overhead reel casting help

Ok. So I just bought my first overhead reel and I thought I new what I was doing but obviously had NFI.

U can guess what happened first cast. Yep, spiders web! I was watching Robson Green extremefishing the other night and he kept doing the same! I thought to myself, mate all you gotta do is drag ya thumb on the spool lightly so it doesnt keep spinning but I tried 4 times and spiderwebs each time.

Can anyone help me with the basics?:unsure:

Depending on what the reel is you may be out of luck as some overhead reels are not designed for casting. If its a lever drag you can pretty much forget about casting it. If it has a star drag and has a tension adjustment you might be alright with a bit of practice, just don't expect to break any distance records.

If you have a high veranda, get a big tinker and free spool it over the side, train your thumb to slow the speed of the reel..Bait casters probably would of been the best to learn with, o and don't spool it with braid, cos when you get birds nests braids almost impossible to free up with out cutting it off not to mention the expense of replacing braid every trip..

the reel you have is a 6/0 and you not ment to cast it not to say you can't it just takes lots of weight and a quick thumb

Penn senator 114h on a 5'6" 15-24kg rod 24kg mono is a nice combo.

good luck on the bullies

q

if you get a bait caster or smaller overhead and want to learn i am willing to teach

Thanks heaps for the advice guys, I found some good articles by googling as well. I read it says not to drag your thumb on the line part of the spool but on the shoulder. I think thats where I'm going wrong or maybe as you said Querty, not really meant for casting. I was trying to cast a whole mullet approx 20cm so I dont think weight would be problem. More practice and untangling and surley it will come :unsure:

Archived