Outside

1800amix

Hey guys,

Wondering if I can get some assistance with bar crossings?

If anyone is available to show me the ropes so to speak I'd love a chance to tag along onboard and get an idea of bar crossings a few times before going out in my own boat.

Other than that, if anyone has any good information please let me know.

Thanks for your help.

Amix

Mate, Tue best advise you could get regarding bar crossings is give bill coreton a call and do his bar crossing course. Them bars are tricky bugger and forever changing, not to mention dangerous and unpredictable..Do the course its worth the money compared to your life and your crews life..

i have had to do a resque on the bar not that long ago after a boat , a 6 meter boat got hit by a pressure wave, not 10 meters beside me, watched it go verticle and then some, thought i was going for a swim myself but had to get a tow rope ready and rigged up in a matter of 2 minutes, all while watching bigger pressure waves comming in and this while the boat was facing the wrong way and being swamped, so pays not only to know how to read the water, but be prepared for anythin crossing a bar.

i would suggest the first few bar crossings should be done with perfect conditions which is the last of the run in tide so there is plenty of water, with a small swell for the day to cross heading out. this has the tide going th same way as the swells so they don't stand up as much on you and then to just follow a wave to come back inside always trying to stay on the back of the wave.

local knoledge is another importent factor for crossings with knowing where the deepest water is which helps dull the wave action and stops you botooming out in the bar. watch the bar for a while and watch where other boats are going through there are bound to be other boats crossing early morning on a good day.

use the web for getting info on swell heights with the latest reports

Some great advice from Tugger there. Best thing you can do as has been voiced by others is get along to Bill Cortin's Bar and off shore boat handling course. You can read and be told all there is to know about getting across the bar but there is nothing like getting in the boat with bill and doing it over and over for conferdence building. All up I think we did about 60 crossings in the day, he will show you how to get across corectly and how to get out of sticky situations, how to tackle white water and best of all it is buckets of fun well worth the money.

the only problem i have with bill's courses is we all dont have 685 cruisy's to cross and play in the bar with , with the hp he has too, i would be smackin some 1 from here up for a trip with you, or you go with them, watch n learn, first time then attempt it in your own boat, or maybe even a day for when people are free here to show others , just a thought, rob. there are always other boat clubs around that venture offshore quite a lot, i'm in pba and they are a good bunch of fellas, always willing to help others.

Archived