Cheap VS Expensive

keen_as

Hey guys, Kiwi boy and myself have discussing the effectiveness of our lures of late.

So I (we) were wondering what are your views on expensive v cheaper lures?

(Say for example The Mega bass cicater v the river 2 sea cicater)

Personally I hate spending over $20 on lure (unless it can send an email and store some files :blink: )

But I've caught just as many if not more fish on its $12 or $13 counterpart.

Would be interested in hearing your views on this.

Cheers

Personal preference mate, the more expensive lures have more r&d put into them so in theory they should work/swim better? - Also have to take into account the split rings/hooks as I've used plenty of cheaper lures and been dissapointed when hooks straighten and or get bent

End of the day, the lure that's in the water the longest catches the most fish.

Having a $30 lure sitting in the tacklebox catching nothing because your afraid to lose it VS always throwing a cheaper lure around and thinking it catches more fish?

Just purchase whatever your comfortable with :D

I tend to seek out waters with cheaper lures before I commit to dearer ones. Having said that sometimes the cheaper ones stay on for quite awhile. One of my best producing lures for bass in dirty water is a berkley bream lure which cost me $5 for a pack of 4 lures.

Dino

They all get snagged equally but it is the expensive ones that are impervious to the tackle back.

Dino got snagged yesterday and after around 10 minutes trying to retrieve it he gave up and broke it off.

Where he got snagged was on the edge of a drop off with a couple of fish showing so I hit the position lock and after around 20 minutes later the lure bobbed up to the surface just in front of the boat.

Cheers

Ray

I'm definitely guilty of sticking to the cheap lures, but they certainly work. By far my favourite flattie lure would have to be a mans stretch, which shouldnt set you back anymore the $10 a pop. As far as cheaper knoxk-offs of expensive lures, i've heard verry good things about the atomic hardz as a knock off of the chubby's. The berey scumdog series also seem to do very well. That said, it is probably more a reflection of the fact that I'm a poor uni student, and that i put my lures in some pretty suicidal places....

I usually fish with lures from the $5-$15 mark, I've had loads of success on the strike pro minnow range ($12.95), and berkely frenzy's ($4 special from big w :woohoo: )

Then old mate picked up some megabass lures, don't get me they're a nice looking, nice swimming lure, but I dunno if I can justify spending $43 on a single lure.

On the cheap lures I'll always upgrade the split and hooks though.

Thanks.

Keep the replies coming though guys, very interesting.

I won't buy a $40+ lure, but doubt it would catch as many fish as a frenzy around $4.

I have no problem throwing one right up deep into a snag. A megabass would not get into the strikezone for fear of losing it. Losing a lure to a fish is bearable, to a snag not so much.

I won't buy a $40+ lure, but doubt it would catch as many fish as a frenzy around $4.

I have no problem throwing one right up deep into a snag. A megabass would not get into the strikezone for fear of losing it. Losing a lure to a fish is bearable, to a snag not so much.

Agreed. And there is no way that a $40 lure is going to end up catching anywhere near as much as 10 x $4 lures, especially when you take into account the range of colours you can buy etc.

Ok Ok Ok Keen_as lol we both know i have lots and i mean lots of Megabass/Chubbys/Atomic and other expensive lures, and yes every time we go fishing we catch the same sometimes you will catch more on your $5 $10 $15 D lures. I realy do understand that the cheep lures do as well as $45 D lures. But i just cant help my self when i see a nice lure that i dont have, its almost like an obcession well it is and obcession..... The more i buy the more i need :pinch:.........

But on the other hand some people appreciate quality lures and the way the lure works in the water. Some people would call me '''Mad''' but the difference is when I open my Tackel Box and people see my gear i get wow nice gear and when you open your box you get oh lol hahahahahahah.

So the answer is.... Yes cheep lures work just as well as $40 D lures but the cheep lures look cheep and when people look inside your Tackel Box you wont get a wow... The only time you will get a wow is when you catch a big fish on a cheep lure. ;) :woohoo: :ohmy:

i reckon it depends entirely on the fish your chasing. Some finicky fish the real expensive lures leave the cheapies for dust. But some fish dont really care. It also depends on how much you pay for them. I have bought about 20 megabass/lucky craft lures off ebay aand the most im prepared to pay is 12 dollars. If you shop around you find deals but you have to have time to look. I got 3 megabass silent vibes for 18dollars once and they retail at $40 each in tacklewarhouse. my 2 cents haha

To me it's not so much about buying cheap or expensive, it's about getting lures that will do the job.

If you look around you'll find lots of cheap lures that have a good action, but you'll also find many more that are complete garbage.

My bass box sitting in my back pack has a range from $10 to $25.

Right now I'm looking at RMG, Arbogast, Lucky Craft, Jackall, TT, Atomic, Tiemco, Spro, Ecogear, Sebile, River2Sea, Cotton Cordell, Jazz. Koppers and Megabass. All swim really well, are a good weight for the gear I use and all have hooked bass.

And I never pay full price for things like Megabass, use your head and you can get them dirt cheap.

I try to get lures that are slightly out of the ordinary, due to the fact that I want to give the fish something different to look at. Quite often this means I pay a little more, especially because I like detailed colours/patterns, which I haven't found much of with cheap lures. I have also had too many cheap ones that are totally rubbish. Typically I will spend between $15.00 and $25.00, with Sebile and R2S being my mainstays (they are my go-to lures). By some standards, this is cheap, but with my pay cheque, it is a decent amount, with quality assured.

Cheers,

Ryan.

I refuse to pay more than about $13 for a lure. I don't use them that often but always keep an eye out for specials and if I think they may come in handy, I grab them. Was in BCF a couple of months ago and they had Oar-Gee Oarsomes (13cm deep diving minnow) in the bargain box for $2. No idea what they usually sell for, would imagine around the $13 mark, but was wrapt last night when reading an article about fishing Monduran (going there next weekend so trying to get an idea of what SORT of lures I need, then I'll look for cheap ones that can do the job) and I noticed the Oar-Gees were one of the authors top 5 trolling lures. SCORE!!

It always pays to keep an eye out for bargains.

Archived