Work Holiday

ryanyoung

G'day All,

A trip earlier this year down to Victoria with work gave a couple of opportunities to explore the Central Victorian fishing scene. I took my yak down, with an assortment of rods, and the target species included Murray Cod, Big Yellas, Trout and Redfin.

Once down there, the opportunities to go fishing were actually pretty slim, with work getting in the way a fair bit, and also high winds and floods, however I still managed to get out on a few occasions.

A pond just behind work turned out to be filled with Redfin, which weren't too shy about taking a lure, so I had the yak out there three or four times over the three weeks, whilst the other locations included the Goulburn River and Lake Eildon.

post-5695-14459858734_thumb.jpg

post-5695-144598587345_thumb.jpg

The trip to Eildon had been getting me excited all that week prior, and on the day, we packed the ute with the camping gear and rods, and took off bright and early. Unfortunately, the wind was blowing a gale for the majority of the weekend, and also the spot chosen on the lake for the camsite wasn't exactly know for producing big fish. The lake surface turned to a severe chop for most of the day, making precision fishing untenable due to the very high winds.

post-5695-144598587708_thumb.jpg

post-5695-144598587714_thumb.jpg

post-5695-144598587718_thumb.jpg

post-5695-144598587722_thumb.jpg

All up, all I managed while down there were bulk loads of redfin on lure. The opportunities to target other fish for the entire trip were limited, as trolling was pretty much non-existant, and I couldn't stay in position long enough at any snag to drop a decent cast in.

post-5695-144598587726_thumb.jpg

post-5695-144598587731_thumb.jpg

post-5695-144598587735_thumb.jpg

It was still a fun trip, and I am itching to get back down that way, as the fishing scene is very active, with some great fish just waiting to be caught.....If the wind and floods ever recede ha ha ha!!!!

Cheers, and thanks for reading.

Ryan.

Awesome report Ryan!

Those redfin look like fun, do they go hard?

The bigger ones (around 35cm), peel a very limited amount of drag, however for the most part, they are pretty lazy fish. It amazed me that I caught two on the one lure on several occasions, something I have never done before, but apparently, this is pretty normal when you cast into a school of them.

Cheers,

Ryan.

Archived