Moreton Bay Sink Hole

Gcarj

Hello Lads,

I have stumbled across an article about a sink hole found in the bay a couple of years back now and want to find out if it is any good for a fish. Some reports ive read say that is nothing special but would like to give it ago if i could find the GPS co-ordinates for it!!

Ive seen maps etc but they only show a dot as to where the thing is.

I realize this is a stupid request as im sure if it is any good at producing fish, the last thing someone wants is others finding out where it is.............still there is a chance i guess.

Hope someone can help

Thanks Heaps

righto, guess we'll be readin bout ya, hahahah man dives to new lows !

keep us posted, i do however have marks for that part of the bay which is 34 meters deep, but barron ground, tip is to fish the edges where this depth comes up and in places to 5/7 meters ! wink wink !

Yeah I read a report of an expedition down in there and like you said was pretty barren. Still that report was a couple of years back.

Even if there were fish in there my fish finder wouldn't know, only had my boat for a couple of months and never seen these arch's that are meant to be fish. Its a discontinued Lowrance model and think it might be time to get a new one.

oh ive found it;) you dont even know you are on it when you directly over it haha

you can sight fish it using land marks iam probly goin to blow it for alot of blokes that do fish it but there nothin there any way :lol: :lol: or is there :woohoo: and ya gota know how to fish it so dont woory chaps

um righto so you come out of the mouth of the river hang a right head to saint helena way and strait away theres a clear water beacon stairing you in the face go to that beacon mark it on ya gps head exactly east towards mud ploting the track as you go on your gps keep the track as straight as possibl heading exactly east until you get to mud.when you get to the western side of mud go right around to the eastern side. now what you wana do is use the tracked line on the gps that you ploted from the beacon to mud and project that line through to where you are on the eastern side of mud now head east past the green zone and its not far out of the eastern side of the green zone either. when you come accross about 24mtrs of water you in the area. start scouting. iam not going to give you the exact gps you can find it your self i had to :P now this is the cool part. finding it on the sounder- the sink hole is very dirty down there heaps of disturbed silt and the sounder never has a good reading,theres lots of what looks like interferance etc but its the silt that ya sounders picking up on and gives the illusion that its only about 18 or so mtrs deep its so funny when boats scream over thinking iam on it(which iam) only to watch em sound around and piss off as fast as they come cause they think its shallow :lol: so there atip from 24 - 20 - 18 deep on ya sounder if you divide the distance from mud to moreton in to four its pritty much on the begining of the last quarter i cant make it any easier for you with out a mark good luck. there is nearly always a lone boat sitting on it rarly see 2 or 3 sittin on it.

let us know how ya go not fishin wise just let us know if my directions a spot on :)

mick

only 1 way to go ! FURUNO bradda. a bit overkill for the bay, my tip is get 1 you can understand whats it's showing you on the screen and user friendly.i'll pm those marks to ya

, probably be tomorrow

and they wont be 100 km off the coast either, only 40 hahahahaha,

Mate, get yourself a decent set of maps.

I can see the sink hole from my iphone, its hardly top secret

27 21.160S

153 20.419 E

On the nav maps its 27 metres deep, surrounding areas are 15 metres

Edit: that will put you in the middle of the spot. looks about 200m wide though

Haha,

Don't worry mate I read the whole message. It took 3 goes and a cuppa in between. The length of that gobbledy goop makes me think this topic has come up before and you have it ready to cut and paste for some silly buggar like me.........

Cheers bud

27 21.160S

153 20.419 E

oh you run with that terry. :)

i just ploted your marks in the equipment in the boat thats in the green zone inline with nrth of crab island. the sink hole is off the point at kounungai bloody I phones aint as good as there cracked up to be ay.

that was a good effort but

27 21.160S

153 20.419 E

oh you run with that terry. :)

i just ploted your marks in the equipment in the boat thats in the green zone inline with nrth of crab island. the sink hole is off the point at kounungai bloody I phones aint as good as there cracked up to be ay.

that was a good effort but

Haha. Whoops, didn't check marine parks. There is a hole there though, according to navionics maps. Just its smack bang in the middle of the Marine Park :P

27 17.312S

153 20.678E

However is something that is not in the marine parks, and looks a bit closer to the money I think. Fits in line with previous stories about size too.

Is that any closer mick?

better spots than that around if ya know how to fish em, i just dont have the, ummmm urge anymore i guess.oi nitris ya suspect , you still alive dude ?

still got the dreds ? lol

Hey mate.. yeh i still got the dreads, getting nice and long now.. i don't get around on the forums much as its a big tease reading all the fun u guys have up here and im in the mountains.. I will be moving back up in 3 weeks permently, so im keen as to get some salt water fishing happening. I recently bough 2 hobie yaks too one adventure and one revolution. So really keen to give them a work out. been using the adventure a lot down here catching trout and redfin. You will be reading a lot more from me soon. Great to hear u have not forgot about me :) :dry:

oh ive found it;) you dont even know you are on it when you directly over it haha

you can sight fish it using land marks iam probly goin to blow it for alot of blokes that do fish it but there nothin there any way :lol: :lol: or is there :woohoo: and ya gota know how to fish it so dont woory chaps

um righto so you come out of the mouth of the river hang a right head to saint helena way and strait away theres a clear water beacon stairing you in the face go to that beacon mark it on ya gps head exactly east towards mud ploting the track as you go on your gps keep the track as straight as possibl heading exactly east until you get to mud.when you get to the western side of mud go right around to the eastern side. now what you wana do is use the tracked line on the gps that you ploted from the beacon to mud and project that line through to where you are on the eastern side of mud now head east past the green zone and its not far out of the eastern side of the green zone either. when you come accross about 24mtrs of water you in the area. start scouting. iam not going to give you the exact gps you can find it your self i had to :P now this is the cool part. finding it on the sounder- the sink hole is very dirty down there heaps of disturbed silt and the sounder never has a good reading,theres lots of what looks like interferance etc but its the silt that ya sounders picking up on and gives the illusion that its only about 18 or so mtrs deep its so funny when boats scream over thinking iam on it(which iam) only to watch em sound around and piss off as fast as they come cause they think its shallow :lol: so there atip from 24 - 20 - 18 deep on ya sounder if you divide the distance from mud to moreton in to four its pritty much on the begining of the last quarter i cant make it any easier for you with out a mark good luck. there is nearly always a lone boat sitting on it rarly see 2 or 3 sittin on it.

let us know how ya go not fishin wise just let us know if my directions a spot on :)

mick

:huh: :huh: I can't tell if this is a joke or serious??

what dont you like my mud map henry?? :lol:

thanks for makin me read it again. the only thing i picked up on is that i stated its east of the green zone it should have read north east of the green zone. and do i eva joke :blink::P

mick

oh another tip on a slightly chopy day it looks like an oil slick patch amongst the chop on the surface.now iam really makin it to easy

Having a boat is new to me............i am loving it. Its all I think about at work now. At this stage im happy to use as much petrol as my tank will hold. I dont rule out any fishing locations including the rivers.

I just like to explore I guess. Have you tried the sink hole mate? With a fish like the one in your picture im guessing you might have stopped by on the way through???

what dont you like my mud map henry?? :lol:

thanks for makin me read it again. the only thing i picked up on is that i stated its east of the green zone it should have read north east of the green zone. and do i eva joke :blink::P

mick

oh another tip on a slightly chopy day it looks like an oil slick patch amongst the chop on the surface.now iam really makin it to easy

i read it after having a few and had to read it 4 or 5 times... I trust ya mick B) But I know you have a sense of humour too :D

This hole is not what drives me. I guess having the thing in the GPS gives me more options and opportunities to catch some nice fish if I'm in that particular area. Mate as we all know the more you get out there and fish and tap into sites like this the chance of catching what your holding steadily increases.

Cheers

na its FU****

ya seriously better off tring to crack the pattern of mud island learning how to read the run off from the island where the fish will hang at certain times of the tide on the edges of which ledges figuring out times of year for diferant bait congragations and where they hold,working out the the water temps hot and cold side of the island on certain tidal flow you never stop learning from that place.i love mud

Archived