Wellington Point Trip - 27th May 2007

Angus

Well good day had by all i think.

I arrived with my dad at about 6:30 and was greeted by a few guys already getting their boats in the water.

Dad and i got the yaks in the water and followed the markers all the way out and then driften left. There were loads of small fish around like grassy sweetlip, bream and squire. I managed a couple of these but no decent fish in the bag.

Dad on the other hand...... well lets just say he outfished me.

Using coles bought octopi (he seriously had the same piece on all day), dad managed a good snapper measuring 56cm. From a distance i knew he was onto a good fish from the start as it was giving the heavy gear a work out. Not bad for his first salt water trip in the yak!

Before going in he also managed a good sized cod measuring 41cm. Hmmm dinner.

After the fishing we met a whole bunch of AFO members for a bbq and drink. Thanks to everyone that made it today and it was great to see some new faces.

Ill let everyone else add their bit now as all in all we covered a lot of ground today.

Cheers

Angus

P.S. I am going to write a Bush N Beach article on the day so please if you have any good pics email them to me at angus@australianfishing.com.au

Cheers once again!!!!

P.P.S Pictures will be posted tonight.

Well we headed out about 6pm sat and headed to SW of peel fished for hours with out a touch :evil:

we then moved to the channell marker and got hammered by undersized bream/snapper /sweetlip etc

the rain set in and the wind started to blow :S

mind you no where the 20 knots predicted

we laid down for a nap under the bimini at about 4am I woke cold and wet I looked for Rosscoe he was nowhere to be found $%$%$# where is he I mean to say in a 4.1 mtr tinnie there's not much room to hide I yelled out and a voice came back and out crawled Rosscoe from under the bow how the ##%%& he got in there has got me

pic included

we gave up @ 11am and headed to the BBQ

which was great swapped some tales met new faces and had a good feed

all in all apart from a shitty nite a good day

well done Angus [img size=475]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/rosscoe.jpg

post-536-144598415844_thumb.jpg

Angus, I have sent you some photo's.

Well Alex and I rolled up about 6:30, Ray had been out since about 5. Called Ray on the mobile, he was just pulling up at the ramp to pick us up when Angus rolled up. A quick hello, confirmation of BBQ time and reef location, and we were of.

Bites were constant, but not much luck for us, although we did see some quality fish caught. Best we got was Alex, 2nd drop of the day got a 27cm Bream.

Then I got this small trevally looking thing with speckles and stripes, which had taken a pilchard about 1/4 of its size. Was asking Ray what he thought it might be when it spiked me. I then figured it was a happy moment,:pinch: which Ray then confirmed.

Alex also got a good sized leather jacket, a big school of mackeral broke surface next to us chasing bait, but were gone as fast as they showed up!

Also a couple of dolphins leaping in and out of the water at one stage, as well as a green turtle that kept showing up every half hour or so for a look.

We caught quite a few small reef fish, dunno what most of them were, the Happy moments kept on taking the pillies regularly, were not a bad size, to 30cm. tried a couple as livies but the big bities obviously knew what they were, because not a bite on them!

About 11:30ish we headed back to the ramp for a BBQ and a yarn. Great day, great company, it does not get any better! (Ok I could have caught the snapper, but seeing someone from the AFO pull one in was almost as good! ) [img size=493]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Alex_and_bream.JPG

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2007/05/27 16:16

post-134-144598415848_thumb.jpg

Yep , Had a good day & met some new faces and caught up with someothers.Looks like \"Kriso\" is going to be another Kooka recrute now he has a boat.

All in all another great AFO outing, Thanks to the organisers.:)

Feral ; Those happy moments are one of the best \"livies\" for coral trout, up north just watch out fr the spikey bits :angry: & hook through the snout.

No worries, will have to throw my old roo skinning stainless mesh glove in to my fishing tackle!

rest of my photo's are in the bay and isles gallery.

Close up of the leather jackets belly. Looks like he might glow in the dark, must of been eating little fish out of the Brisbane river! :whistle:

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2007/05/27 16:49

post-134-144598415861_thumb.jpg

thanks for the snags angus they were great. wasnt to much going on at the jetty got a 30cm flat head at about 6am then things started dying off . there where heaps of little happy moments and striped trumpeter around the jetty that would steal your bait as soon as it hit the water. entertainment for the day was 5 romanian back packers that where using 12ft beach rods and managing to catch every boat as is cast directly infront of the boat ramp each time. and then his mate started his borat impersonations wich kept us amused.

great to meet every one that turned up and look forward to the next one!

thnks for a great day angus well done!

Well myself, bud and my mate ray headed out at 5 this morning, we didnt have much of a clue and ended up closer to green island im pretty sure. Didnt really get much after 20 minutes and then bang my line was off. it ended up busting after about 5 minutes fight i was so angry but a great fight my best ever : ) (note to self, take larger gear next time)

we fished near green, then back to the reef where we saw jordan paddling in like, tralling for tuna pretty hard work mate? :pinch: then after a keen session of fish feeding at the reef we packed up and went down to cleveland to try a spot bud was very familiar with....well it turned out so good im sorry guys but we didnt end up making it back for the BBQ.

our day ended being

3-4 shovel nose sharks, 1 leather jacket, a couple grinner, 4 moses perch, 6-7 squire (all undersized), 3 grassy sweetlip, 1 flathead, 1 bream, soul fish, a squid. keepers were leather jacket, flathead and soul fish (sorry bud forgot it was in the esky mate :( )

My best day fishing ever, a big shout out to bud for showing me that spot....karma to you buddy. photo is my rod on the easy part of the fight that busted off

kriso wrote:

thanks for the snags angus they were great. wasnt to much going on at the jetty got a 30cm flat head at about 6am then things started dying off . there where heaps of little happy moments and striped trumpeter around the jetty that would steal your bait as soon as it hit the water. entertainment for the day was 5 romanian back packers that where using 12ft beach rods and managing to catch every boat as is cast directly infront of the boat ramp each time. and then his mate started his borat impersonations wich kept us amused.

great to meet every one that turned up and look forward to the next one!

thnks for a great day angus well done!

Hey kriso - which one are you? I am trying to put faces together. :S

Lozzel - sorry mate - last time I saw you it was about 3.00am - It didn't click with me until you got in your car. :blush:

Sorry I was late guys - family stuff - but for the short time I was there it was nice - good turn out.;)

Angus if your dad keeps catching fish like hat maybe you should leave him at home. Cheack out his smile - Well done Doc.:)

As everyone else has already stated it was a great day the weather was much better than expected. This I was greatful for I had left my raincoat at home and had visions of myself cold and soaked.

I spent most of the time feeding fish with soft plastics.

When we got out near the Huybers I anchored up on the edge of the drop off and could see heaps of fish on the sounder and when young Alex scored a 27cm bream before I even got a line in the water I thought HERE WE GO !

How wrong can you be. There was a guy near us who was drifting across the edge of the drop off and we saw him get a few nice fish while we fed the happy moments.

They just loved my soft plastics nipping the tails off everything.

I didnt object too much with the cheepo ones but objected when they chomped up my 5 for $10.45 neuclear chicken berkley gulps.

One day I am going to catch something apart from a grinner on a soft plastic.

I have no photos as all I caught was 2 happy moments when I borrowed some prawns off Alex.

It was good to meet some new faces and renew acquatiances with old ones.

Brian I feel for your knee.

Ray

Post edited by: rayke1938, at: 2007/05/27 18:59

A great day out indeed the weather gods were on side,the fishing gods were fickle , had a great time all things considered thanks to master sardines for the boat ride, karma to you ,and to krisso for the great kebabs ,great snags too Angus . little fish abounded but it was fun can t wait for the next bbq day no pics flat battery's :(

I must also says thanks to all who bought along some tucker, Angus for the snags, Krisco the Kebabs and master sardines I thing brought the onions I can remember, although that snapper didn't seem to make the BBQ plate Angus......

Hey all,

yep it was a nice day. I was there, just didn't say hi to anyone except Angus. I had to leave before the BBQ, so didn't get to say hi to all. I sorta didn't really want to walk around and ask randoms on the jetty if they were from the AFO site.:blush: I could just imagine the odd looks i might have recieved if not:blink: .

I was the loner asian dude, with a skye blue sling bag.

Once again no fish for me.

Anyway, as for the fishing after 2 hours of casting out a prawn star, sx40, laser pro and ck50. Not even a flattie. I tried off the jetty ofr a bit, but then walked the foreshore between the mainland and that little island.

Glad to hear though that overall it was an average days fishing for veryone. Means that its not just me not catching fish.:)

anyway the photo gods are messing with my head so I am going to leave it for today and try again tomorrow. Thanks for the spot in the boat oceandonkey it was a great day. We decided to leave the reefs as we were all running out of bait way too quickly. Time got away on us and before we knew it we missed the barbie..sorry guys..next time. We really hooked onto some big fish out there that were way to big for the gear we went with but hey they remain there to be caught next time...I think you were right oceandonkey they were probably wahoo so we might have almost won the fish of the month if we were better prepared:P :whistle: . Thanks again guys. It was great to meet you angus and to see jordan the crazy cat paddling and looking very tired. One last question someone came up to me early in the morning about 5ish at the jetty and asked if I was chris...was that a afo member, ( I was still half asleep and didn't think about it till later.) if you were then hello. Will try the pictures at another date.

Lozzel wrote:

Do$tylz ; you should have said something,That was Kriso and myself fishing either side of you on the beach.

Anyway next time mate I'll say something like \"HIYA\".

Yeah I know I should have. :unsure: Well at least now I know what you and Kriso look like so its easier to say hi for next time :)What sort of paddletail plastics were you using? I saw it had an extra floppy tail.

Tim a wrote:

Yeah bud this definatly was a wahoo... even though we didnt have any visual confirmation i could just tell it was 100% wahoo. since there is no entries for fish of the month this is mine ahahahah just jks

Archived