10lb , sp's and hard metal bay day!

wesfish

last night was sitting at home and thinking of a fix of fishing to test me out a bit, so michael and i decided a bay day with nothing but 10lb braid out fits :silly: using only soft plastics and hard metal lures for thee entire day. we set off in fair conditions and headed straight for mud. straight up a few small squire boated on sp's, then a lil trev. after a while it just wasnt enough fun so i made the choice to head to moreton island for some mack fun on 10 lb, the wind was up the swell was up but thankfully the wind was behind us and made for a cruisey trip with the odd thud or surf a wave. swell about 1.2mtr.

first drop and i was on to a nice schoolie followed by michael being dusted up in no time to a screaming run :ohmy: i then landed a few more schoolies before michael finally landed his first mack :woohoo:

we switched to sp's for a while and landed heaps of under size squire with the odd grinner. jusst spent the day chillin out in the sun and the swell and wind dropped off to nearly nothing. we pulled the anchor around 1:30pm and thought just a few more drops on the beacon in drift mode. i scored another schoolie and michael had a few strikes, quick rest of drift and on a high speed retrieve i was on to what i thought was just another schoolie til it took off screaming the saros and making the braid sing. cchased it for a while when it went deep and a hard slug played on the lil t curve 2-5kg bream rod with no real butt about it so all the pressure on the wrist. a few changes in line angle using the boat finally got to see colour. first thought long tail but turned out to be a 85cm mack tuna :woohoo: oh well it was the best battle i had in a while B) called it quits and headed home across the bay with a huge .2 swell :lol: cruised at 30k/ph the whole way back to conserve fuel.

post-4300-144598593407_thumb.jpg

post-4300-144598593413_thumb.jpg

post-4300-144598593418_thumb.jpg

post-4300-144598593423_thumb.jpg

michaels first mack

post-4300-144598593428_thumb.jpg

post-4300-144598593433_thumb.jpg

post-4300-144598593439_thumb.jpg

post-4300-144598593444_thumb.jpg

post-4300-144598593448_thumb.jpg

great session wes!! what size leader were u using?
60lb black magic tough trace about 80cm long , black swivel then main line 10lb braid, the swivel is needed with the high speed jigging :) oh and 40gram chromies with single live bait hook instead of treble.

Well done Wes!

My little bass are feeling a lot smaller now...

Angus

:lol: but i agree fishing the way you guys did today is highly rated in my book ;):) i actually planned to fish the fresh in a similar area tomorrow for a change in pace and less stress on the wrist :silly: :lol: :lol:

Top stuff mate. I was watching the wind readings all day and thought this arvo would have been gold - 6 knots according to the BOM. Also interested in fuel consumption and how big is your tinny ?
cheers

tinnie just a stacer proline old shape 395 long shaft, i clocked up just over 90ks today and have about 2 maybe 3 litres left from 25ltrs, i suggest 10 ltr spare jerry can just in case plus allows for more exploring, the fuel consumption today was good as i only travelled at 20-30k/ph no flat out wide open stuff, if itts glassed out and you intend to hammer then a spare 15-20ltr on top of the 25 litres on board. better to be safe then sorry :)

good stuff dude... how much fuel do you burn for the whole trip? good sized mac tuna there... how do you eat them? i've always thrown them back as people reckon they're only good for bait.
i burnt about 22 ltrs this trip, the mack tuna i gave to a mates dad as he loves em ;)

Cool, thanks wesfish. My tinny is the same size as yours with a 25 yammy, although yours looks like it might be the twin carb version, which is meant to be better on fuel than my single carb grunter. I did 43 km for 17 lt the other week :pinch: . Then I looked at my motor which was sitting way too low. Lifted up now and ready for a run.

Great report WesF, just love the idea - I'll have to give it a go.

So tell me, the esky was too small?

[attachment=31775]P4021123800x600.jpg[/attachment]

I'm thinking maybe it was to bleed it? Really not too sure though, just a guess

nice fish wes, cant believe your shirt looks dry in those pics, how fast were you going in the little bugger on the way over?
i was dry all day ;) if i had to travel back in the same conditions into the wind then it would have been a lil spray. for a small tinnie its a dry tinnie due to shape :) oh and on the way over just on the plane taking it easy.

Archived