Casuarina NSW 30/3-2/4

Jords

Headed down to a mates place at Casuarina for a couple of nights, dragged the kayak down to have a bit of a fish. Was planning on trying to head offshore with the kayak just to see what was around, paddle down to cabarita etc. These plans were ruined when i woke up the first morning and dragged the yak down to the beach to be confronted by 4ft + swell. chickened out as it would have been my first time taking the yak out, and was planning on the usual measly swell. Change of plans, so drove up to cudgen creek for a fish that arvo. Trolled a few hb's as i scoped out the creek, looked reasonably fishy, but only landed one small bream on a cheap ebay jointed lure. As i went up further decided to give my new $7 Rapala skitterpop a go, so quick flick into a fishy looking snag, twitch twitch, smack, new underwear needed.....

Failed to hookup as in my shock of actually getting a strike i managed to rip the lure the 20m out of the water to have it land next to me. Right, back into the snag with that one! Got a few more strikes over the next 20 minutes, then paddled further up to a new snag. Stayed here for a good hour, got hit after hit but only the one brief hookup, followed by a jump, followed by the hooks being thrown. It looked to me like a tarpon, not sure if they are down that way though. it then went quiet so started paddling home. Stopped at one spot where a little creek pokes it's head out near some mangroves for another flick. Had a few swirls, and finally got smashed on the surface, line pulls tight and PING, that small wind not that formed in the braid a few casts earlier, that you thought wouldn't matter? just cost you the fish :pinch: :pinch: :pinch: :pinch: :pinch: . Severely disheartened, paddled back to the car.

Came back the next afternoon, without so much as a follow over about 4 hours :pinch: . Oh well, hopefully next time!

Hahah. I love that shock when you get a massive surface hit and you sh*t your pants :D

Yeah good call on not launching in that sort of swell. I'm still scarred by the last offshore taking trip I did.

hahah yeah especially becasue it's the first time I really gave surface fishing a crack. Still glad about my choice to stay inshore, except for the fact my mate went out surfing and was talking about the ridiculous quantities of baitfish sitting 100m offshore :(

Archived