What fish to bleed

Paul Smith

hey guys, just a question about what fish do you bleed when you catch them.

at the moment I am still waiting to catch something, but when and if I do how do I know to bleed it or not.

do you have to bleed the fish.

next question what is the best way to do it if you are going to bleed.

any help would be great.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Any fish you catch and intend to eat is good to bleed and put on ice (or moreso ice slurry).

So all your fish :) I normally slit the connection between the body and head (the V connection at the bottom of the gills) and pull their head back to snap their neck.

Species which I think are good eating if eaten fresh (so bled, iced and eaten same day)

Dart

Tailor

Trevalley (you'll find most Trevs taste pretty crap but Golden Trevalley etc go aight)

Mackeral

Keep in mind, I am not a very big fish eater. I pretty much just stick to sashimi religiously :) Fresh is best B)

I'll have to disagree with Malram here... Trevs taste fantastic. Eaten on the same day their flesh is firm, white and with minimal "fishy" smell. It just smells like the ocean. To ensure a nice flavour fillet, skin and cut out the blood line down the middle of the fillet on the skinned side. Its the blood that makes it taste a bit off.

I'll have to disagree with Malram here... Trevs taste fantastic. Eaten on the same day their flesh is firm, white and with minimal "fishy" smell. It just smells like the ocean. To ensure a nice flavour fillet, skin and cut out the blood line down the middle of the fillet on the skinned side. Its the blood that makes it taste a bit off.

totally agree...works well with freshly acquired sea mullet( freshly = out of sea..not out of seafood display case)and other dark meat fish.

thanks for the replys guys, thats what I wanted to hear, If I am going to keep it bleed it.

next question what is ice slurry, is it just ice in a esk.:dry:

thanks

Paul

Adding saltwater (sea water) to the ice, like a big slushy, the salt water and ice mix stay extremely cold and keep your fish very fresh yet not frozen

I think you can also do it with freshwater however you need to add salt to it, can't remember the ratio though,

with an ice slurry I use bought bag/s of crushed ice (party ice has pockets of air in them)or I use broken up home made blocks,if around dirty rivers or creeks, I use fresh water with a good heaped 1 and a half handfulls of coarse salt(you can get it from some butchers or pool salt)with a normal size plastic bucket of water.

If your in clean salt water use that with a hand full of salt per bag of ice,because your melting ice (if bought) is fresh water.Then just add a rough handfull of salt with each new bag of ice,if/as required

Archived