Tillies, carp or catfish for a meal

Shimanobwoie

Hey everyone just out of curiosity has anybody eaten either a tilly, carp or catfish. I've always seen foreign cooking shows cooking one of these species. I dont eat any seafood at all nor will i in the future.

Do you think it has something to do with these foreign country not having quality fish like australia has or just they prefer it in some strange way?

They're just the same as bream or cod to the nations they're native to.

It's just we see them as noxious species and that transfers to the psyche about them on the plate.

I've heard tillies are good table fare.

Bassa is sold here - it is just catfish.

Eel tailed catties from clean water are nice on the plate. Can go tough if over cooked though.

Forkies, not a huge fan, and the bone structure behind the pectoral fins means you get a tiny fillet for the length of the fish.

Carp - wouldn't even contemplate eating it

Tillies - yum (not that I have tried it of course)

Edit: any of the above species can be at times found in small stagnant water holes. Really wouldn't want to eat anyfish from such conditions...

They're just the same as bream or cod to the nations they're native to.

It's just we see them as noxious species and that transfers to the psyche about them on the plate.

I've heard tillies are good table fare.

Bassa is sold here - it is just catfish.

plus 1.

tillies or bream as they are called in southern africa are good eating. however like most species their taste reflects the enviroment from which they come (murky stale muddy waters equal nasty fillets)

I am wondering what bassa actually is?

I am chinese and we do eat carp... but u have to put lots of chilli and ginger and lots of spice to cover that smell, and i have to say that carp is really smart ( at least in Asia, never fish carp in oz). Lots of bones, so not popular in Australia, but heard that many people in europe do eat them.

tillies are actually very nice... thick fillet on them... google "eating carp" in youtube... the decision is yours :sick:

as for catfish... got some big ones from mouth of river 2 years ago.. tried a fork full and spat it out.

Uncle loves it though..

Give em a go, let us know how you go.

cheers

I have eaten them all.

Tilapia are very good.

Tandans are good.

Carp is good but a bit bony. I have eaten carp out of the muddy condamine and enjoyed it. Just rolled it in flour and fried in butter.Also enjoyed it in China where they had removed all the bones.

Forkies?

When I used to buy at the Brisbane fish markets around 40 years ago you would have been amazed at how much forky carcase went through the markets and at good prices.

The fish and chip shops loved them as little waste . They sold them as cod.

Had it in Thailand and very good.( Dried catfish soup yum)

Have eaten it when younger and it was pretty average but maybe it was the preparation and cooking method because I eat it every time we are in Thailand and it is great.

I would challenge anyone to correctly identify any of the above if it was correctly prepared and presented in a restaurant and called Tahitian trout.

Cheers

Ray

You have to dispose of them somewhere There are locations where you are not allowed to dispose of them and have to transport them elsewhere.

The carp at Condamine went straight from the river to the frypan.

Wonder what the fine is for chucking dead tilapia out the window while travelling down the Gateway?

Cheers

Ray.

To be honest, Im a Ausy guy and have been to Malaysia, china , hong kong, thailand, and a few more, and I have never asked what type of fish it is that im eating, but i garrantee that i would have eaten carp over there, but why i would not know for sure is because of how they cook it, all different sauces and spices can make the most crap fish taste like one that would cost you $100 to buy.

Has anyone ever tasted stingray, on its own its very dull taste, but cook it with some good chillie sauce and mmmm so good.

I've never had tillie's or cattie, but I've had carp a couple of times, minced up bones and all in fish cakes, :sick: :sick: :sick: .

Kept in fresh water for 3 days after catching to filter out the muddy taste, (don't really work...)

And fillets rolled in flour and fried. Yep, still tasted like crapola. :sick: :sick:

Dad used to cook any fork tail catties we caught on camping trips when we were kids. Obviously a bit fiddly to get the fillets but was always nice white meat and taste fine. From what I've heard they are no good if caught in saltwater. Haven't tried the other species mentioned. Funnily enough - for some reason we never ate any eel tailed catties we caught - although I don't remember us catching any that were much bigger than 30cm.

Tilles good

Carp havent tried'

Catfish, eel tail good

Fork tail, caught in saltwater, it's all in the preparation and cooking, a friend of mine won't eat catfish but loves the river cod fillets I bring back for her.LOL

Also know a pro fisherman that has sold tons of it as mixed reef after soaking the fillets in a good brine solution.

Cheers Martin

Archived