Fishing & Photography =D

51MPL

Just throwing this up quickly to see if there is any pro shooters out there?

I searched already and there used to be a thread 3 years ago asking the site for a photograhy section - Could this still be achieved? Is there even any interest out there?

It's a major part of the game we play and it's always a good feeling when you get home and see that at least some of your pics turned out alright.

If there's enough interest i'll start another thread but;

Who out there is shooting with what?

Mostly DSLR's (anyone with high-end full frame?) .. Or even point and shoot? (they can produce awsome shots!)

What settings are you using? (gives us noobies some help to try take better pictures) // General composition tips? // How low are you going with your f-stop?

I hope this takes off so anyone and everyone let me know what you think and more importantly upload some pics so we can see your handy work! *wave* at Sweresy & Doobs - you guys always come home with some schmick photos =]

I'll start off, recently purchased a dslr off mark (plasticfantastic); It is a Sony Alpha A100; brilliant little cam. My first dslr and helped me learn a lot; still have it but been using my sisters d7000 recently and boy I wish I had enough moolah for one.

So; d7000 // 50mm prime f1.8 // 18-55 // 75-200 // & a Sherpa tripod

Having so much fun shooting lately but have mainly been doing cars;

post-5277-144598601274_thumb.jpg

Here's a crap pic i took the other night; any pro's out there wanna shed some light into where i even begin to start editing? I've realised now i should have shot it twice; once for the car and again for the background but too late for that now so where do i even begin?

Yeah its a good idea Khoi and would be seriously considered if there was enough interest. I myself would personally be keen but try not to let my personal likes/dislikes effect the site to much.

I actually thought ages ago how cool it would be to approach a photography shop to get them to sponsor and judge a photography competition. I mean in all seriousness have you ever wondered why no digital camera company has made an active push to market direct to rec fisho's...

Angus

i personally think it's a great idea :cheer:

I'm not a great photographer but i know when i get enough cash i want a dslr. It would also be great just to see all the really good photos members take. Plus tips would be amazing!

I for one reckon it's a great idea and could also be linked with videos cameras as well as a possibility

Great idea! I picked up a canon 450D a year or 2 ago. Photography is one of about 5 hobbies for me and I go through waves, got right into photography about 6 months ago, then bought a boat :whistle: but I still pull the camera out a bit. Heres one I took at Pt Arkwright up the coast a while back

Fisherman+-++New+Edit.jpg

This was taken beside the Shornclife Pier

4870346072_9c43079861_b.jpg

Here is a meteor falling over the shipwreck at Dickies beach

post-1348-144598601342_thumb.jpg

Yeah its a good idea Khoi and would be seriously considered if there was enough interest. I myself would personally be keen but try not to let my personal likes/dislikes effect the site to much.

I actually thought ages ago how cool it would be to approach a photography shop to get them to sponsor and judge a photography competition. I mean in all seriousness have you ever wondered why no digital camera company has made an active push to market direct to rec fisho's...

Angus

Mate digital camera warehouse sponsors a segment on escape with ET that focuses just on this, a few interesting tips to be gained from it

Angus

Mate digital camera warehouse sponsors a segment on escape with ET that focuses just on this, a few interesting tips to be gained from it

I don't know a whole lot but from what I do know with the photo of the car if you want the car to be more lit up you need to up the apature to somewhere around 14/15 or higher this will open the shutter for longer letting more light in and allowing the background and the car to be in focus ( I could be wrong though). It's all about just playing with the settings and what you want in the image, to some people the photo as is could be considered to be pretty good as it has a sort of shilloute look to it and as for photoshop the internet has all kinds of tutorials on how to achieve a certain look to your photos. Hope you dont mind but I've put in a few photos taken with the camera you have just to show what can be achieved.

Cheers

Mark

post-5191-1445986014_thumb.jpg

post-5191-14459860141_thumb.jpg

post-5191-144598601415_thumb.jpg

post-5191-144598601424_thumb.jpg

Wow some realy nice pictures, i just brought the new Panasonic FT2 Lumix underwater camera. Never used it yet dont know much about them only that they take great underwater pictures. I think its a good idea having this on the site. :)

Bigtez is a gun photographer. Not reporting or posting much these days but still occasionally lurks.

I've got a nikon d80 with a couple of different lenses. You won't see too many fishing shots from me with that camera. I'm paranoid about drowning it. A lot of the shots you've seen recently from our fishing trips are taken with my Lumix ft2.

Taking the time to play with each setting and understanding it's effects is crucial to taking that photo you can visualize in your head. I'll put up some of the pics I've taken...some you would have seen before but still worth posting again I think.

I think a good rule of thumb (actually might have checkto see if I am right lol), use apparture to lighten darken subject (smaller F stop = bigger apparture and more light but shallower depth of field), longer shutter speed can help light background and ISO increases the gain, so brightens the whole scene, at the expense of noise as you go too high. Or for tricky shots you can use exposure bracketing and expose multiple shots for your highlights and dark bits and combine in Photoshop or similar.

hi guys i just saw this post earlier on whilst i was at work and wanted to get home to give a good reply to it.

I'm currently shooting with a canon 5D mark ii. its a pro full phrame camera and is bascically the dogs bo*lo*ks, ive got a few lens going on too with a straight 50 mm prime lens, a 17-40mm wide angle lens a 70-200 zoom lens and a standard 24-105 portrait lens.

I'm hoping that i can make small inroads into helping those of you out there that have dslr's

id like to think that with a photography degree and a full time job taking family portraits that i might be of help to a few of you looking for some helpful hints and tips!

now the main thing to remember if there realy isn't a right or a wrong with shooting a photo, if you can get to grips with photoshop then you can change any colour, contrast, lighting etc etc etc but for most people having a good end product on the back of the camera is what brings a smile to your face

ill try not to go into too much detail on my first reply and then for anyone who wants some specific advice or help then just pm me,,,,

ill just start with explaining a few bits and pieces and then try to piece them all together at the end.

shutter speed! the shutter speed is the amount of time that the lens opens itself up to let light into the lens. in simple terms if its darker outside ie dawn dusk or cloudy days then you will need to open the shutter for longer to expose your photo to the correct amount of light.

aperture ( " f " number) the thing to remember here is that the larger the number you set the more of your photo is going to be in focus ie crisp to the eye, and the other way round the lower number you set the less of you picture is going to be in focus

remember the higher f number you use, the likely hood is that you will need to have a slower shutter speed to let enough light into your camera and this can easily cause blurred photos as us " fishes" hardly ever have the time to use a tripod.

a great photo we can all use is where we have the subject in focus and the background out of focus, perfect for when we hold that awesome fish up and only want us to be in focus and the background doesn't matter,

DO THIS BY SHOOTING THE PHOTO WITH AN EXTREMELY LOW APERTURE ( f) number and a high shutter speed.

a great photo on the run as you can use a high shutter speed so its nice and crisp even when you may not be standing dead still!

ive taken a couple of shots to try and at least shot people what im trying to get at, haha this was 2 mins in my back lounge tonight with not much artificial light but i think they will go a long way to showing people what i was meaning.…..

the first picture is the one with the high f number ( in this case f18) meaning more of the photo is in focus, perfect if your standing with a nice fish and a perfect landscape that you want everyone to see.

the second is the one with the real low f stop ( in this case f1.8) perfect if your at sea for instance where know one really cares to look behind you into the horizon of blue blue and more blue so you only yourself and your fish in focus in this instance the reel.

obviously your f number is in direct sync with your shutter speed as you will have to change your shutter speed to match with your f number but with a little practise, alot of trial and error its easy tog et the hang of.

i understand this is really basic and im not looking for another pro snapper to come along and throw ISO, or lighting conditions or anything of the like into the arena but i hope it helps a little.

if anyone is planning on going out for a bush bash or a fish i'd be more than happy to tag along for the day and just take photos,, at the same time if there is anyone out there with an dslr that would like some help id be happy to meet up and give some pointers!

ive also attached a couple more photos taken, ive not been to hot on reports lately as its hard to write an interesting report when you keep getting donuts!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

post-8891-144598602179_thumb.jpg

post-8891-144598602189_thumb.jpg

post-8891-144598602196_thumb.jpg

post-8891-144598602202_thumb.jpg

post-8891-144598602209_thumb.jpg

post-8891-144598602217_thumb.jpg

post-8891-144598602225_thumb.jpg

post-8891-144598602232_thumb.jpg

I use a super technical method. I play with the camera at home and try and remember the setting for when I want to shoot a certain condition. I too leave the dslr at home and take the waterproof w60 pentax out on the yak.

Here's the sort of shiz I manage to fluke from time to time.

post-1039-14459860224_thumb.jpg

Still experimenting with all the different options in the menu

Archived