Winter Camp Tackle

Jords

I know the Winter Camp is ridiculously far away, such that I haven't even paid my money yet, but thought I would get a bit of a thread going talking about what fishing gear people are getting for/taking on the trip.

Firstly, I was thinking that because it is smack bang in the middle of winter the bass would be schooling deep? So i guess first up I should finally get a sounder for the yak. Apart from that, a bunch of deep divers? was thinking a few tilsan bass as they dive pretty deep (5m), arent too exxyy at all, and work! Also get a few blades and vibes, as well as some spinnerbaits to work the edges? And of course a few surface lures just to have up my sleeve. Sounds like I should be able to blow a good 5 or 600 dollars just for this trip :blink:

I like small blades and lipless cranks for casting. Damiki Vaults and Napjarus (+10 for Napjaru's) are worth their weight in gold.

Trolling I have never had any luck but seen others clean up on your usual deeper halco's etc.

And yes, live shrimp is the grea equalizer at winter camp :)

Angus

• 3 weeks later...

What other tactics are people employing? Or is this all super secret? :P

Ill be giving the surface a good hit early in the morning this year.

With two mornings to fish I plan on getting out at dawn on at least one of these.

Angus

it was tough over easter, i dropped a couple on poppers late in the evening, picked some up on spinnerbaits and greedy guts hardbodies. I think surface and spinnerbaits early on and then god willing if there are no skiers, maybe sound out some schools off the weedbeds and try and blade them. its a theory, although i plan on eating alot of ribs and redclaw so may not make the early morning session

With two mornings to fish I plan on getting out at dawn on at least one of these.

Angus

Not to doubt your good intentions Gus, but I can remember you saying this pretty much every year - then someone forces you to have a drink...

... early the next afternoon, Angus takes a few tentative steps toward the water. :woohoo: :P

Angus

Not to doubt your good intentions Gus, but I can remember you saying this pretty mc

uch every year - then someone forces you to have a drink...

... early the next afternoon, Angus takes a few tentative steps toward the water. :woohoo: :P

Hahaha well now ill have to prove you wrong... :unsure:

I am bringing the Oban this year!

Hahaha. Tanya had her first Oban neat last week at my suggestion.

You should have seen the content glow that subsequently emanated from her.

You might need to fight her off with that in hand.

:P

Angus

Angus

Good luck with that one mate... :whistle: :lol:

Maybe just try the surface as the sun is setting...?

From the campsite....

Beer, ribs and redclaw in hand ? :silly:

Archived