Upper Brisbane River 21-07-0

Angus

Well finally some much discussed Freshwater fishing.

The Team: James, Ash and Angus.

The Location: Upper Brisbane River.

The Method: Land Based Lure fishing.

The Target: Bass and Yellowbelly. (And if they were not showing hopefully some catties :) ).

After meeting our guide for the Day whom would be James, Ash and I were on our way out to the upper reaches of the Brissy. It was quite a chilly morning and this was emphasised by the fog which was so thick we could only see about 10m on front of us.

After climbing several fences and bit of a hike we were set up on a great rocky ledge. I honestly thought due to the temperature the fishing might start off a bit slow. But on his first cast James yelled “Im on”. A couple of minutes later and beautiful little Yellowbelly was landed. Nice start to a morning.

A few minutes later and I was also on. It turned out to be a catty however I was far from disappointed. This was my first fish on hard bodies, and the first time I have really tried hardbodies. So a big catty on lite gear and lures, I was stoked. As if to say mate its only a catty James was soon on again landing a monster yellow on a spinnerbait. Fish went just shy of 50cm.

Funnily enough as the water warmed up the fish disappeared. The only fish landed were two more catfish to my hardbodies. My successful lure for the day was a Red and Black pattern Poltergiste. However the fish slowing down aside. With 5 fish and an amazing morning, Still a very good day to be fishing.

Thank you to James from Ash and I for showing us some great spots.

Note: If you intend to fish the area, please request permission as much of the upper Brisbane river bank is private property. Most of the land owners don’t mind if asked politely so please don’t ruin it for the rest of us by either going in uninvited or leaving a mess.

Good Fishing!

Angus [img size=400]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/MorningMist.jpg

post-63-144598399737_thumb.jpg

ive allways been a fan of freshwater fishing. I do alot of freshwater bait fishing, but theres nothing really aggressive enought to take lures. I want to stock the creek with yellabelly, but they would all get flushed out when it rains, cause it floods pretty well there.

DAVE

BIG DAVE 1 wrote:

I want to stock the creek with yellabelly, but they would all get flushed out when it rains, cause it floods pretty well there.

DAVE

Actually they probably would not, Yellow Belly move upstream as far as they can go when it rains, (as do a lot of natives), so unless the flow was torential, they would go as far up as they can. (they also come on the bite!)

Too true Angus, it was a beautiful day. Even though i didnt catch anything, just the morning sites was worth the trip. Absolutely beautifal place.

And your right dave, the bulimba does rise much more then other creek ive seen. I use to live at carindale and would see the Mansfield Parklands turn itno lakes. Nearly every year the gulf caurse would have to rebuild as the creek would smash it around in the wet season. Great swimming though.

Angus or Jimmybob, im ready to head there again as soon as, so let me know if u r keen

BIG DAVE 1 wrote:

Mate you clearly havent seen bulimba creek when it rains. the water level like increases 1m at a minimum. then when it floods it raises like 3-4m.

Mate western rivers rise 10 or 12 metres when it rains, and spread out sometime 20k wide in the channel country.

I have seen that particular creek, I grew up in that area, (before Carindale was built!) it was my regular bit of scrub we used to get up to no good in!

I hope you dont live on the old tannery site! (Not got 12 toes have you?)

Archived