King Crab from COLES

Woodlaz

Gday guys/ladies,

Went shopping with the wife yesterday, looked in the seafood section (in the deli) and noticed king crab legs/claws for about 38$/kg. Next to it was aussie mudcrab (fresh - aparently) for 44$/kg.

NOW watching Deadliest Catch and knowing where they (king crab) come from...... HOW!!!! I ask again.. HOW??? can that be cheaper? Buying a whole mudcrab (caught in Aus) per kg means ur paying for the guts and stuff where as the king crab was just legs/claw (no cleaning involved),,, yet its cheaper. Doesnt make sense to me.

Also, i would like to know if anyone has tried this king crab - does it compare to a mud crab??

Cheers

Woodlaz

King Crab is mainly found in very cold water. mainly around alaskan and russian waters...

I think there is Red, Blue & Gold King Crab.

The Deadliest Catch show are after the Red King Crab which is apprently the best tasting and probably more expensive crab !!

I've been to kingsly's restaurant in Brissy and they sell mud crab and Alaskan red king crab. Needless to say the King Crab was alot more expensive, I ended up having the mud crab but would like to try the king crab purely from an interest as i watch the show and it's pretty crazy !!

Perhaps it's an introductory price? the actual season only last for 2 - 4 weeks a year so would be interesting weather they sell the crab all year round or close to the season, atleast you know whether it may be fresh or sitting in a freezer for six months :whistle:

Thanks for the replys guys.

Ellicat, I looked at that link but the stuff I saw at coles had a different red color especially on the tips of the legs (where as the one u linked has black). Does look a similar leg shape though.

I will enquire about them next time I go (if they still for sale). Would love to know exactly which ones they were.

Cheers

Woodlaz

$44 a kg for mudcrab? That's a bit steep! Were they live gulf muddies or cooked?

Hate to boast but live muddies in Cairns are usually around $25 a kg.

They were cooked, whole. That was why i was asking. Seems stupid and a rip off. Mud crabs caught locally (in Aus) for 44$/kg yet the king crab from chile (or where ever) is cheaper. How is this so?

No wonder we import so much stuff, its cheaper.

The question still remains, is the imported King Crab better than aussie caught mudcrabs? I just wanna know what people prefer.... Its hard to beat a fresh cooked aussie mudcrab, but if the king crab from coles is good, I am gonna taste it.

Cheers

Woodlaz

Archived