Fishing Pine Dam

Dinodadog

A mate of mine asked me to post an article so here I go. Hope it does not put anyone to sleep.

Ever heard the saying to catch a fish you must think like a fish, well in my experience that is meadow mayonaise. Have you ever tried to jump in the water, hold your breath, or worse still, try to breathe and think at the same time. I think you will find the only thought you will have is CPR.

The answer to catching fish is combat and you have to develop combat strategies. (I am a 23 year retired army vet) My first strategy is to take no prisoners,release promptly and safely. I have seen a couple of better than 50 bass around the shoreline in the past week that have not been handled very well therefore robbing other anglers the fun of catching them.

Second strategy is there are no rules. Throw everything at them. Fresh bait or lures.I have caught good fish (and rats)on jackals g-vibes and spinnerbaits and fresh bait. For me personally lures are my fave topped my spinnerbaits.

I like to start predawn with dark colours eg black/purple or black/red and after dawn approx 7am move onto purple/white or purple/grey then approx 9am move into lighter colours eg ghost grey, light green or white/silver. In between all this I will chuck a jackal or g-vibe.

I also find that starting with a 1/2 ounce move onto a 5/8 and finishing on a 3/4 is advantageous as the fish move further from shore.

I also keep on the move and change areas unless I am catching heaps. The yella I posted on the 28th was caught on a white jackal with silver frosting approx 11am. The bass on the 28th was caught at 7am on a light purple spinnerbait and the 54 bass on the 30th was caught on a white spinnerbait at about 9am.

There is plenty of fish out there to enjoy and half the fun is the hunt.

Keep on fishin

Post edited by: Angus, at: 2007/05/31 11:37

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing wrong about taking a feed home. Some of us enjoy eating fish just as much as catching and the pone is full of bass over 50cm. When we had boating access I have had days when we caught more than 20 bass over 50cm.From memory my best day wes 45 bass and 6 yellas and all over 40.

I thought that we were here to encourage not to bag.

If you have a gripe take it up via pm dont start a public war which it looks like i am doing.

Ray

I take an occasional fish home and I have let countless over 50's go. I enjoy the fruits of my fishing and would never take any more than a feed home.That is what I was referring to. The useless slaughter of fish that I have seen laying on the bank recently. To be quite honest the fish I prefer are about the 40 to 45 cm seem to taste the best. Keep on Fishin and Preserving

• 3 years later...

Archived