No cobia at Kooka

rayke1938

Ended going to kookaburra park this morning. Arrived at 6am and launched and started throwing cast net for liveys. There were good sized mullet everywhere. I ended keeping 10 for a feed. ( Could I Claim a 4metre mullet as they were at least 40cm long and 10 X 40cm = 4metres )

Had 4 strikes and one good run but didnt manage to land anything. Caught a very small thready around 30cm on a live prawn and a bream that was around 25.

I reckon at least one of the hits was a thready it ran for around 20m and then spat the livey . It was unmarked but not a scale left on it.

There was a few boats there and one was trolling and the others were bream fishing. They seemed to be getting a few opposite the ramp near the rocks.

Had a bit of a yarn to a local who was just launching when I came in at 11. He said the best place for threadys and sharks is just upstream of the ramp and around the corner called Johnstones rocks. Apparently it is a 30ft high rock face on the opposite side of the river that drops straight down into a deep hole.

Had a couple of the mullet for tea and beautiful. Just cooked in flour and a squeeze of lime juice with a jug of home brew.

Will get feral to post the piccies.

Ray

Post edited by: rayke1938, at: 2007/06/01 19:46

hey ray, i'm very interested to hear that there are threadies still biting! Was your prawn on the bottom? If so how long were the live prawns lasting before they got crabbed??

Also what depth where you fishing your livies at?

cheers wwolf

ps - i have heard about the rocks you mentioned many times but can't there landbased

Prawn was on line with 1/8 diamater split shot which was taking it slowly down to bottom. I was casting uptide and leaving it move down past boat and then retrieving and casting again. Prawns were only lasting a couple of casts as the catties were nailing them. I had one livey about 6 ft under float and had another line out with the livey on the bottom.

Ray

Post edited by: rayke1938, at: 2007/06/01 20:30

Archived