Slaying gold coast mackrel

pancakes_and_haggis

Well with xmas now and truly in the distant past and my birthday approaching fast :) my girl friend decided to book the charter given to us by her parents last xmas. :woohoo:

By no coincidence at all she decided to book it on my birthday 3-5-11, so i guess a double celebration. A trip out of the gold coast to target tuna and mackerel seemed to be to be the perfect idea!!

Arriving down to the spit pontoon main beach at 5.30 to be graced with what was looking to be a very calm day and beautiful clear skies! :cheer:

with 8 of us on the charter it seemed we had hit lucky not to be standing on a packed boat of 12+ people!!

Well out to the first reef we went where things seemed very quiet, didn't help when some boat decided to sit on top of three of our floating lines, so 15 minutes in we jumped shit and ran abit wider! :(

Wasn't long before i was onto my first fish of the morning, a small snapper ( which i was told wasn't a squire as they don't exist, in the words of the skip) A couple of these later and we were moving again, no sign of an macs yet

post-8891-144598613418_thumb.jpg

After about an hour still with no takes or hook-ups it was time for the skipper to show us the money!! Was this guy just another skipper taking $720 bucks home form each charter or was he going to work his a*s off to find us some fish!

we'll im happy to say from that moment on he was most definitely not the first one!!!

Taking us out abit wider we had our first hook-up a nice 9kg spanish boated after a seriously tough fight!!

A couple minutes later it was my turn! Having just baited up a nice ganged pilly, i began to let line out, 20m,,, 30m,,,,40,,,,, 50ish m and zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz before i could even get the bail arm over i'd lost over 1/2 the spool. Soon as he'd calmed down a notch i was beginning to feel some serious power in this thing!

post-8891-144598613427_thumb.jpg

After a brief argument with the missus as to how to enable HD video on our canon 5d mark ii the rest of the fight was filmed nearly down to perfection with the screaming of the spool drowning out the background chatter!!

After about 25 mins i boated my first ever spanish mac going 12.5 kg! and boy was that one birthday present ill never forget!!!

post-8891-144598613437_thumb.jpg

post-8891-144598613444_thumb.jpg

After a few minutes of floating out more pillies another couple of rods began to zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz one being boated at 7.4kg and the other being what i can only imagine bitten off!!!!

[attachment:7]reels.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment:8]pillies.jpg[/attachment]

After a quiet period the skip was calling the lines in to move to yet another spot yet further out!

Again as i started feeding out my pilly i got it to about 30m no more form the boat when exactly the same thing happened again zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz panicking to get the bail arm over and the rod into the missus hand i ended up on my arse to the delight of the skip!!

Seeing the look on the missus face when this thing fully took off leaving her arm just about torn off was a classic picture and one that im gutted i never managed to catch on camera~!!

However after a good strong fight and some seriously good advise and coaching from the crew onboard Mel managed to land her first ever spanish mac going around 9kg!!

From then on in we shared around the fish making sure everyone managed to fight and successfully boat a spanish mac.

[attachment:13]cool room.jpg[/attachment]

I did however have some fun with some grinners towards the end of the day as we were waiting on a nice mac to take a line so that the lady who had had her head overboard producing the special mix of berley could finally be rewarded for all of her hard work!!!

wether what she'd eaten the night before was of interest to these hard fighting speedsters or if there yearly migration is just later that normal they are most definitely still there for the taking!!!

[attachment:9]team photo.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment:10]me and my two.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment:11]mel and i.jpg[/attachment]

thanks for reading guys enjoy the snaps!! ill try get some videos on if someone lets me know how

post-8891-144598613452_thumb.jpg

the charter was BK's and the two deck hands a father and son combo are real great guys, seriously helpful and full of beans,

definately in it for their guests, moving the boat whenever needed and not worried by the amount of bait, tackle or anything there using, must have seen about 5 sets of gangs bitten off and didnt hear one comment about it from them!

Mate what an awsome b'day! :cheer: You've got me all geed up now! :woohoo:

Alright guys who else is keen to to give Bk some of our hard earned and get amongst it?

Thinking about 2 or three weekends time Sat or Sun what ever suits most. Obviously would have to see

what Bk has available. Maybe we could fill the boat with us normally landbased Bfoers. :P

Pm me if your keen and dates that would suit and I'll try book us in. I'm gonna hit it myself anyway and give myself a late b'day present and hope I can post a report just as good B)

U would hate to say damn I should of been there :P

Thanks for the inspiration Pancakes!

no worries mate, if your after the spanish macs, you would need to get in fast mate as there yearly migration kinda starts to tail off around first couple weeks of may! im sure you will have great fun and for 90 bucks id call it a bargain, ive paid 200 for a charter before and got nothing, these guys will do their best to get you into the fish!

callum

• 3 weeks later...

Archived