First time fishing in Kookaburra

Carstenvp

Hi all.

Having just moved to Australia from Denmark two months ago, my mate took me Shark fishing in Brissy river Saturday morning.

Using my old gear I took with me from Denmark, the bait runner reels and two 12'Carp rods were loaded up with 20cm dead mullet on a meter 90lb wiretrace with two 7/0 hooks and 70grm of weight at the top of the wire trace.

7 hours later, no sharks but plenty of Crabs looking for a tasty treat. How do you guys get peace from these things?

Luckily I brought my 7' nippletip, it sems like the only bait catching were squid pieces.

Using a running ball sinker and a 1/0 hook, I got 3 small catfish, 2 bream, the largest around 30cm, forgot to mesure but see picture(No I am not on medication but having a crap camera :)) and a nice flathead.

Not too bad for the first real fishing trip down under.

Australia have the most beautiful water/country side in the world.

Count yourself lucky!

Hope to see you out there.

/Carsten [img size=448]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/bream-0134448924aa8673aae90bd7ff101927.JPG

Post edited by: Carstenvp, at: 2007/06/03 12:17

post-1467-14459841637_thumb.jpg

Carstenvp wrote:

Hi all....

Luckily I brought my 7' nippletip, ...

Australia have the most beautiful water/country side in the world.

Count yourself lucky!

Hope to see you out there.

/Carsten

I think you mean niBBletip, but if you don't you will find that a great distraction from your fishing:P

:silly: :woohoo:

By the way, welcome aboard. To avoid the crabs you can use what's called a Paternoster rig. Basically you have the sinker at the end of your rig. Then up from there you can use a 3 way swivel and have the hook at the end of a length of line tied there.

Hi Carsten, Welcome to the site.

Another good way to stop crabs , is to suspend your bait under a float about 6ft down. That is how we (wife & I) have been catching Sharks at Kooka. I got 2 good ones last Friday nite. Live or fresh bait is best.

You said we have the most beautiful water and country side, and you were looking at the Brisbane river!:sick:

haha Wait till you hinze or baroon, then you'll think the River is a dirty ugly smelly place (that holds lots of fish).:lol:

hey carsten, if you get a chance go for a trip to the gold coast. they've got some great beaches down there and your 12 foot rods would be great for surf fishing for tailor, bream,whiting and dart. and if you really lucky even a jewfish also called a mulloway. just find yourself a gutter and your away. good luck

Tim a wrote:

You said we have the most beautiful water and country side, and you were looking at the Brisbane river!:sick:

haha Wait till you hinze or baroon, then you'll think the River is a dirty ugly smelly place (that holds lots of fish).:lol:

The upper salt reaches of the Brisbane river are quite clean and scenic it isnt till you get below the junction of the Bremner that it gets turbid.

Good post mate and you did well for a first trip.

Ray

Thanks for all the replies guys.

It is lovely to see a fisho site that is alive and well.

If anybody fancies a fishing session around Redcliffe/Pine Rivers/Dams, drop me a line, I'm always game.

I've got a car but seriously lack sence of direction.

Replies:

Hi Ellicat

I'll give the Paternoster rig a go next time I'm out.

About the 'Nippletip', good one, I swear the first one isn't that

bad either, proberbly catches more fishermen than fish thoug;) h

Cheers Lozzel

I were actually thinking about the float method while sitting out there. I used it for catching European Pike with live bait, quite succesfully as well.

Well Tim,

I suppose I meant generally about this beautiful country :), I have seen Perth/Freemantle, Alice Springs, Cairns and then down the whole Eastcoast to Sydney and look forward to see a lot more. It really is special.

I do get where you are comming from though, lots of plastic bags, bottles and other crap people don't take with them when they leave. Such a shame

(just my 50 cents worth).

I liked the Bream too, didn't put up much of a fight.

Hi Mack_attack.

Is that an invitation :)

I would actually love to try Surf Fishing (just like Rock,Reef and

Blue water fishing, haven't got a boat though).

Apparently here in Moreton Bay it is not that great?

Anybody fancying a trip?

Any fishing is good fishing

See you all out there

/Carsten

Archived