AFO Facebook Tab

Manni79

I really do not have a point of view either way on the FB tab. I have facebook but I am no way addicted to it. I have found it useful to find and kept in touch with old friends from school and work. I do only get onto FB every week or two. With saying this there are a lot of younger folks that find the engagement in FB addictive and waste a lot of time with it. I agree with Ray that I do not need a blow by blow of someone’s life but It is a great forum to keep in touch with friends lives I would not normally touch base with and share experiences and photos with them.

With regard to Facebook to being an intrusion in our lives, we can control this in our lives. Some ideas for this and safety

1. Get a new email address (maybe Gmail) and use that for these sites. This way you do not get the notification emails to your main account.

2. Do not disclose private information on the web. Only disclose info that does not matter

3. FB security is confusing make sure you limit all information to friends only.

4. You have control over who you have as friends, do not add anyone and everyone as a friend, make sure you know them and make sure you want to share information with them, if you do not want to, do not make them a friend or block them from your FB account.

5. Remember that adding someone as a friend exposes your friends to this person.

I do however express some of the concerns that Tacklebox has expressed.

My real question is more about why have the second presence on the Web. I have looked at the FB page and have noticed pictures and comments that are not on the main AFO web page. Not sure why there is a second presence. Anyway just some thoughts.

I joined up after the SOO and immediatly got alot of emails from people wanting to be my friend.From what i can gather it steals your email address book and has a look to see if the people in it are on facebook and generates an email.

Gave me the sh!ts as I have enough spam already so I opted out.

Could we have the F tab on the right hand side of the page so I dont hit it accidently every time I scroll down when I am browsing the unread posts page.

Cheers

Ray

This is not accurate. You can select exactly who you send invites out on Facebook to be your friend.

The ability to share the forum with Facebook members feels like an invasion of privacy to me.

I question the fact that Facebook members have not signed up and agreed to abide by AFO's terms of use.

One of the main reasons I joined this site is because the forum is only accessible by other AFO members.

It's also one of the reasons why I don't post a lot on other forums that are open to the general public.

Unfortunately I believe this is an 'uninformed' remark. Posting information to Facebook is not an invasion of privacy as the AFO forum is still only accessible by AFO members and the content of posts are as well. Please correct us if we are wrong :)

Tacklebox: Ill check with Webby but I dont think someone from facebook can view the forum unless they are a AFO member. Only if they are a registrant of both... If I am wrong here I totally see your point but I am pretty sure you have nothing to worry about privacy wise.

Ray: When you signed up someone from AFO (possibly even me) probably "Suggested friends" to you from their own list of existing contacts. This is a feature facebook offers to prevent new members having to systematically search through names to find who they want to "add". You can of course reject any suggestions by a simple click of the button.

Cheers.

Angus

Yes you are correct Angus. I think there has been some reactions which have been because they are not sure or not know what or how this integrates. But rest assure AFO respects everyone's privacy and are doing this to help improve the site and member's experiences.

I really do not have a point of view either way on the FB tab. I have facebook but I am no way addicted to it. I have found it useful to find and kept in touch with old friends from school and work. I do only get onto FB every week or two. With saying this there are a lot of younger folks that find the engagement in FB addictive and waste a lot of time with it. I agree with Ray that I do not need a blow by blow of someone’s life but It is a great forum to keep in touch with friends lives I would not normally touch base with and share experiences and photos with them.

With regard to Facebook to being an intrusion in our lives, we can control this in our lives. Some ideas for this and safety

1. Get a new email address (maybe Gmail) and use that for these sites. This way you do not get the notification emails to your main account.

2. Do not disclose private information on the web. Only disclose info that does not matter

3. FB security is confusing make sure you limit all information to friends only.

4. You have control over who you have as friends, do not add anyone and everyone as a friend, make sure you know them and make sure you want to share information with them, if you do not want to, do not make them a friend or block them from your FB account.

5. Remember that adding someone as a friend exposes your friends to this person.

I do however express some of the concerns that Tacklebox has expressed.

My real question is more about why have the second presence on the Web. I have looked at the FB page and have noticed pictures and comments that are not on the main AFO web page. Not sure why there is a second presence. Anyway just some thoughts.

Some really good points there. As mentioned Facebook is a part of life nowadays and is a part of the internet. You may be unaware but nearly all websites now are in some way connected to facebook either through Facebook Connect, Likes, Sends, Shares, or simply by supporting their Open Graph or FBXML code language.

All major websites you visit probably have these social buttons. It is a great convenience to most people who use the internet to have these share and like features, but for those not informed about them it may seem a bit daunting. It also is pretty much a requirement to ensure survival of many websites to be 'connected' with the web.

I have posted a link of a report i did to FB to see whether non AFO members can view.

Will let you know what the outcome is

It looks as though only AFO members can actually access content from a facebook link. When trying to access the link from facebook with someone that wasn't a AFO member it directed them to the AFO login page.

The only relevance linking a page from AFO onto FB only has value by posting on the Facebook "AFO" page or at the very least other AFO members that just happen to be your friend on FB can then view a post or

report you have created.

For those running the site, there are benefits i guess to promote the site and increase it's subscriber base etc... which is quite normal these days !!

Anyway it's just my 2 cents, cheers Manni

It is a good way to promote AFO to our members and their wider friends on facebook. You cannot access or view posts on AFO without being a member of AFO.

If you have concerns regarding privacy please let us know and provide the steps and outcomes for us to review.

With regard to privacy and our private information. AFO does not really vet people that join the community apart from ensuring banned members do not rejoin. I feel safe in this community however the reality is we should only share information on here that you would share in public. Private information is best kept off any website.

I couldn't care less about the privacy aspect or the little icon link/share button thingys, but

I hate the Facebook slide out thingy. It is annoying, gets in the way and interferes with the enjoyment of my AFO (insert little girly giggle) 'experience'.

It is just as annoying as any of those popup adds that intrude when browsing. It's like one of those "YOU'VE WON A PRIZE - CLICK HERE" in your face type things.

Even after blocking it as suggested by werewolf a link to AFO facebook page still slides out :evil:

Question: re the Share button. If someone clicks a share button in one of my posts, are their non-AFO-member friends able to view that ?

Archived