Kookaburra Park 03.06.07

Crusty

Headed out with Dad to fish Kookaburra Park this morning. Decent bait was hard to come by with many casts needed to get just a small number of prawns and a couple of poddy mullet. Dozens of glassy perch though - these are absolutely fiendish to remove from the net!! Does anyone know if they make decent bait for anything in the river? Our netted bait was supplemented with the usual stale bread and bacon rind in case we became desperate (or hungry :sick: ). Things were slow for the first hour, though i landed a furious Muddie and Dad landed a small Threadfin Salmon on a live prawn put out for the elusive 'biggun' - it's gotta be our turn soon ;) ! Still though, we found this catch very encouraging. As the tide peaked and started to ebb, I caught two 23cm bream in close succession on fresh mullet strips. As the ebb tide (and nuisance crabs) picked up a gear, we decided to call it a good day. I think next time the crabs are a pain, I'll be trying the rig suggested by ellicat in an earlier posting today.

Tally for the day:

* 1 x world record breaking King Threadfin Salmon (released)

* 2 x 23cm Bream (released)

* 1 x undersized and temperamental buck (released).

Only gripe was the oversupply of jetskies and water skiers. I'm not usually one to be judgmental about what other people do to 'float their boat', but where these guys are concerned?...:(

I won't get carried away, but a couple were clearly breaking the 6-knot 'no wash' rule in front of the park, and generally being inconsiderate of other people enjoying the river :angry: Still, I know there are many jetskiers who do play by the rules, so I'm not having a go at everyone. Plus, we need to good supply of burley to keep the sharks in the area :P

Crusty ; where were you fishing? I was there thismorn . Fishing at bottom of ramp till all the boats started arriving.Got some bait early at 6.00am lasted till lunch time.Got a couple of small bream and a decent Flattie.

As the old bloke in the little boat on the opposite bank said \"Ya should have been here yesterday , we were catchin 40cm bream\" there. He got another 8 thismorn.

cant say i helped the fishing situation as did my boat license today (was in the austrailian boating colledge boat) and we were flying along doing bloody manoevers and i think the instructor had something against fishos as we made to do emergency turns in front of them all time causing fair bit of wash, one poor guy nearly fell out of his little 10ft flat bottom trying cast a net cause of the wash.

Hi mate,

I was fishing literally right next to the ramp (on the upstream side)...we didn't get there till about 10.45 though....Some people i was talking to told me that old fella was getting stuck into them early on...i think I only saw him land one fish after we got there. I believe him about the big bream - I had a good run with the bream there a few weeks ago now, with a couple of fish up towards the mid 30's. Am i right in thinking that the main channel holds up much closer to the opposite bank? Seems to be where all the boat fishos anchor up...

Yea the main chanel is on the other side. I fished it on Friday nite before I pulled out did no good. went there today to see if prawns still there. got a heap of good cookers on friday and a mate cleaned up last nite. none there today.I spoke to your Dad when i walked past.

Kriso; did you PASS

kriso wrote:

cant say i helped the fishing situation as did my boat license today (was in the austrailian boating colledge boat) and we were flying along doing bloody manoevers and i think the instructor had something against fishos as we made to do emergency turns in front of them all time causing fair bit of wash, one poor guy nearly fell out of his little 10ft flat bottom trying cast a net cause of the wash.

haha, well at least your honest! Btw, how much does it cost to do your license with those guys?

Cheers.

Damo

Lozzel wrote:

Yea the main chanel is on the other side. I fished it on Friday nite before I pulled out did no good. went there today to see if prawns still there. got a heap of good cookers on friday and a mate cleaned up last nite. none there today.I spoke to your Dad when i walked past.

Kriso; did you PASS

Cool, thanks mate...you know if there's any landbased spots in that area that give you better access to the main channel?

No mate ,I think its prety much the same all the way along on that side. I am not sure but i think the chanel is closer for land based from the other ramp aera at KARALEE. Around the corner from Kooka. I'll sus it out next trip. Otherwise you could try the mouth of Kohlo Ck ,I have seen a camp there, not sure what road you would take but the road is close by.

it's not really a main chanel guys is more of a cragy rock botom with a big crack in one section that starts about threequarters of the way across opposite the boat ramp and goes upstream for about 50m geting slowly closer to the far bank as it goes

i live literally a 5 minute bik ride from kookaburra park and i must confess i have caught some decent fish from there. for example i caught a giant herring not to long ago with a prawn and theres always a few tarpon...

i no wat u mean bout those pesky litle mud crabS!! they r everywhere. believe it or not iv actually caught a koi gold fish from the small pond system close to the entry of the park before! no joke me mate and i saw two of them in this pond, big orange things and using bread managed to snag one! released it back with its chum but i havent seen the pair since...that was about 3 weeks ago.

given the choice id rather head upstream more, iv caught winter whiting and flathead literally at the small old mt crosby wier hard up against the frshwater flow...iv also managed to hook some nice tilapia on SP up there aswell...

not to mention a threadfin salmon that almost spooled my 1500 reel with 4lb braid. above the wier into the freshwater is extremely good fun as MONSTER catfish and lungfish reside up there and i have caught catfish to 87cm! good fun on 4lm braid haha

Plastic Fantastic wrote:

..... above the wier into the freshwater is extremely good fun as MONSTER catfish and lungfish reside up there and i have caught catfish to 87cm! good fun on 4lm braid haha

When I used to fish at Mt Crosby, from memory, fishing above the weir was illegal but it always looked very inviting. Is it legal to fish there now ?

Archived