A bit of Wide Caloundra exploration

tomca

A few of the wanderers have met Lindsay my work mate and we realised last week we both had a RDO Monday, so decided the weather was too good not to head out deep.

We fueled up his 17ft Mustang half cabin and had a plan of poking around north of the cape. Left Scarborough around 4.30am and cruised at 24knots the whole way out. As we passed Moreton we did umm and ahh about hitting a couple of his marks for the sunrise session, but decided against it. We stopped half way up Wide Caloundra a little after 6 on a good show.

It was bait vs lures and he managed to stink up the boat good and proper :sick:

I was first on the board around 7 after working out the tentative taps were only going to turn into bites when I free spool and ended up smashing my PB Pearly with a 55cm model on a black 4.5 inch Damiki Monstermiki

post-1039-144598631301_thumb.jpg

post-1039-144598631307_thumb.jpg

Lindsay eventually got the bait tally up to 1 with a nice Parrot

post-1039-144598631312_thumb.jpg

The radio was full of conversations like, nah, no bait around and few fish on board.

We sounded around and found good shows but the fish were hard to tempt. My next fish was a smaller Pearly on a 5 inch Armorshad

post-1039-144598631316_thumb.jpg

while sounding around a couple of humpbacks come over to say g'day and one did a big jump beside the boat.

post-1039-144598631321_thumb.jpg

Lindsay changed tactics and ended up using a paternoster rig of 20lb line and ended up getting heaps of solid bream and undersize squire. I made fun of him and suggested that he should have just wet a line in the boat harbour if he wanted to catch bream :pinch:

We moved in to a a couple of my yak spots in close to Caloundra in the afternoon and picked up some more parrot and squire. Back at the ramp around 7pm wash down and home.

A couple of times we got amberjacked and watched some small fish being followed up by a cobia and amberjack a couple of times, but they weren't committed to take anything we offered, even throwing out a good squire for live bait :angry:

And a dolphin hung around us most of the day, and when the fishing was quiet, we workshopped what size gear would land that bad boy :P

post-1039-144598631325_thumb.jpg

nice report....i was swinging off the end of a shovel whilst your out fishing!!!!

i will have my revenge friday with an rdo...lets hope the trip is worthy of a report!

nice pearly, bad luck on the cobia.....so frustrating when they are around but just wont take a bait!!

Henry: the drift was about .7knot and a bit fast for my liking. I was thinking why didn't I tow the yak out and clean up on pearlies! And I took my boat out last week too.(gets more use than your yak ) :P

Mark: good on the chew but even at that size not much of a fight. A few tugs on the line for about 5 metres then not much resistance after that.

Gus: good day out but boatings not really my thing, once in a while is good enough for me.

Archived