1-0 to the Tourist!

Scope

G’day guys, just a quick report from last week. My cousin Mike was over from New Zealand, so my brother Greg and I offered to take him for a fish. He’s right into his fishing and is forever telling us about the Kingies and Snapper in the land of the long white cloud. We decided we had better try and get him on to a decent fish or two so he’d have something to tell the boys back home.

We began by casting for some live bait and then set up the gear and deployed some livies. The weather was quite warm in Alaskan terms and the water hadn’t quite frozen over. The fishing began pretty quietly with Greg getting a couple of bream on un-weighted prawns early on. I also had a few good nibbles but then miss timed a strike on what I’m pretty sure was a decent fish.

We waited patiently for the baits to do their thing and I was getting a little worried that we would be sending Mike home empty handed. It took a little while, but my livie soon had a few enquiries and I set the hooks after a few seconds of nibbling. The fish immediately took off and a heap of line went with it. My new Nordic Stage Sharpshooter’s maiden fish was feeling very beefy indeed! However, I was a little worried this might be the only decent fish of the night so I shouted to Mike for a bit of help. I swapped my rod for his and began to wind his bait in so they wouldn’t tangle. He was loving every minute of it, with the rod bent over double as the fish tore away on one of several big runs.

By this time we were all very excited and began cheering on the tourist as he fought hard to bring in his new fish. It took about 10 minutes but he managed to land the beast safely, his first Jewfish, going a healthy 80-odd cm. We took a few snaps for Mike and then got the water flowing through the Jewie’s gills until he had recovered enough to swim away under his own strength.

post-5732-144598633987_thumb.jpg

There wasn’t much action for the rest of the night, but Greg and I weren’t concerned as we had completed what we set out to achieve.

The score ended up like this: Greg - 3 Bream

Mike - Jewfish

Me - Donut

Definitely a victory to the away team! Mike was happy and had a great story and some pics to go home with. I told him next time I go to visit him he owes me a Kingie!

Cheers for reading - Scopesy

Cheers for the kind words guys. Once again I had no decent measuring device with me so the trusty leatherman came out. I sought of just half-guessed, half-measured that it was over 4 times the 20cm length on the leatherman. 80cm might have been a bit conservative in hindsight, I just wanted to get him back in the water. Plus - we can't have a kiwi coming over and showing us up too badly :P

Cheers

Archived