Camping at Cotton Tree Caravan Park, Surf fishing

mick2me

Hi Everyone

For the first week of the holidays I'm taking my family to Cotton tree Caravan park.

The cold isn't putting us off at all, my kids can't wait.

This will be our first time camping up the coast and I plan on putting in some good time fishing.

On that note, I just bought myself a new 12ft custom surf rod with a Alvey 650/C5 reel.

So This will be my first time for a few things fishing related aswell:

1) surf fishing

2) using an alvey reel

3) fishing at Maroochydore

I thought this would be a great place to ask for any advice, so if anyone can give me any advice on any of these areas that would be great.

1) surf fishing; good rigs & bait

2) Alvey reel; things to watch out for

3) Maroochydore fishing; some good places to try out

Thanks

Mick

post-4921-14459863611_thumb.jpg

Alvey - The Cast

Use your left hand to turn the reel and grip the line with your finger so the line is taut from the reel to the rod. Use your right arm to "push" the surf rod forward as you bring/steer the butt across your body and down to your left side with your left hand/arm.

The Surf Rig for tailor

Main line then swivel then sinker on 6 inches of line then another swivel then a leader about a metre long to a set of ganged 3/0 or 4/0 hooks depending on the size of your pillie. In the surf you will get away with a short (6") metal trace on the end of the line if you are getting bitten off.

The Surf Rig bream/whiting/flatties etc

Same as the tailor rig except down size the lead and the leader to about half the length. Even sinker on top of hook will work. You should put a swivel on the line in any case to help avoid the line twist.

Bait

For tailor/flatties - pillies and mullet fillets

For other fish (and flatties too) it's hard to go past a fresh sand worm. A pippie (eugary) is also good except I think they are hard to come by at Maroochydore.

Line on an Alvey.

It has to be mono. Braid will whip your hand/arm on the cast and is rather unpleasant.

Where to fish

I've not surf fished at Maroochydore but you will find the same "rules" apply wherever you fish in the surf. Locate the gutter and fish close to the exit if you can (the rip). If there is any structure like rocks in the water have a go at that also. Fishing in the white froth water is good too. as this indicates a stirred bottom which may be stirring up the food in the sand for some natural berley. If gutter exits are hard to find you should still find whiting dart flatties hanging on the edge of the sand bars either side of the gutter and even quite close in along the last "hump" before your bait reaches your feet.

If you get tired of the surf the river holds some decent flathead and whiting. There is also the Cod Hole on the southern side of the river near the motorway bridge.

Good luck. Hope you are warm in the tent at night after a feed of fresh fish.

PS Get a rod holder for the sand. A piece of pipe big enough to stick your butt in :whistle: will do or there are a few different designs available at tackle shops.

Hey Guys,

Thanx for your replys, much appreciated

hopefully will have some great photo's to put up when I get back.

Thanx Ellicat for taking the time to write out a very discriptive reply,

I am going to print that puppy out so I don't forget it... haha

and Malram, thank you sounds good too will have to get some plastics wet in the river and surf.

Nice work ellicat. If you haven't done much surf fishing, pick up the current issue of Qld fishing monthly, or it might have been bush and beach mag, but one of them has a big article on how to read a beach, finding gutters etc. could help u out a lot. Hood luck mate! Look foreward to seeing the report

Nice work ellicat. If you haven't done much surf fishing, pick up the current issue of Qld fishing monthly, or it might have been bush and beach mag, but one of them has a big article on how to read a beach, finding gutters etc. could help u out a lot. Hood luck mate! Look foreward to seeing the report

Nice, I might have a look for that mag today... there's nothing like a good sunday read

While you're there you could also give the Surf Club a go. They do a pretty decent lunch menu if the fishing isn't providing. :lol:

Even If I do catch, I should probably take the catch to the surf club they could probably cook it better than me anyway... haha

Hi all,

Just want to send a huge shout out to Gad, for emailing me heaps of info on surf fishing,

using Alvey reels & reading the beach...

Thanks heaps Gad

I will take my family for a lovely walk after we have set up camp... great advice haha :lol::lol::lol:

Thanks again

Mick

Alvey - The Cast

Use your left hand to turn the reel and grip the line with your finger so the line is taut from the reel to the rod. Use your right arm to "push" the surf rod forward as you bring/steer the butt across your body and down to your left side with your left hand/arm.

The Surf Rig for tailor

Main line then swivel then sinker on 6 inches of line then another swivel then a leader about a metre long to a set of ganged 3/0 or 4/0 hooks depending on the size of your pillie. In the surf you will get away with a short (6") metal trace on the end of the line if you are getting bitten off.

The Surf Rig bream/whiting/flatties etc

Same as the tailor rig except down size the lead and the leader to about half the length. Even sinker on top of hook will work. You should put a swivel on the line in any case to help avoid the line twist.

Bait

For tailor/flatties - pillies and mullet fillets

For other fish (and flatties too) it's hard to go past a fresh sand worm. A pippie (eugary) is also good except I think they are hard to come by at Maroochydore.

Line on an Alvey.

It has to be mono. Braid will whip your hand/arm on the cast and is rather unpleasant.

Where to fish

I've not surf fished at Maroochydore but you will find the same "rules" apply wherever you fish in the surf. Locate the gutter and fish close to the exit if you can (the rip). If there is any structure like rocks in the water have a go at that also. Fishing in the white froth water is good too. as this indicates a stirred bottom which may be stirring up the food in the sand for some natural berley. If gutter exits are hard to find you should still find whiting dart flatties hanging on the edge of the sand bars either side of the gutter and even quite close in along the last "hump" before your bait reaches your feet.

If you get tired of the surf the river holds some decent flathead and whiting. There is also the Cod Hole on the southern side of the river near the motorway bridge.

Good luck. Hope you are warm in the tent at night after a feed of fresh fish.

PS Get a rod holder for the sand. A piece of pipe big enough to stick your butt in :whistle: will do or there are a few different designs available at tackle shops.

Good advice there Brian. When does your next book hit the shelves??????? :P

Archived