sand pumping jetty nightmair

madmullet

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gidday Kurt, its the adopted kiwi here, mate I've got a camera as well we could start at opposite ends, and work our way into the middle that way no-one gets away, "THE AFO LEGION OF DOOM" :evil: I'll tell you what if nothing is done, you might as well say the commercial trawlers have grown legs, they've already messed up the outside oceans, now there coming inland and no-one is going to know what hit them until......"Hey, bummer where did all the fish go???" :huh: Governing bodies need to address this epidemic soon otherwise it will happen and probably sooner than anyone thinks...."There's an old saying...Don't do a poopie in your own back yard!!!...Guess what guys, someone else already is!!!!" :(

Gidday Kurt, its the adopted kiwi here, mate I've got a camera as well we could start at opposite ends, and work our way into the middle that way no-one gets away, "THE AFO LEGION OF DOOM" I'll tell you what if nothing is done, you might as well say the commercial trawlers have grown legs, they've already messed up the outside oceans, now there coming inland and no-one is going to know what hit them until......"Hey, bummer where did all the fish go???" Governing bodies need to address this epidemic soon otherwise it will happen and probably sooner than anyone thinks...."There's an old saying...Don't do a poopie in your own back yard!!!...Guess what guys, someone else already is!!!!"

i am actually starting filming tonight

where does the filming start mate im hoping to get out tonight tomorow i might find you somewhere
i will be their from 8.30 till 10ish

kurt you going solo?

hell yeh :evil: :evil:

Are you going to be measuring their fish? Because even with video evidence you wont be able to tell size. I know you can obviously see whats small but legally you wont be able to have a leg to stand on. Also, they might be fishing in a group and putting it into one esky whats what some of my mates did and not against the law. Just yeah try to keep it factual so if you do go to A Current Affair you'll have some solid evidence and not dismissible.

where does the filming start mate im hoping to get out tonight tomorow i might find you somewhere
i will be their from 8.30 till 10ish

kurt you going solo?

hell yeh :evil: :evil:

Are you going to be measuring their fish? Because even with video evidence you wont be able to tell size. I know you can obviously see whats small but legally you wont be able to have a leg to stand on. Also, they might be fishing in a group and putting it into one esky whats what some of my mates did and not against the law. Just yeah try to keep it factual so if you do go to A Current Affair you'll have some solid evidence and not dismissible.

my 2 cents- stories of this nature are intended to elict a response from the community, I dont think the footage is intended to be used in a legal setting, and trying to make it legally usable would be a waste of time. If the footage is shot correctly there will be little doubt about what is going on, whether fish are measured or not, and that should be enough to generate anger in the wider public in a suitable forum. Beside, a current affair and today tonight stories are usually lacking credibility to the judging eye, their not going to care if your story is factual or not, just if it will sell their show. I'd be inclined to take any story to them only as a last resort, failing exposure through any more credible medium.

On another note, be careful guys, people dont liked being filmed doing the wrong thing. Perhaps a hidden camera approach may be better? Last thing you want is for your camera to end up in the drink and a bunch of angry foreginers pointing filleting knives at you

perhaps you could approach the fisheries department and see if their willing to let you tag along with a few of their officers to film their 'encounters' with this sort of thing? It would expose whats going on out there, have more credibility due to being shot 'with' a government department, show fisheries in a good light whilst highlighting how undermanned for the job they are. Worth a shot in my opinion

perhaps you could approach the fisheries department and see if their willing to let you tag along with a few of their officers to film their 'encounters' with this sort of thing? It would expose whats going on out there, have more credibility due to being shot 'with' a government department, show fisheries in a good light whilst highlighting how undermanned for the job they are. Worth a shot in my opinion

I think the whole problem stems from a lack of manpower within the department of fisheries, a resolution will only come from them stepping in and enforcing the law. No matter how much we cry about it, if they don't take action nothing will change. We can do our civil duty and report the crimes but after that it is out of our hands. No matter which way we think about it we are still civilians and we can't enforce the law without the little special badge, license, or sticker. Sure we can go and kick their buckets, start a fight, cut their lines but at the end of the day we'll be the ones fined, banned from the jetty and persecuted. Report the crimes, alert authorities but after that what else can we do?

I think the whole problem stems from a lack of manpower within the department of fisheries, a resolution will only come from them stepping in and enforcing the law. No matter how much we cry about it, if they don't take action nothing will change. We can do our civil duty and report the crimes but after that it is out of our hands. No matter which way we think about it we are still civilians and we can't enforce the law without the little special badge, license, or sticker. Sure we can go and kick their buckets, start a fight, cut their lines but at the end of the day we'll be the ones fined, banned from the jetty and persecuted. Report the crimes, alert authorities but after that what else can we do?

and the only way their manpower is increased is through legislation and goverment policy modification and funding. The only way to make the goverment legislate or get off their ass and modify a policy/provide more money for a sector is to either lobby or to create enough public outcry that they get worried about losing votes over it and then they step it. So a documentary which creates public anger on a large enough scale will be a good step toward forcing the local and state goverments to provide further funding and policy modification toward this issue. Once you have enough attention toward and issue, you can associate a petition with it as a form of political activism toward the issue.

Example: Australian live cattle exports are treated cruelly in indonesia. Aust gov probably knows about this, but not a public issue so does nothing. Someone films it, it gets on tv, and there is sudden widespread anger and outcry, accompanied by political activism in the form of a petition presented by various animal welfare groups with over 100,000 signatures in a few days.

Goverment suddenly takes notice as angry citizens = loss of votes, and takes theappropriate action to restore public opinion = win back votes. In this case, banning live cattle exports.

So, if you apply that to the way local fish populations are being wiped out by blatant breaking of laws and regulations in regard to bag limits and keep sizes, status quo at the moment = not a issue of public contention = government not concerned by it. Only way to make the government implement a change is to threaten their image and or voting base.

So i support the intentions of Kurt and co in making a documentary to make this a public issue, i sincerely hope it will get the attention it deserves. Maybe a petition can be started from this site in conjunction with the documentary and who knows what can happen

:ohmy: Certainly was an eye opener, I new it would be busy, heard it would be shoulder to shoulder but I thought that was just exageration. People really were cramed in and some sections were like being in a mosh pit!

Maybe these guys just like rubbing up against each other :whistle:

I got hooked up by one set of gangs on my shoulder, I was so angry I couldnt look at the guy cause I new things wouldn't have gone down well. :evil:

Walking down that jetty I felt like was in a 3rd world country and the fish were only there that one night of the year so you had to get everything you could before anyone else so you can feed your poor starving family. Then at the end of the night once the majority had left, it looked like a ghetto with the rubbish everywhere.

Exposing this is the way to go!

Disgusted, Rob

mate you would be doing a great service to our fishery I think, if you got any of the current affairs programs to take notice of your doco. Get the word out there and make a public outcry just like the recent live stock exports issue. Ideally I think what would work is an armed and imposing looking Fisheries Patrol- shotguns and riot gear.

more likely there will be a knee jerk reaction, like in the cattle exports, that sees fishing banned from the jetty

politicians will think that solves the problem but it will still exist, probably moving up to the seaway wall.

would be useful to start taping conversations with fisheries as this could embarrass them into doing their jobs or show that there is a problem with staffing levels

Guys.. I know this is a hot topic and can really get peoples emotions up but please keep in mind this is a family oriented site and there may be young ones reading your posts.

So please be considerate when you are thinking of posting a reply along the lines where certain actions could be a bad influence on young audiences. I'm going to go through and edit some of the posts to make them more family friendly. Any dramas PM me. :) Thanks

Your kidding.this isn't how fishing should be.fun night full of laughs is fishing.not leaving your gear everywhere to pollute the water,taking undersized fish with all the other I have a knife bullshit.might just have to go down with a couple of lads from the club and have a fish mr fisheries.the police will get called we will be the bad guys but.maybe this will bring some attention to the certain ppl who keep undersized fish.blame it on the fisheries department I say.or just claim back the jetty for families, the average mum and dad taking out the kids,the younger ppl who really want to give fishing ago for the first time,or the guy who just wants a quiety from the missus and a day at work.where is the justice.council should be able to fine the litter bugs.revenue will get them thinking maybe. :angry:

Agree the government needs to be stunned into action. Amazing they can create so many green zones because they are so concerned about fish stocks and yet allow this sort of thing to continue to happen. There is no way they could not be aware of this sort of thing.

I've never been to this joint but by the sounds of it it needs a full on and sustained blitz by authorities. In regards to all the rubbish and fish heads, etc, does this get cleaned up day to day by council or does it just continually pile up?

There are certainly some selfish people out there.

Stay safe Kurt and good luck - hope you get some good footage and hope you have luck getting it aired.

well guys as planned i got down to the jetty around 8.30, and was greated by a wall of people. we did a slow walk up the jetty to have a look at what people were catching and to do a head count. we counted 178 people not inclueding us and the people just walking on the jetty arm in arm. i decide i would try and start filming but before i new it i was getting ay, what you doing, f off and one guy even approched me but i sttod my ground and he backed down. i tried filming inconspiquosly??? but with a normal camera it was very hard. so what i intead to do is by a helmat cam over the next few weeks and set it up with a torch on top so it doesnt look like a camera and approch it that way.

another way a mate of mine said to approch it was to do like a fishing report and interveiw people and ask them their techs and what they have caught ect.....

i realy dont no, i would love to think one could change the outcome and effects on situations like these, ONE CAN ONLY HOPE.

i no some of you said it could lead to baning of fishing on jetties or altogether, i dont, well hope to think that only positive things will come from this. this doco wont happen over night but with the support of the people that want to help, it will be done.

i am going to contact the fisheries later to see if their is anything i can do to help.

THANK YOU so much for your feed back guys and keep replying and qiving you point of views and help.

kurt

Good on you Kurt, these people can't keep getting away with it. Take it to fisheries first cause if the media get hold of it straight away then that could very well be the end of fishing jetties. If that doesn't work then think about Today Tonight, they'll run with anything ;) AFO event perhaps? Prizes for the member who can film the most illegal bucket :lol:

well guys as planned i got down to the jetty around 8.30, and was greated by a wall of people. we did a slow walk up the jetty to have a look at what people were catching and to do a head count. we counted 178 people not inclueding us and the people just walking on the jetty arm in arm. i decide i would try and start filming but before i new it i was getting ay, what you doing, f off and one guy even approched me but i sttod my ground and he backed down. i tried filming inconspiquosly??? but with a normal camera it was very hard. so what i intead to do is by a helmat cam over the next few weeks and set it up with a torch on top so it doesnt look like a camera and approch it that way.

another way a mate of mine said to approch it was to do like a fishing report and interveiw people and ask them their techs and what they have caught ect.....

i realy dont no, i would love to think one could change the outcome and effects on situations like these, ONE CAN ONLY HOPE.

i no some of you said it could lead to baning of fishing on jetties or altogether, i dont, well hope to think that only positive things will come from this. this doco wont happen over night but with the support of the people that want to help, it will be done.

i am going to contact the fisheries later to see if their is anything i can do to help.

THANK YOU so much for your feed back guys and keep replying and qiving you point of views and help.

kurt

Sounds like you need a bigger group with you in future to suppress any hero's!

If its on a weekend or maybe a thursday nite I will be more than happy to tag along so you can get some footage and hopefully get some of these twits out of the joint.

Good on you Kurt, these people can't keep getting away with it. Take it to fisheries first cause if the media get hold of it straight away then that could very well be the end of fishing jetties. If that doesn't work then think about Today Tonight, they'll run with anything ;) AFO event perhaps? Prizes for the member who can film the most illegal bucket :lol:

lol,

kurt

Sounds like you need a bigger group with you in future to suppress any hero's!

If its on a weekend or maybe a thursday nite I will be more than happy to tag along so you can get some footage and hopefully get some of these twits out of the joint.

thanks for the support, very greatful

Hey how about everyone that reads this post ring fisheries. The more complaints the more they have to act. Their phone number for the Fishwatch hotline is 1800 017 116.

i think that is a great idea!!

i was there last night with kurt and it was just sickining just walking down the jetty! the rubbish, the smell. and i dont know how many times i nearly got K.O by a hook and bait flying throw the air!

Archived