sand pumping jetty nightmair

madmullet

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have not been to sand pumping jetty for 20 years for all the above complants, i have been pissed off after removing gang hooks out of mates arm.Reaction was kicking blokes bucket of fish in water.His and 5 mates reaction was to retellate with there bloody knifes, dont know what they were saying but got the hint and left in a hurry as we were out numbered by about 50 you know who.WE made a hasty retreat to be picked up in car park by police still geting abused by the mob.At the end the police locked us up for the night ? work that one out.Will not be back any time soon,i see nothing has changed in 20 years. :sick: :angry:

If the media plan fails, then why not try to squeeze them out, Im sure members of AFO and other fishing clubs can come together for a few nights and hit the jettie in nice large numbers, Im pretty sure that we will have more numbers then they will have, and there wont be any need for vilence, we just all fish there, and make it known that they know we are all together, Im pretty sure after a few weeks of this, they will decide that this jetty is not theres and move on. Make sure when you are all there, have your knives within easy reach , but also so that they can see it but cant get it, basicaly do anything possible to show that we have more power then them. Its just a idea

A little bit of deep breathing and count to 10 may be needed....

I believe in this situation,if people do ring or send letters etc the main emphasis should be placed on the illegal taking of under sized fish, the blatant disregard of bag limits,and the mess that these groups leave behind.....

only an opinion…

Fellas I applaud the response of those who have started to contact government and opposition members of parliament and media/fishing commentary outlets.

I would suggest strongly that unless you have witnessed first hand or know someone who has been knived or know for certain that official reports of stabbings has been made,I would leave making a statement about stabbings out of your correspondence especially with contact to members of parliament.

:)

agreed.

My inclincation would be to form an offical email or letter of concern and then get everyones support behind it. It's going to look better if the ministers and officals recieve a well written email with 500 names to it then a barrage of 30 emails from separate indiviuals.

/>http://www.getup.org.au/campaigns/animals/live-export/ban-live-export

If you go to the above website you'll see that got emails and names of those supporting the cattle ban in an 'online' petiton. Actual signatures are not neccessary. This was presented to the government and was a big part in forcing the ban.

Perhaps we could get someone from AFO to draft an official letter of complaint/concern (in my opinion it should use the sand pumping jetty as an example but not be exclusivley concerned with one jetty in particulay, rather the practice as a whole, right around the state) Then, we can get everyone on the site to add their names, postcodes and emails to the letter, and recruit more from other fishign socities, clubs, groups. Once we have sufficient backing, this could be sent to many departments, and if no response is forthcoming, the documentary being prepared by madmullet could feature the unwillingness of the government to respond to a democratic process which they have an obligation to recognise and respond to.

This then can snowball: if the documentary gets coverage, link to the petition can be aired and if many thousands of people put their name to the petition, the government has no choice but to act.Alternativley, if despite our best efforts we dont get the initial coverage/results were after, we can patiently keep building the base of support in our petition until its of sufficient size that local government and media can not ignore it. Thats the beauty of political activism- its backed legislativley. If enough of the public make a demand, it cannot go ignored.

Just my thoughts, congrats to madmullet for having the guts to tackle this, and kudos to everyone whose made an effort to raise awareness so far.

Cheers,

Nathan

If the media plan fails, then why not try to squeeze them out, Im sure members of AFO and other fishing clubs can come together for a few nights and hit the jettie in nice large numbers, Im pretty sure that we will have more numbers then they will have, and there wont be any need for vilence, we just all fish there, and make it known that they know we are all together, Im pretty sure after a few weeks of this, they will decide that this jetty is not theres and move on. Make sure when you are all there, have your knives within easy reach , but also so that they can see it but cant get it, basicaly do anything possible to show that we have more power then them. Its just a idea

sorry mate, but i have to disagree with you here

1) our goal isn't to shuffle them off to destory another part of our marine environment, and as pleasing as it would be to 'drive them off' from the sand pumping jetty, it does nothing for the fish populations overall if they move to the seaway wall or somewhere else

2) dont count on having more numbers then them, dont count on them being intimiated or the least bit pertrubed by another crowd on the jetty, they'll cast right over your shoulder trust me.

3) Best way for this public motion to fail is for the organisation behind it to lose credibility with thug like tactics and knee jerk reactions.

4) dont know about anyone else, i cant be stuffed blockading a jetty every night for a week just to 'move them on' (they'll be back as soon as its vacant again)

no offense intended mate, i completely understand the urge to get down there and make them piss off, but for the above reasons id suggest it would be a bad idea

cheers,

nathan

I agree with the above post. An official letter/email written clearly with many names etc on it - or - just one that we each can download and add our name to it then forward on to the true "officials".

Seems like haines490slc can write a good letter :) hint hint haha.

I'll type one out and get the mrs to proof read it and post it here but I don't think it will be good enough or written well enough.

Cheers

Woodlaz

I agree with the 3 prev posts a confrontational attitude will get nowhere and please remember that a lot of people lurk on the forums to see what is going on.

I say stick to the letters and the media campaign and make certain that all statements are factual not my aunties sisters boarder said type of thing.

Cheers

Ray

No more talk about carrying Knives, its illegal and apart from that stupid. Let the media and pollies do the job and dont become a part of the problem, we are talking about bag limits and undersizes fishing and arse oles who keep out other people from fishing dont make it a bigger issue because the media WILL and it will become a Racial problem and this site will suffer. KEEP OUT OF ILLEGAL ACTS AND TALKing ABOUT RETALIATION. :(:angry:

Well, whatever happens i hope the end result will look like the pics below. Im amongst the millions of people that would be sick to death of the activities on the jetty every winter.

WOuld be great if they impose a ban on fishing on the jetty for a few years to give it a rest...

should be clean, clear and beautiful like it deserves! NO FISHING for a few years to give back what it should look like!

post-4323-144598638147_thumb.jpg

post-4323-144598638151_thumb.jpg

post-4323-144598638155_thumb.jpg

Well, whatever happens i hope the end result will look like the pics below. Im amongst the millions of people that would be sick to death of the activities on the jetty every winter.

WOuld be great if they impose a ban on fishing on the jetty for a few years to give it a rest...

should be clean, clear and beautiful like it deserves! NO FISHING for a few years to give back what it should look like!

[attachment=36020]jett.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=36021]cleanz.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=36022]beautz.JPG[/attachment]

i agree i would never fish there myself unless only a few on the jetty and no fishing would return it back to a beautiful jetty that families could enjoy going for a walk and looking at the gold coast.

Would be great if they impose a ban on fishing on the jetty for a few years to give it a rest...

might not need the authorities to ban it though ... the sand pump operators might ban it themselves ...

the pipe sprung a leak where most people cast out for tailor ... could be the pressure in the pipes or could it be because the pipes were not designed to take the repeated beatings from sinkers :lol:

I just registered and I dont like what the board is saying about the jetty in the Gold Coast. Thread participants seems to be filled with racists, haters and several people who think the jetty is a guarantee for tailor fishing.

for 6 hours, 10-15 days out of 30days for 2 1/2 months things get crazy out there in winter.

I can take my kids walking out their anytime during the 3 other seasons and the other 18 hours during winter.

I agree with the 3 prev posts a confrontational attitude will get nowhere and please remember that a lot of people lurk on the forums to see what is going on.

I say stick to the letters and the media campaign and make certain that all statements are factual not my aunties sisters boarder said type of thing.

Cheers

Ray

Massive exaggeration. How do people get away with these made up stories. I bet you dont have that on film. No wonder vigilante action is being proposed. Its like talkback radio..all hearsay. You obviously dont like Asians but are afraid to say it.

I am sure they will be looking for your filming activities. People who go looking for trouble usually get it. Alot of crazy people out their who dont give a*^#@%

The jetty crowd, regulars, sometimers or families does not have 1 single person on here defending it. Looks like its all backslapping and agreement on this thread.

With regard to my post this morning, I've decided to outline a few things regarding the activities of a certain few "individuals".

I'm not sure how many of you are familiar with the Gold Coast Seaway Sand Pumping Jetty, but it's an 800m long jetty just south of the seaway entrance. As the jetty extends so far out, there is access to some decent fishing at particular times of the day or year. The jetty has two large flow pipes running along the south facing side of it for the pumping process, and various locked maintenance platforms periodically along its length for access to the joins in piping and other devices and controls. It is illegal to set foot onto the maintenance platforms for obvious reasons.

Last night, I arrived to an all too familiar sight. The jetty was lined with hundreds, and hundreds of Asians fishing. This isn't a problem. I don't care if there's 600 nations fishing on that jetty - it's not the point. Along the entire length of the jetty, they are shoulder to shoulder and amongst them are quite a number of completely inconsiderate and obnoxious individuals.

Of these individuals, many fish with as many as six or more rods - each. On some of these rods are dropper rigs with no less than 8 or 10 baited hooks. Last night I observed dozens of people undertaking this practice. Three or four of these dropper rigs will be in the water, whilst the owner continues to slay tailor after tailor after tailor after tailor - regardless of size or number. Literally anything, and I mean anything that becomes hooked on those dropper lines is promptly wound in, and goes straight into the esky. Anything at all. If it's a herring, bream, whiting, soul, flathead, dart - doesn't matter. Anything at all, no matter how big...it goes into the esky. Why? What the hell can someone do with a 14cm whiting? Someone please explain.

The individuals seem to think that they're above the rest of us, and that they have priority access to the maintenance platforms (easier casting as there is no overhead obstruction from the pipes) which they adorn with all their worldly possessions necessary to decimate an environment.

As I walked the length of the jetty last night, not one of these platforms was absent of these "individuals".

I observed two separate parties of "individuals", one party of two and one of three discard their bait packets, wrapping from whatever they were consuming and numerous soft drink cans over the edge of the jetty as they laughed and carried on with their bullshit

One of these parties of "individuals" later in the night after they had been through two 2.5kg blocks of pilchards and far, far out numbered the tailor bag limit, took it upon themselves that as I was standing about eight metres away, my gear was there for their personal supply and went about shuffling through my gear to find my bait, as I looked on. Of course, this prompted a mandatory tongue lashing fueled by my already furious temper to which they turned and promptly returned to "their' platform, dropping handfuls of my bait as they did so.

Who in God's name gives these #######s the right to go through my gear? Where the hell did these "individuals" get off thinking that rules and regulations that normal people abide by, do not apply to them? How can these "individuals" of such arrogance pay such complete and utter disrespect to what our environment has to offer?

The general norm of these "individuals" fishing for tailor seems to be just as Alex has described. The family unit will be present. One person will hold the rod and effectively catch the fish and wind it in. As he/she brings the fish to the jetty, someone else unhooks the fish and assists it with its journey to the esky while someone else baits the hook. All while this is happening, the "individual" holding the rod will have it over his/her shoulder ready for the next cast. Upon baiting the hook, the line is cast back out for another fish.

Numerous parties of these individuals obviously know they are acting illegally in regard to the fish that they take. Once the esky has a large number of fish, legal size or not, one person of the party will wheel the esky back down the jetty on a little cart to the car park and empty the fish into the car. They will then return with miraculously with an empty esky - to start the process again. I have observed this on numerous occasions at this site. What the hell does someone do with over 60 tailor? Anyone reckon they're using these fish for "personal consumption"?

On a separate occasion last year, my line had become entangled in one of these "individual's" dropper rigs, about 30m away. As I hadn't seen much of what went on at this location, I waited as he went about untangling the line - or so I thought. I wound in my line to see that he had simply cut the line, and kept my rig.

For those of you that have suggested that something be done, this is just a little insight into what I'm so furious about, and yes, something needs to be done. I'm not being racist - I don't have a problem with Asians fishing or the Asian race as a whole. I have a problem with the fact that these "individuals" seem to go out of their way to match themselves to the stereotype that we're all so familiar with. I have an even bigger problem with the fact that these people have absolutely no regard what so ever for rules, regulations or common decency towards other people.

this is the post that hains posted

oh boy ignorance in droves is masquerading as fact. The jetty is cleaned and powerwashed every single morning if the previous nights fishing was good and again their are no guarantees at the jetty like some think.[cleaning is everyday whatever happens] The cleaning and powerwashing takes place at approx 7am. Stop listening to others who have an agenda and go see for yourself. After 7am its the most beautiful place for a morning walk and I still do with my hubby and kids all the time and I fish their once every week.

The poor owner after several years of bad fishing and high lease fees he is finally managing to breakeven on the jetty. Before winter he had many days with less than 10 people. Why dont some of you go make him an offer to take over the lease. Its for sale and he is about 85 yrs old.

The jetty is perfect and I love it, the only thing I would change is limit the people on the Jetty when the tailor are on to 200 for 6 hours during any such night... all of whom must be fishing, no walkers or family hanging around especially children. Thats it. it would have those limitations about 6hrs out of 15 days in June, July & august.

I have never been there but to my mind there are several issues here that need addressing.

Who owns the sand pumping jetty and what are the conditions of the lease?

Surely the lessor has a clause in the lease re the cleaning of the jetty?

Are there bins there for people to deposit their rubbish?

Is he abiding to the conditions of the lease.

He also has a duty of care to ensure that it is safe to walk and fish there.

If there is an issue of overcrowding he needs to manage this.

Re the ignoring of bag and size limits I think that whilst phone calls to the 1800 number may have a limited effect I think that letters to the minister and ccing it to your local member ( Better still if the minister is in opposition as they delight in sticking it into the Government) is a much more effective method of obtaining a result.

The minister has to reply to your letter and he will have to pass it down the line and the more letters he receives the more likely something will be done.

This is the tactic that minority groups utilize to get results.

Posting on a forum certainly will assist to give publicly to a matter but in most cases is preaching to the converted.

The only way to bring about change is to get the politicians to get off heir fat bums.

Bligh Anna, Maria (Anna) [Hon Ms]

Premier and Minister for Reconstruction Level 15 Executive Building 100 George Street BRISBANE QLD, 4000

Postal : PO Box 15185, CITY EAST, QLD, 4002

Email : premier@ministerial.qld.gov.au (07) 3224 4500 (07) 3221 3631

Wallace Craig, Andrew (Craig) [Hon]

Minister for Main Roads, Fisheries and Marine Infrastructure Level 13 Mineral House 41 George Street BRISBANE QLD, 4000

Postal : PO Box 15456, CITY EAST QLD, 4002

Email : mainroads@ministerial.qld.gov.au

Robinson Mark, Andrew (Mark) [Dr]

Shadow Minister for Main Roads, Fisheries and marine Infrastructure 'Kramer Place' 19 Waterloo Street CLEVELAND, QLD, 4163 (07) 3286 2726 (07) 3286 5418

Cheers

Ray

Mark Robinson will certainly follow it up.

'foreigners' LOL. I guess because you are 3 or generations that makes you more Aussie than than. 'Asian - no racism intended' .LOL. kinda like "I have black friends you know". Boganism x 10 :) What a over the top letter. I have already written all the contacts on this thread to let them know the racism, innuendo, hesrsay and the plain lies in that letter and this thread. What a dissappointment when they go down to the Jetty and realise that most have packed at 8pm because the tailor are not running or go visit the jetty [after a prior night tailor run] at 8am and see the pristine conditions after it has been cleaned.

i just emailed the editor of Modern Fishing about it - email and response below. I'm happy to put him in contact with you MadMullet since I've never actually been down there......thoughts??

Hi Michael

Thanks for your email.

How would you feel if I forwarded your email to Qld fisheries, and published their response in the mag? Certainly a concern for locals in your area, but also for all Australians interested in preserving the environment and fish stocks across the country!

Let me know what you think.

Kind regards,

Nick

Nicholas Janzen

Editor – Modern Fishing magazine

50 Silverwater Rd, Silverwater NSW 2128

Sent: Wednesday, 22 June 2011 2:41 PM

To: njanzen@expresspublications.com.au

Subject: Article idea

Hi Nicholas

I’m a member of Brisbane Fishing Online (www.australianfishing.com.au) and there’s been a significant discussion lately surrounding fishing on the Sand Pumping Jetty at the Southport Spit on the Gold Coast. It mainly pertains to the scores of people (mainly foreigners) who fish using illegal techniques (up to 6 rods a person, longline style rigs, etc) and take undersize fish in quantities far over the legal bag limits for Queensland. Quite often the technique is to keep everything that is caught in an esky, then take the esky to the car and empty it into a bigger one, then come back for a refill. It’s a farce and a disgrace.

Fisheries are reluctant to enforce the rules and fine them, and when confronted by law abiding fisherman, knives are typically pulled by the culprits (there have been numerous assaults and stabbings at this spot).

Anyway, that’s the background. I know Modern Fishing isn’t normally the avenue to tackle this kind of thing, but is it something that you would be interested in as a special report? You don’t’ require a license to fish saltwater in QLD and the rules just aren’t being enforced by fisheries. I understand it’s probably precarious ground as most of the culprits are Asian – no racism intended in it, that’s just the way it is.

What do you think?

Cheers

Michael

thousandyards

( User )

AFO Senior

to the people on hear that think this is a racial battle, you are clearly mistaken, if you read the post correctly you will see this. i at no time singled out 1 race......

i for one dont wish to be accused of this and wish for the admin to take action as this post is mearly trying to change thing not be racest.......

Absolutely correct since 2004 on ausfish. Same story. People use a night when the tailor is biting hard as if that happens on the jetty everyday. At most you have about 25days a year when you can turn up at sunset and bag out in 2 hours. I can tell you that 2009 and 2010 were none of these years. I dare you all to go down their any day next week, most will be diappointed if the tailor does not turn up by 7pm you better go home as 3/4 of any crowd will be packing up too many after driving the 60km from Brisbane. On weekends by 11pm only the dedicated is still fishing. THEIR ARE NO GUARANTEES at the jetty and many poeple learn the hard way but as usual only hype and bogan type today tonight stories get any airplay. Please dont join the masses of the misinformed and go see for yourself

I think you are missing the poitn and skewing the conversation. The main points are:

1. There are illegal fishing practices that go on here

2, People are also fishing with illegal rigs - e,g with up to six hooks

3. Even though it is cleaned each monring it is still a mess with alot of watse around that blows into the sea.

Please make a effort to stay on subject

Thanks

Absolutely correct since 2004 on ausfish. Same story. People use a night when the tailor is biting hard as if that happens on the jetty everyday. At most you have about 25days a year when you can turn up at sunset and bag out in 2 hours. I can tell you that 2009 and 2010 were none of these years. I dare you all to go down their any day next week, most will be diappointed if the tailor does not turn up by 7pm you better go home as 3/4 of any crowd will be packing up too many after driving the 60km from Brisbane. On weekends by 11pm only the dedicated is still fishing. THEIR ARE NO GUARANTEES at the jetty and many poeple learn the hard way but as usual only hype and bogan type today tonight stories get any airplay. Please dont join the masses of the misinformed and go see for yourself

hi thanks for introducing yourself when you joined!!!!!!!!!!!!

You supported 2 posts[letters] that mentioned Asians and specifically implied that certain races were involved. Stop trying to backslide.

Of course you want the moderator to take action. ALL AGREEMENT AND BACKSLAPPING on this thread while you go fully unimpeded on your anti jetty agenda.

get real you think you it would have so easy to embark on your little crusade.

The lies on this 'thread' are over the top and I hope BOF is not only about crusades and members agreeing with other members

to the people on hear that think this is a racial battle, you are clearly mistaken, if you read the post correctly you will see this. i at no time singled out 1 race......

i for one dont wish to be accused of this and wish for the admin to take action as this post is mearly trying to change thing not be racest.......

I think you are missing the poitn and skewing the conversation. The main points are:

FISHING INSPECTORS ARE THEIR 3-4x per week. FACT that can be confirmed by owner, kiosk managers and regulars. Some regulars have their mobile and direct landline number. I do as well. Sometimes they are in the carpark checking boots.

So jigs with 6 hooks are illegal. You mean those sold in every tackle shop in Ausd. I dont use them but are you sure of this. I see the inspectors at least once per week and i will ask them

3. Even though it is cleaned each monring it is still a mess with alot of watse around that blows into the sea.

oh stop it are you some kind of perfectionist. I see rubbish on beaches every single day. Some blows into the sea. The council cleans up once a day too. The point is it gets cleans and their are about 10 bins on the JEtty. This sounds like a redherring on your part

I am very much on subject. alot of innuendo and boganism I see masquerading as fact

Thanks

You supported 2 posts[letters] that mentioned Asians and specifically implied that certain races were involved. Stop trying to backslide.

Of course you want the moderator to take action. ALL AGREEMENT AND BACKSLAPPING on this thread while you go fully unimpeded on your anti jetty agenda.

get real you think you it would have so easy to embark on your little crusade.

The lies on this 'thread' are over the top and I hope BOF is not only about crusades and members agreeing with other...

and its nice to meet you to...

how is your day going, mine is goin great. i hope you are injoying afo, it is a great site isnt it...

Hi , Im Emma and I like fishing from the jetty as it offers a safe place for me and my kids to fish and not meeting an untimely death on the rocks or beach. we women like pretty, clean and SAFE places to fish from. I dont have a boat and I like the sinks, bathrooms,etc their where my kids and I can wash our hands and they can run around and take a pee. You should actually go their on a sunday in the day and see the amount of women and kids fishing.

hi thanks for introducing yourself when you joined!!!!!!!!!!!!

i have been fishing on the spit jetty a couple times last week. it does get busy but the mojority of people do do the right thing when it comes to size of fish. i do see them measure and check before taking. i do see a couple people take undersize fish but rarely. this thread is saying that nearly everyone does it when its not true. i know most of people on there. when i do see people take undersize fish i also tell them as well. sometimes they listen and throw it back and sometimes they dont. these people are the one who gives it the bad reputation. i have fished the spit jetty every year and have never seen or heard of a knife fight in years. just remember being told of one which happened ages ago. reading this thread people are saying that knife fights happen very often and so on. i find this isnt true. i dont think anyone would a pull a knife out. its mostly arguements. i have had heaps of arguments up there but never seen a knife. so please have proper evidence before saying anything like that. if anyone likes i am more then happy to take them for a walk and talk to fishos up there to see wat they have got and can decide how much of the majority is taking undersize fish. most of the men up there know my face because my dad knows them. its just i have been fishing up there since a kid. and alot of things said in this thread isnt true. which really offends me. im not trying to back up the guys up there. the night you went madmullet the fish were small. just legal. they looked undersize to me but when measured came up as 36. i was there fishing from 4-6. got a good 15 and went home.

Hi , Im Emma and I like fishing from the jetty as it offers a safe place for me and my kids to fish and not meeting an untimely death on the rocks or beach. we women like pretty, clean and SAFE places to fish from. I dont have a boat and I like the sinks, bathrooms,etc their where my kids and I can wash our hands and they can run around and take a pee. You should actually go their on a sunday in the day and see the amount of women and kids fishing.

thats great.... good to no....

good to know women go their with their kids it realy is....

but we are not talking about sunday during the day

Thanks

Agreed Blair.

Girlychick: No offense but you have accused members in this thread of having an "aggenda". After being a member for a short time you have made it a mission of your own to pull this thread apart using the bits and peices that suit your argument. Nothing wrong with having your opinion but get to know the members a bit (which unless you have alternate accounts would be impossible in the short time you have been here).

Madmullet for example is a helpful member who has gone out of his way to assist other members regardless of racial background.

I have to admit I had not been following this thread until this morning so I took the time to read back through its entirety. Seems to me 90% of the threads made here are far more focused on "what fisheries is or in this case is not doing" than on "the racial origins of those fishing". In fact several of the members who have chimed in in support of the original post are of various ethnic backgrounds (Asian and otherwise) that you claim have been heavily victimised.

You clearly have a love for this location and I think if you took the time to get to know this community a bit better you will find that any and all critism in this thread is well meant and in the hope that this location and fish stocks can be maintained.

Once again not having a go at all but using a lot of past experience from being a member on this site for nearly 7 years, if you wish your view to be seriously considered, the worst thing to do is come in guns firing picking off people you have not had a chance to know. You have some great points but I personally feel you have done your argument a diservice by the way you have approached this thread.

Good fishing.

Angus

Hi Emma, Thanks for letting us know abit about you, Iv been on this site for a few years, and it is a great site, lots to learn and i have learnt alot that i did not know before joining this site, there are going to be some heated talk and that happens when we are all so Passionate about something that we love. Im ausy , but my wife and most of my friends are asian, infact i dont have many ausy friends, dont know why , just don't, I don't accept racism in any way or form, but you need to admit that there are some races that makes the rest look bad, even my wife says that some asians (not trying to be racist ok) make her look bad and thats every were, its the same when i go to KL, some ausies make me want to hide because they do things to make me embarrised.

Its also good that your voicing your opinion, just try not to quote too much from other sites, as we are all different.

I have been to the jetty but only during the day time, and i have seen small groups pulling in undersize fish and keeping them, i have also seen fish left for dead (still alive) on the walkway of the jetty and it kinda upsets me when i see that.

From your messages, i can tell that your one of the good guys/girls that does the right thing, and i would not mind fishing with you if we ever bump into each other.

From what your seeing your probley seeing the same thing that my wife saw in the movie Gran Torino, and she thought that was very racist untill i explained to her what the movie was about.

Im going there Wed day time provided i dont change my plans, and i hope that i dont run into people doing the wrong thing, I hope that we will all be there for a good time fishing the legal way. Im not going to go there with a group as ganging up is wrong and end up in a bad way, im probley will just go there alone. If your there and see me come over and have a chat

So much sense here. Thank you for that post. My hubby fishes their 5 times week in winter and has never seen or heard of knife fight and knows all the jetty gossip. I mean ALL. Lots of ambulance visits from drunks junping over the side for swim but never a police visit. Even the most keen[during tailor season] who happen to be veitnameese from Inala in Brisbane[most over 50years old who fought for this country with Aussie diggers against their own country men in Veitnam] all have their yellow rulers and yes you are right 35 cm looks small to most. , The size limit was 30cm 2 years ago. I can tell you none of them take a chance of the inspectors have been out in force. People without rulers should not comment about fish size. One jetty regular is famous dober and has fisheries on speed dial on his phone. He does not play and even he hasnt made any calls in weeks. Sure their are arguements with tangled line IF THE tailor are running but most will even cut their own line so they can rerig and not waste time.

People need to go visit themselves and stop listening to others

i have been fishing on the spit jetty a couple times last week. it does get busy but the mojority of people do do the right thing when it comes to size of fish. i do see them measure and check before taking. i do see a couple people take undersize fish but rarely. this thread is saying that nearly everyone does it when its not true. i know most of people on there. when i do see people take undersize fish i also tell them as well. sometimes they listen and throw it back and sometimes they dont. these people are the one who gives it the bad reputation. i have fished the spit jetty every year and have never seen or heard of a knife fight in years. just remember being told of one which happened ages ago. reading this thread people are saying that knife fights happen very often and so on. i find this isnt true. i dont think anyone would a pull a knife out. its mostly arguements. i have had heaps of arguments up there but never seen a knife. so please have proper evidence before saying anything like that. if anyone likes i am more then happy to take them for a walk and talk to fishos up there to see wat they have got and can decide how much of the majority is taking undersize fish. most of the men up there know my face because my dad knows them. its just i have been fishing up there since a kid. and alot of things said in this thread isnt true. which really offends me. im not trying to back up the guys up there. the night you went madmullet the fish were small. just legal. they looked undersize to me but when measured came up as 36. i was there fishing from 4-6. got a good 15 and went home.

cool what about the bream and whiting let alone the tailor that were about 20-25cm long. i am not creating a fight nor do i like being called a lier. and when i went up their the other night, why do you think peoiple approched me and told me to and i am going to put this lightly go away and when i didnt i got approched by 4 individualy and i got out of their. i didnt want to film at the time as i wasnt comfitable being approched in the manner i was, and i have 3 people to back me up to what i am saying. i thort if i filmed them they would take my camera and destroy it so i had no evidence....

now why do you think an inocent person would do this?????????

Thanks

Agreed Blair.

Girlychick: No offense but you have accused members in this thread of having an "aggenda". After being a member for a short time you have made it a mission of your own to pull this thread apart using the bits and peices that suit your argument. Nothing wrong with having your opinion but get to know the members a bit (which unless you have alternate accounts would be impossible in the short time you have been here).

Madmullet for example is a helpful member who has gone out of his way to assist other members regardless of racial background.

I have to admit I had not been following this thread until this morning so I took the time to read back through its entirety. Seems to me 90% of the threads made here are far more focused on "what fisheries is or in this case is not doing" than on "the racial origins of those fishing". In fact several of the members who have chimed in in support of the original post are of various ethnic backgrounds (Asian and otherwise) that you claim have been heavily victimised.

You clearly have a love for this location and I think if you took the time to get to know this community a bit better you will find that any and all critism in this thread is well meant and in the hope that this location and fish stocks can be maintained.

Once again not having a go at all but using a lot of past experience from being a member on this site for nearly 7 years, if you wish your view to be seriously considered, the worst thing to do is come in guns firing picking off people you have not had a chance to know. You have some great points but I personally feel you have done your argument a diservice by the way you have approached this thread.

Good fishing.

Madmullet for example is a helpful member who has gone out of his way to assist other members regardless of racial background

and by the way if you think i am racest come around to my place and see who i have living with me....... and i dare you to call me racet again.....

Angus

cool what about the bream and whiting let alone the tailor that were about 20-25cm long. i am not creating a fight nor do i like being called a lier. and when i went up their the other night, why do you think peoiple approched me and told me to and i am going to put this lightly go away and when i didnt i got approched by 4 individualy and i got out of their. i didnt want to film at the time as i wasnt comfitable being approched in the manner i was, and i have 3 people to back me up to what i am saying. i thort if i filmed them they would take my camera and destroy it so i had no evidence....

now why do you think an inocent person would do this?????????

im sorry if i offended you madmullet. i was just saying what i see as i do usually go up there. the crowd i usually fish with measure their catch and when i do go for a walk i see mostly legal fish even if there is undersize caught on the night. about 85% of people on the jetty usually have the legal limits. if you want to do a doco i am more then happy to come with you to film. im sorry mate if it seem like i called you a liar. if i was fishing up there and someone came up and film me without asking or anything, i would probuly tell them to go away as well.

Massive exaggeration. How do people get away with these made up stories. I bet you dont have that on film. No wonder vigilante action is being proposed. Its like talkback radio..all hearsay. You obviously dont like Asians but are afraid to say it.

I am sure they will be looking for your filming activities. People who go looking for trouble usually get it. Alot of crazy people out their who dont give a*^#@%

The jetty crowd, regulars, sometimers or families does not have 1 single person on here defending it. Looks like its all backslapping and agreement on this thread.

With regard to my post this morning, I've decided to outline a few things regarding the activities of a certain few "individuals".

I'm not sure how many of you are familiar with the Gold Coast Seaway Sand Pumping Jetty, but it's an 800m long jetty just south of the seaway entrance. As the jetty extends so far out, there is access to some decent fishing at particular times of the day or year. The jetty has two large flow pipes running along the south facing side of it for the pumping process, and various locked maintenance platforms periodically along its length for access to the joins in piping and other devices and controls. It is illegal to set foot onto the maintenance platforms for obvious reasons.

Last night, I arrived to an all too familiar sight. The jetty was lined with hundreds, and hundreds of Asians fishing. This isn't a problem. I don't care if there's 600 nations fishing on that jetty - it's not the point. Along the entire length of the jetty, they are shoulder to shoulder and amongst them are quite a number of completely inconsiderate and obnoxious individuals.

Of these individuals, many fish with as many as six or more rods - each. On some of these rods are dropper rigs with no less than 8 or 10 baited hooks. Last night I observed dozens of people undertaking this practice. Three or four of these dropper rigs will be in the water, whilst the owner continues to slay tailor after tailor after tailor after tailor - regardless of size or number. Literally anything, and I mean anything that becomes hooked on those dropper lines is promptly wound in, and goes straight into the esky. Anything at all. If it's a herring, bream, whiting, soul, flathead, dart - doesn't matter. Anything at all, no matter how big...it goes into the esky. Why? What the hell can someone do with a 14cm whiting? Someone please explain.

The individuals seem to think that they're above the rest of us, and that they have priority access to the maintenance platforms (easier casting as there is no overhead obstruction from the pipes) which they adorn with all their worldly possessions necessary to decimate an environment.

As I walked the length of the jetty last night, not one of these platforms was absent of these "individuals".

I observed two separate parties of "individuals", one party of two and one of three discard their bait packets, wrapping from whatever they were consuming and numerous soft drink cans over the edge of the jetty as they laughed and carried on with their bullshit

One of these parties of "individuals" later in the night after they had been through two 2.5kg blocks of pilchards and far, far out numbered the tailor bag limit, took it upon themselves that as I was standing about eight metres away, my gear was there for their personal supply and went about shuffling through my gear to find my bait, as I looked on. Of course, this prompted a mandatory tongue lashing fueled by my already furious temper to which they turned and promptly returned to "their' platform, dropping handfuls of my bait as they did so.

Who in God's name gives these #######s the right to go through my gear? Where the hell did these "individuals" get off thinking that rules and regulations that normal people abide by, do not apply to them? How can these "individuals" of such arrogance pay such complete and utter disrespect to what our environment has to offer?

The general norm of these "individuals" fishing for tailor seems to be just as Alex has described. The family unit will be present. One person will hold the rod and effectively catch the fish and wind it in. As he/she brings the fish to the jetty, someone else unhooks the fish and assists it with its journey to the esky while someone else baits the hook. All while this is happening, the "individual" holding the rod will have it over his/her shoulder ready for the next cast. Upon baiting the hook, the line is cast back out for another fish.

Numerous parties of these individuals obviously know they are acting illegally in regard to the fish that they take. Once the esky has a large number of fish, legal size or not, one person of the party will wheel the esky back down the jetty on a little cart to the car park and empty the fish into the car. They will then return with miraculously with an empty esky - to start the process again. I have observed this on numerous occasions at this site. What the hell does someone do with over 60 tailor? Anyone reckon they're using these fish for "personal consumption"?

On a separate occasion last year, my line had become entangled in one of these "individual's" dropper rigs, about 30m away. As I hadn't seen much of what went on at this location, I waited as he went about untangling the line - or so I thought. I wound in my line to see that he had simply cut the line, and kept my rig.

For those of you that have suggested that something be done, this is just a little insight into what I'm so furious about, and yes, something needs to be done. I'm not being racist - I don't have a problem with Asians fishing or the Asian race as a whole. I have a problem with the fact that these "individuals" seem to go out of their way to match themselves to the stereotype that we're all so familiar with. I have an even bigger problem with the fact that these people have absolutely no regard what so ever for rules, regulations or common decency towards other people.

this is the post that hains posted

its funny u say that coz i filmed it all ;)

Listen, I get

in London aussies are stereotyped drunk and known for disorderly behavior and in Aus Asians are stero typed in Today tonight and other such great sources of information.:) I see what you are trying to say. i'll prove it you :) My brother in laws wife who is Aussie Asian[born here] tells me that Asians are repesonsible for the lack of pipies on the Gold Coast beaches. I cant argue as heard the confirmed stories of 10 shopping bags of ppies per night back then. But I tell here that was in the 1980's and people should now be allowed the benefit of the doubt as its now 30yr later. See admits to me that Aussie Asians are 100% different from 1st generation fishos and that alot has changed. I can see that as veits at the jetty may be super keen but most are doing the right thing with their rulers and taking only bag limits. I dont even have a problem with a man and his wife coming fishing[wife only fishing 1% of the time] and taking 40 tailor at 35cm as he is obeying the law and probably had to make 5 drives from Brisbane for this much tailor as the other days were duds

I am am with 3-4 big fish but then again I live on the coast.

Hi Emma, Thanks for letting us know abit about you, Iv been on this site for a few years, and it is a great site, lots to learn and i have learnt alot that i did not know before joining this site, there are going to be some heated talk and that happens when we are all so Passionate about something that we love. Im ausy , but my wife and most of my friends are asian, infact i dont have many ausy friends, dont know why , just don't, I don't accept racism in any way or form, but you need to admit that there are some races that makes the rest look bad, even my wife says that some asians (not trying to be racist ok) make her look bad and thats every were, its the same when i go to KL, some ausies make me want to hide because they do things to make me embarrised.

Its also good that your voicing your opinion, just try not to quote too much from other sites, as we are all different.

I have been to the jetty but only during the day time, and i have seen small groups pulling in undersize fish and keeping them, i have also seen fish left for dead (still alive) on the walkway of the jetty and it kinda upsets me when i see that.

From your messages, i can tell that your one of the good guys/girls that does the right thing, and i would not mind fishing with you if we ever bump into each other.

From what your seeing your probley seeing the same thing that my wife saw in the movie Gran Torino, and she thought that was very racist untill i explained to her what the movie was about.

Im going there Wed day time provided i dont change my plans, and i hope that i dont run into people doing the wrong thing, I hope that we will all be there for a good time fishing the legal way. Im not going to go there with a group as ganging up is wrong and end up in a bad way, im probley will just go there alone. If your there and see me come over and have a chat

Archived