Fishing the westerlies

Old Scaley

Hi All, just opening this up for discussion. I went out on a charter to the south Barwon Banks on Friday (would have been the north end of the banks if the weather was better) and got stuff all in comparison to other trips to the area. Also looking at the reports for the last few days, you have to say the fishing has been quiet. I have a theory that the fishing shuts down in the westerlies, but happy to be proven wrong. I think it is the barometric pressure. Any other theories?

Interesting theory mate - very much looking forward to the replies. Was also one or two days after the full moon - any idea if this is normally good/bad? I went out to Mud and fished what seemed like good structure from about 2:30am onwards and didn't catch one single fish using fresh green prawns, pillies and had a live mullet out which remained untouched.

The poliniseans set up their calander around the moon phases so they get the most out of their fishing which is their main food source as they don't have the luxury like us to sport fish. I have found reef fishing this has more bearing for myself along with the tide changes are the best bite times.

The poliniseans set up their calander around the moon phases so they get the most out of their fishing which is their main food source as they don't have the luxury like us to sport fish. I have found reef fishing this has more bearing for myself along with the tide changes are the best bite times.

Sorry Tugger would you mind clarifying your last sentence? Cheers, Kelvin.

Oh yeah that makes sense - cheers Jords/Tugger. Seeing as though the post is about possible reasons for lack of success on the weekend I'm assuming I'm not hijacking the thread by asking Tugger (or anyone else) the following: is one or two days after the full moon normally good/bad?

Cheers,

Kelvin.

Yeah think I've heard the same Jords - just wanted confirmation. I'm the same mate - don't get out enough to compare although getting out more regularly now. Prob should start some sort of a diary to keep track of these things. Certainly won't put in a similar session to Sat nights effort in future if I do hear that that particular moon phase is unfavourable. ALOT of very cold hours for absolutely no reward at all. Having said that another bloke (Haines 490 ...) caught 4 or 5 so I guess that's the lottery of fishing.

Dhess and I went to the North reef and Sunshine reefs yesterday, Not a sausage on North reef we were getting a Moderate westerley about 10 to 15 knots and coulndt find a fish on the sounder, we then went to sunshine reef with a low westerley and only caught 3 undersized squire,

Kelvin in particular the first qauter of the moon is no good and the best times are the 3 to 4 days leading up to the new and full moons then it tapers off after that. Strong northerly winds shut fish down also IMO

Cheers Mark. Yeah have heard northerly winds are no good. Is that mainly for Moreton Bay or Qld/Oz wide? When you say the first quarter of the moon is this after the new moon (ie. the period going from no moon (new) to 1/4 full?

Interesting theory mate - very much looking forward to the replies. Was also one or two days after the full moon - any idea if this is normally good/bad? I went out to Mud and fished what seemed like good structure from about 2:30am onwards and didn't catch one single fish using fresh green prawns, pillies and had a live mullet out which remained untouched.

I got that 68 cm snapper and 3 50cm snapper from 6:30 - 8:45am on that day.

yes mate the next phase after the new moon

Kelvin in particular the first qauter of the moon is no good and the best times are the 3 to 4 days leading up to the new and full moons then it tapers off after that. Strong northerly winds shut fish down also IMO

Cheers Mark. Yeah have heard northerly winds are no good. Is that mainly for Moreton Bay or Qld/Oz wide? When you say the first quarter of the moon is this after the new moon (ie. the period going from no moon (new) to 1/4 full?

I'm actually in the slow process of developing an online log book http://www.anglerarchive.com/ to log diary entries with locations (grab moon phases, tide times, weather, humidity etc) and log it with your catches. Also plan to develop an app for Android / iPhone to allow mobile logging using your mobile GPS.

It's far more complex than I explained it- as it will have favourites weather widgets etc, log in, shows your 5 favourite locations for fishing with weather forecasts and current conditions. Tackle inventories etc so you can link catches to lures/bait. Kind of build up your own database of successful times @ locations using certain lures/bait.

I could go on and on about the benefits to yourself and hopefully to the fisheries research.

But! It's a slow process- spending 8-10 hours a day at work then going home to do more work is tough. So I don't expect it to be up in the next few months, hoping for in the new year.

I got that 68 cm snapper and 3 50cm snapper from 6:30 - 8:45am on that day.

Yeah I was thinking about that (not that I'm jealous or anything ......) when I started replying but I just can't see how I could have fished all that time on decent structure for not even one undersized squire, grassie or SOMETHING!!!! Undoubtedly even when conditions/tides/moon phases/currents etc aren't favourable fish still get caught, but overriding this I'm really interested to learn when fishing is generally favourable/unfavourable.

Still won't stop me going for a fish if I only have a small window of opportunity but will at least guide when I plan to go out.

Archived