Bris river jew 19/06/11

sehrguht

Went out late (8am) on sunday morning and picked up one big mullet and a lot of herring for some livies, popped my head out to see if there were any winter whiting biting until high tide peaked, bitten off some something decent on 6lb leader, unlucky...

Came back into the river mouth around 12 and hung around a nice drop off that has produced a 120cm threadfin for me in the past, dropped a live mullet and a live herring down, half an hour later after just after i finish eating some mud cake i hear zzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, waited about 40seconds once the fish had really started the reel screaming and engaged the reel, about 5 decent runs later and an 83cm jew pops it head up, defeated.

Pretty chuffed with it, glad i didn't fight it any harder as a 6/0 gamakatsu octopus circle was half way to straight...

About an hour after that decided to head home, river was very calm and a good cruise back to the ramp.

post-5575-14459863783_thumb.jpg

a decent upgrade on my PB which was 66cm, going to get out for some night time soft vibes and livies sessions once im back from the whitsundays.

Oh yeah had another run half hour after the jew but it was only small and it wrapped around the other line and then dropped the hook, could have been anything.

40lb power pro braid and 40lb tough trace leader, i didnt think i was particularly rough on it though i did tighten the drag up to around 4 or 5kg, the fish put up a pretty good account of itself one a few times though running very hard.

it was the octopus circle which might be thinner than a regular circle hook?

Pretty chuffed with it, glad i didn't fight it any harder as a 6/0 gamakatsu octopus circle was half way to straight...

[attachment=35978]IMG_0619.JPG[/attachment]

Nice Jewie mate :)

you need to change your hook-brand though ... If a 6/0 hook is nearly straight from a 83cm Jewie then it is a rubbish hook IMHO. I use 6/o suicides from K-mart (yes, the cheap RED Jarvis Walker ones) and have NEVER straightened one on any fish before, my profile pic is putting FULL PRESSURE on a blacktip whaler on Fraser last yr, and the hook still went on to hook 3 x 75cm School Jew that night.

Personally I do not rate Gama's at all.

yeah, let me rephrase :

" I do not rate the octopus circle hook from Gama "

I have some 10/0 Gammas for big Jew baits that seem pretty solid.

I buy the JW 6/0 suicide 100pack for $13.

OK , going offshore they won't last on GTs, Cobias, Big snapper etc .... but I am a surf fisho who targets Jew / Tailor and they are perfect for that purpose.

Also ensure I change the hook after every 2nd or 3rd session (at 13c per hook its a good deal) to ensure no rust/fatigue issues.

BTW I use 40lb mainline, 80lb mono leader with 80lb steel trace as standard on my surf rig.

Nice Jew mate, was a lovely day to be out too.

I think it may just be the octopuc circle that was the problem as they are as you say a lot lighter gauge than the regular circles.

I use Gama hooks in a variety of shapes and sizes as well as mustads and owners and they all have their uses.

Archived