ok next question, tld still stiff to wind

ok their is no corrosion on any bearings or gears.

before i pulled it apart it was quite stiff to wind.

i have serviced many reels over the years but have never come across this.

can anyone shine a light on this as 1 of my tld25's have done it and a tld30 2 speed also.

thanks heaps kurt

i had the same problem a few weeks ago with my 2500 symetre reel ?? It was stiff to wind and same deal , was all pulled apart and totally regreased / oiled but it was still stiff .

a few runs from a 60cm flattie seemed to sort it out somehow ??

I actually thought the reel had shit itself when it freed up and wound like normal again :P

Perhaps run the dog on it again and see if they can free it up abit . Put a cardboard fin on its back for a real fishing experience ;)

Im guessing some gear or spline wasn't meshing properly and re seated itself with the drag running under pressure for 4 odd 20 - 30 mtr runs from the flattie

sounds like the main bearing, or you have put the drag back together out of sequence , lever drag sequence?? or your dog has got revenge and pissed on them while you not watching :silly: :lol::lol:

lever drag sequence..... please explain

sounds like when you put it back together you put the lever drag together at full drag even though lever in free spool position?? i had a similar thing on a lever drag reel, i had put the drag back together the wrong way(sequence)lol trying to remember how i put it back together to stop the stiff winding lol i know it was some washer metal thing in the drag area :huh::lol::lol: think it was the way the tension knob on thhe lever had to be all the way out when putting back together or was it all the way in??? oh crap just confusing myself and you now :lol::lol:

i had the same problem a few weeks ago with my 2500 symetre reel ?? It was stiff to wind and same deal , was all pulled apart and totally regreased / oiled but it was still stiff .

a few runs from a 60cm flattie seemed to sort it out somehow ??

I actually thought the reel had shit itself when it freed up and wound like normal again :P

Perhaps run the dog on it again and see if they can free it up abit . Put a cardboard fin on its back for a real fishing experience ;)

Im guessing some gear or spline wasn't meshing properly and re seated itself with the drag running under pressure for 4 odd 20 - 30 mtr runs from the flattie

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.lolololololololololol....thats hell funny

• 9 years later...
On 21/06/2011 at 12:53 PM, madmullet said:

ok their is no corrosion on any bearings or gears.

before i pulled it apart it was quite stiff to wind.

i have serviced many reels over the years but have never come across this.

can anyone shine a light on this as 1 of my tld25's have done it and a tld30 2 speed also.

thanks heaps kurt

Hi did anyone ever get to the bottom of this 

got a rod 50 doing the same thing hard to wind with the more drag you put on it

cheers perry

Did the TLD reel have the problem before you pulled it apart and reassembled it or was that the reason you pulled it apart in the first place. If it was stiff only after you reassembled it then most likely you didn't put it back together the right way. Lever drags reel need to have the drag  lever backed off before you increase the drag via the drag knob, apparently you can damage the lever setup if you don't do it that way and tighten the drag knob without putting the lever back to free spool.

Most lower end lever drag reels don't have thrust bearings in them, so if too much drag pressure was used over the life of the reel, the bearings can stuff up and would need replacing. The bearings in those reels are radial type so the force on them is okay if perpendicular to the spools axle (as in same direction as the line pull). However lever drags apply a force from the side (axial load) so they can wear out the normal bearing races prematurely, so the more force the greater the wear and stiffness, and they become stiff and jerky. That is why the better lever drag reel have thrust bearings incorparated in them.

My guess is that it is incorrectly put back or you need to replace some bearings.