Letter of cocern RE illegal fishing practices

nathanquigley

hi Nathan - I was talking about the social media like facebook that may be high jacked. I was concerned that like the original post it easy to loose credibility if Race is brought into the argument whether or not this is correct.

I was talking to the neighbors that are high up in the public service and we were trying to work out how to get this going with the state government. I know this is putting all your eggs in one basket but they did suggest to contact Campbell Newman's office as it may get some enthusiastic ears at present. I am in his electorate and am happy to go along to any meetings if they occur.

As you said it is important to go along with a definitive proposal rather than emotive arguments.

Today , one of my work mates told me about about fishing in this location that said no fishing, he thought it was ok because there were like 100 other people fishing there, (i think he was confused).

He also told me that the fisheries did a raid on that location on the w/end and fined alot of people, my work mate escaped and he said that he was not a big time fisher so it should not matter, so i told him that he needs to becarefull on were he fishes because if the dept see's him he will get fined, I also emailed him the links to the dpi site of what is legal and whats not legal, i also told him that next time he tells me i will let the fisheries know about him as he now knows the regs, I also told him that the fisheries wont care if he only has 1 fish, they will hit him very hard in the pocket.

He has said now that he knows about the regs, he wont be foolish to follow everyone else, infuture he will read the regs and obey them.

If you know people in your workplace that likes to do the occasional fish, let them know about the dpi site and how much a fine could be, I guess you can call it education that will eventually spred, also those fishing shows, if they can somehow have the regs in the credits , thats going to help also.

Continuing my research at the moment. A former politician for environmental matters in Britian has criticised australian recreational fishing policies and regulations, I read an article by him which seems to express all the converns we have voiced here and more. He is quite influential so I'm currently in the process of attempting to contact him.

Other than that, I'll continue drafting the letter incorporating all the concerns and some practical suggestions expressed here, and post it up for critical review. Might be a few weeks before I am at that stage, at least. Once thats done we can go about collecting signatures for the letter and discuss launching an official e-petition if we feel we have enough support.

Cheers,

Nathan

i would like to see a fishing licenses system put in place with a no fee system but if you fish with no license imediate removal of all equitment including vehicle and then a subsequant search of premises by authorities for illegal amounts of fish etc also change bag limits to in poseion so no stock piling is allowed .

maybe a sugestion that officers are acompanied by police in places like pumping jetty so that the officers dont feel intimidated "or give them bazoocas"

i fished paid lakes in england and was more than happy to pay to fish an area with some stocking , high fish managment policy , a clean and tidy enviroment no rubbish , no louts as they are soon kicked out.

i am sure an ad campaig snd sensible policing and maybe a amnesty period would be al that is needed to implement some of the ideas that every one has come up with

jason

I don't have a problem with paying for a license as I fish quite regularly but there are alot of people that may only fish 1,2 or 3 times a year which it will affect there decision of whether it is worth it to bother with fishing at all. I know in NSW you can get a day license but that is still a pain in the b hind to bother. I think all that would happen is the people who do fish responsibly would get a license and the wrong doers will continue to do their thing without a license anyway. Even if they put on more fisheries officers with the funds from the licensing, they would make very little impact in my opinion.

I am all for the bad practices being addressed but I dont think licensing is part of the solution. IMO

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone, just letting you know I've been working when I can on drafting this letter. Been very busy, but managed to get a draft going over the past few days. Here is a snipet-

This correspondence has been initiated with the aim of providing the local government and appropriate authorities with a unified expression of concern from recreational fishermen within the local Brisbane and greater Queensland region. The supporting signatures, gathered from within various recreational fishing clubs, bodies, communities, business, and from amongst the general populace, demonstrate a solidarity regarding the issues discussed within this letter, and calls for the attention and consideration of the measures suggested herein by the appropriate authorities and relevant members of parliament.

The National Recreational Fishing Policy provided by the Australian Government outlines a commitment to the protection, rejuvenation and enhancement of recreational fishing within Australia. Indeed, every signature appended to this correspondence represents the willingness of the fishing community to work actively and progressively with the federal, state and territory governments for the betterment of our marine waterways, coastlines and marine life.

It is our assertion that many of the goals and directions provided within this national policy are either only partially met, or not met at all, within Queensland waterways and coastlines. The severity of these issues are such that members of the community have decided to engage in this measure of political activism in order to bring attention to the community concern and demand for action on the issues outlined below.

After outlining the problems discussed: exceeding bag limits, keeping undersized fish, lack of fisheries enforcement, lack of severity in regard to punishment for wrongdoing, lack of coordinated cooperation and dialouge between saltwater/freshwater fishermen and the goverment etc, I plan on then presenting the measures discussed in this topic and in the previous sand pumping topic eg more fisheries officers, more signage, higher penalties, community awareness programs, possibly fishing license introduction, increased funding, establishment of a representative communicative body of recretional fisherment to engage in dialouge with the goverment and local authorities etc.

Throughout I plan to relate each issue and measure suggested to the goals of the NRFP- and therefore make it difficult for the letter to be disregarded, as doing so would (hopefully) appear as a flippant disregard for the federal goverments direction and policy on recreational fishing.

Anyway, will get back to you with the rest of the draft in time, then will open it to comments and editing etc

cheers,

nate

Archived