New Snapper Regs from today 2011

ellicat

The 6 week ban wil not be repeated again either... they should have put the bag limit up a couple i rekkon, because some people take an extra one or 2 to get their worth out of the days boating.... then they think "well im 2 over the limit anyway, i may as well take an extra ten" let the blokes have a couple more and put an upper limit on them

Seriously it's 4 snapper per person you guys are kidding me if theres 3 of you in the that's 12 snapper if you take anymore then that yous are a joke the reason they did the ban was to try and build stocks up for the future then you get people like use that take every fish you can I fish bay every week catch loads of snapper and only 2-4 a trip feeds all my family you'd are seriously missing the point if you have your bag go catch something else if your not good enough to catch anything else go home there won't be any fish left if use had your ways

i dont agree with it either, 4 is plenty for me... just sayin it may take a diffrent approach otherwise you start getting situations like the sand pumping jetty where people have no regard for the law because they dont agree with it. your in the bay fishing dragons, you think the blokes that go way offshore are happy with 4 snapper each when they pay for all that fuel and gear. I wonder why theyre not imposing the ban this year...

I Also fish out wide of godly as well most off us that know what where doing can catch other species and after catching limit of snapper mate if you go out wide and pay for fuel that's all good and well but most off them still won't catch there limit anyways and if they do that's plenty for a feed and if there fishing the deep they will get more other species then they do snapper the ban should of been made to 3 months like they do ever where else SA Perth Melbourne it works and where lucky up here cause of the variety of fish we can catch with diffent technique puts some pressure on charters to actually take people to place where they can catch good fish instead of lucky dip like they do at moment

No date set as yet when it will start.

No change for commercial snapper fishing - WHAT A CROCK. They can keep as many 70+ as they want to, so the breeders are gone. As usual rules set against recreationals.

More fish are consumed by non-fishermen, remember that when you post comments

a feed really depends on the size of your family .

now i will live by the rules in hope that they know WTF they are doing and the fish stocks get better or are at least preserved .

would be cheaper to buy bassa form the super market ,than own a boat and go fishing .but not the quality of fresh seafood and the fun of catching it

No date set as yet when it will start.

No change for commercial snapper fishing - WHAT A CROCK. They can keep as many 70+ as they want to, so the breeders are gone. As usual rules set against recreationals.

More fish are consumed by non-fishermen, remember that when you post comments

By the time snapper are legal (35cm) they have already spawned twice (or at least had the chance to).

In our corner of the World rec fishos fishing offshore and abiding by the current regs have no effect on snapper stocks. There aren't enough of them and there aren't enough weather friendly days. You'd have to be imagining there's only 1000 big snapper out there otherwise. Ridiculous.

Listening to Nugget this arvo and he said the charter boys have to abide the rec fish regs - so 4 snapper per person on board.

Seriously it's 4 snapper per person you guys are kidding me if theres 3 of you in the that's 12 snapper if you take anymore then that yous are a joke the reason they did the ban was to try and build stocks up for the future then you get people like use that take every fish you can I fish bay every week catch loads of snapper and only 2-4 a trip feeds all my family you'd are seriously missing the point if you have your bag go catch something else if your not good enough to catch anything else go home there won't be any fish left if use had your ways

Who are you talking about when you say "yous" ?

No-one had said it was a bad thing :blink:

I think you'll find you are doing more damage (under your ideas of damage) by fishing so many so often. Most here are lucky to get out and into a bag limit more than once a month, if that !

The ban was a crock of sh!t though. Foolish to think otherwise.

Episode 1.. Endangered Pink Bream..6 week shut out,1 of 4/5 options must be picked,yelling and screaming reactions over permit fee.(Every body`s Unhappy)

Episode 2.. White knight Wallace appears,permit fee dropped(Everyones Cheers) White Knight will personally meet with(personally selected) stake holders,says there will be further consultations with all stake holders for feed back before a decision is made (More Cheering) further public consultation meetings cancelled. (WT???)

Episode 3.. Announcement of changes..(When did the opportunity for feed back from all stake holders,before the announcement,happen) Bag limit reduced from 5 to 4. 1 over 70cm in bag limit. Minimum size left at 35cm. (Most People Cheer)…for rec fishos` only (WT??? they said these pink bream are endangered something had to be done)

Episode 4.. State Election

Episode 5.. Depending on the ending of Episode 4.

Stayed tuned folks, me thinks it may not be cheering time... just Yet…

hi dragons - This has gone the same way as the earlier thread here about the snapper closed season. You seem to have missed the point of all the people posting here. Everybody prior to your post where saying that they did not have an issue to the new Regs. You get on and straight away start telling everybody that they are somehow wrong. Also it seems that the only way that you can have a debate with someone is to have a go at them and tell everybody how good you are at it and what sort of expert you are. I tried very hard to stay out of this thread but I have read enough of your unintelligible writing so far and am wondering if everybody has also had enough of it.

The usual john fisherman will not have a problem with these new regs and they do not impact fish stocks however a person like yourself if we can believe how expert you are takes more than their fair share and impacts the numbers way more than most. Maybe they should introduce a yearly quota for experts such as yourself so that the fish stocks are not impacted. Maybe 10 fish per year??? Why should someone like yourself take more than others. Some food for thought there Dargons as you construct your next unintelligible post.

Anyone keen on starting a Rec Fishos Union.. it does seem that unless you have a union and / or a united voice its hard to be heard. I know Rec Fishos seem to really cop the brunt of most changes that happen. I agree 100% its not us that eats the majority, but all things told we pay much more for the fish we do take and eat!

Im pleased to hear charter boats have the same restrictions.. Its still fantastic, If I went on a charter and came back with 4 snapper Id be happy as Lary.

Comercial fishos... well what can you say.. The trend is world wide, we take more fish than is sustainable, I dont know about everyone else but it seems like small mindedness to me, that rec fishos have to keep on top of the next change and knee jerk reaction.

Why dont we use the knowledge thats out there and make a real choice rather than a political choice.

I know when they looked at the green zones for the bay people offered to pay for independant research and some really good research was done, but at the end of the day it wasnt listened to.

Im not sure what the answer is but I dont have much faith in the system to protect fishing stocks.

***Admin Warning***

Please all members do not at any stage whilst participating on this site make personal attacks or derogatory remarks towards any fellow members

This thread has got way off topic and has been cleaned up accordingly. Everyone behave themselves please!

If you are not familiar with our site Terms of Use - please read them. This site aims to be friendly and open to all users!

self dealing with people that have no idea

You guys seriously wouldn't have clue between use [sic] at all I think cause you might go fishing once a month you know what your talking about I do this and show people how to catch snapper on plastics and other fish

One final note, there are over 8250 members on this site presently so by making a statement of 'dealing with people that have no idea' and 'you guys wouldn't have a clue' are quite ludicrous statements. There are members of all levels of expertise and knowledge - thats the joy of the site, if someone knows more in one area they can share and help out others in another area so that members can learn and be taught.

I find it hard for anyone to pass judgement on other members without knowing them personally or their level of expertise intimately and so that is why we do not allow personal remarks on this site. If everyone was an expert why would anyone need a community? other than to just brag and enlarge your ego which is not what the AFO spirit is about

How many snapper are there in Moreton Bay, its river systems, and the offshore waters from Cooloongatta to Double Island Point ?

How many of them are 70cm and over ?

How many are under 35cm ?

How many are caught and kept within those size brackets each day on average ?

How many are caught by sheeps and how many by expert snapper fishermen ?

Before the conversation starts on what to do to fix a problem it is necessary to not just ask, but answer some questions to establish there is actually a problem. To say, without some indisputable evidence, that there is a problem and then put up suggestions to fix it is merely a tactic to get to a predetermined end which the average punter may not be aware. In the commercial world this method is referred to as deceptive and misleading conduct and is illegal. When done by governments it is rarely contested nor sometimes even recognised.

Gad was alluding to this in his earlier post.

The new regs commence on 1 September 2011. I have no problem with the in possession being reduced to 4 but seriously only 1 over 70cm (4kg) is a joke especially to all those 0ffshore snapper fishos who fish the wider reefs north of Mooloolaba to Sandy Cape where 70+cm snapper are the norm. The main problem areas close inshore reefs are going to be crowded after September 1.

Cheers

Barry

Firstly we do need some proof that there is a need for additional protection for snapper and that this isn't an incremental ban all fishing thing

I would like to see the size limits for the commercial sector raised, maybe to 45 over 5 years.

would mean all the small pickers would be legal size.

also reckon that high numbers of sharks in estuaries would be putting downward pressure on the fish stocks.

That said I don't see the new limits as too much of an issue

Archived