Boggy Creek June Wrap Up

Caffrey

Hey there AFO'ers, just got back from my latest little run down to Boggy Creek and thought I'd give a wrap up of my exploits for the month of June. I've managed to get over there about 4-5 times this month as it's pretty close to home (sorta), and I guess it's become my regular river stomping grounds for day fishing...

So I started the month off as usual flicking in servo prawns on 1/0's with light sinkers, generally starting up by the access bridge and as the tide moves out heading down to the rocky outcrop where the vacant houses begin. I landed some Bream by the bridge and whiting by the houses, nothing to get too excited by, although I believe this first session was when I was marked for life by the whiting that evacuated itself on me lolz pic to follow.

Maybe third trip out I started to use soft placcies some more, GULP minnows 3" in pepper prawn and errrr something else, much the same as the last few sessions but started feeling much better about s/p's.

About two weeks ago I went out with Nathan Quigley from round these parts, and we made it a plastics session. Second cast in Nath lands a 40cm and something, flathead with a berkely powerbait hollow belly (I had no luck with them all day), but did manage my fist official fish on pepper prawn GULP - little whiting going about 20cm.

Today I went out at about 7am with the tide just turning it seemed, with servo prawns as I was too busy the night before to get any plastics, I'd completely run out since there is something that tends to just bite them clean in half in those waters (crabs, toads?) It was a slow start but after about 2 hours, of nibbles, changing weights, and catching snags I felt a nudge that didn't feel familiar at all, I gave the bait a little stir just out of curiosity and got completely smacked! The life went out of it whatever it was for a while and I thought I'd miss timed my hook up but as I was reeling in about 4 meters from the rocks it takes off again, I got a quick glimpse and called it for a whiting the size of which I hadn't seen before. About 30 seconds later after another short run (I'm on light gear) I landed my first Garfish (?) with a pretty messy servo prawn, nasty teeth on the bugger, I'd no ruler but he stretched across my blood board completely, sweet. Went quite again and soon to me packing it in, I threw in the tiniest of servo prawns I had left and after a really really good struggle landed a fat Bream calling for about 28cm, really good fight regardless. Left for the day feeling rather good about nasty old Boggy Creek.

It's all been rather same over the month, and it makes good sense, mostly all the same time of day, similar bait options, Bream, Whiting, Flathead, and now Gar, I guess that's why I go there, there are fish to be caught and I feel pretty comfortable there, even though it's not really what you would call picturesque. Speaking of pictures...

post-9257-14459864028_thumb.jpg

post-9257-144598640292_thumb.jpg

post-9257-144598640302_thumb.jpg

Marked for life...

post-9257-144598640312_thumb.jpg

post-9257-144598640318_thumb.jpg

post-9257-144598640324_thumb.jpg

post-9257-14459864033_thumb.jpg

post-9257-144598640336_thumb.jpg

Fun fun fun fun

post-9257-144598640348_thumb.jpg

Cheers for reading,

Alex.

good stuff mate those things biting ur plastics in half either pike or tailor and that garfish is actually a pike mate they make great strip bait so could save yourself some money in prawns anywaya good stuff and keep at it if ur plastics keep getting bit in hald maybe change to a hrdbody or blade

haha, dirty old slimy pike..we must have caught 30 of them at bribie last week before we finally nailed some flatties. Anyway Boggy was firing at the start of the month. One arvo me and Alfish got about 12 in and hour and a half. Al also dropped one at the bank that would have gone over 70cm!! It had a head like a shovel!! Oh and they are toadies bities your tails off.

Archived