False Floor Parts

shivvy09

Hey guys,

I was wondering where I can find marine ply, glues, carpets and anything to do with a false floor for a 14ft tinny. Its not going to be a deep false floor just a low profile so that you can stand in without too much wobbling! I was thinking Bunnings but are there any other places?!?!? Thanks guys

Yeah Bunnings usually stock it mate & marine carpet as well. But give the particular store your heading to a call first to avoid getting there for no cigar. :( I still recommend sealing the timber with a couple of coats of paint or sealent (including edges) before carpeting though regardless and it will last a lifetime. :) Cheers, Joycey.

Yeah Bunnings usually stock it mate & marine carpet as well. But give the particular store your heading to a call first to avoid getting there for no cigar. :( I still recommend sealing the timber with a couple of coats of paint or sealent (including edges) before carpeting though regardless and it will last a lifetime. :) Cheers, Joycey.

Thanks for the tip! Yeah I am getting the old neighbour next door to help! He's bit of a handy man been using other peoples pics as a template!!!

Anyone know how to create more stability ?

Plenty of people don't bother with marine ply, just properly seal the stuff they have at bunnings and it will last ss long, and cost a third of the price. Take lots of pics. I am thinking of changing mine around and would love to see how you did it! Good luck!

Best thing to get is just to get an off cut from a marine ply wood shot( the ply man).. and then go to whitworths and you should find everything you need to finish the mission there.. Paint, Carpet, Hindges and pretty much everything.. i just finshed my casting deck.. just about to write a report. if you need some help/tips just ask :)''

Cherrs

James

Best thing to get is just to get an off cut from a marine ply wood shot( the ply man).. and then go to whitworths and you should find everything you need to finish the mission there.. Paint, Carpet, Hindges and pretty much everything.. i just finshed my casting deck.. just about to write a report. if you need some help/tips just ask :)''

Cherrs

James

Thanks! Defiantly going to take some pics but because this is going to be a low level floor aka no storage areas its not going to be magnificent neither less will take a lot of pics step by step before and after not mane people have the before and after steps :o thanks guys !!!

G'day mate, I did mine a few months ago (still haven't finished the casting deck though - my job for these holidays!!). Anyway, I got my stuff from Bunnings and seems OK. I just used normal ply and sealed it a few times so up to you if you do that or pay the extra for marine ply. That form ply is certainly solid but also from memory weighs considerably more so take that into account if you are looking at it.

I think it was Nadders who mentioned a great idea - unfortunately it was after I had done mine - which was instead of gluing the carpet and stapling underneath, just have velcro tabs underneath to secure it. Reasoning being that when you stand on it it is going to stay in place anyway, and then you can just pull it off, wash it and put it on again. Certainly seemed a great idea in theory and I think I'd do that next time (which I'm hoping won't be for many years!!!!).

Took photos of my job as it unfolded so will write up a report once it's all done.

Good luck.

Btw its a 4.5 Clark 1986 Model with a 1996 25Hp Johnson (least I think it is)..Haha it is approx 1.4m wide

post-9394-144598641436_thumb.jpg

post-9394-144598641443_thumb.jpg

post-9394-144598641447_thumb.jpg

Any help with doing it will be appreciated!! I am going to take the dirty stickers off and MAYBE MAYBE give it a good paint any suggestions?

>http://www.australianfishing.com.au/forum/5-boating/315817-new-floorboards-need-helpadvice

/>http://www.australianfishing.com.au/forum/5-boating/220321-my-boat-fitout

Hope it helps.

Was wondering is my hull similar to those in the pics...I am just trying to get an idea of stability with how high i go on the flooring. Like I can go higher but how much stability will be lost! Trying to keep the center of gravity as low as possible...but would also like to have some leg room! Any idea mate thanks for the links!

Ok hope this makes sense but this is what i personally would do

White out line is where the outline of the ply sheet needs to go , cut the ply out around the brace ribs on the sides ( leave enough gap for when ply is covered with carpet )

The brown line up the keel line is a piece of wood that's thickness would be determined by how high the plywood is off the keel line brace ribs ( short yellow lines ) . these will probably vary on each brace rib so pick the biggest gap and either plane it down to level the floor or cut individual pieces to match the gaps .

a few stainless screws through the plywood floor into the keel line wood ( brown line ) will create your false floor full length of the boat . Cut all the bits and pre drill the screw holes . Coat everything with sealer / paint etc . carpet over the ply and round the sides then screw the whole she-bang together and drop it into place :)

its easy to lift up one side and lean it on one gunwale to air out the bottom of the tinny after washing it etc

this is for a lift in / out false floor that has no screws into any part of the boat itself , the carpet on the edges of the ply and around the bracing should hold in in place well enough .

I have modifided your pic in my top dollar photo editing program ;)

post-2518-144598642148_thumb.jpg

hmmm i was thinking.. you don;t really need a fuse floor.. perhapes just some carpet over the top would do the trick..

cheers.

Why do you say that mate =X?

i was thinking.. alot easier nad cheaper.. and i did that on the floor on my tinny and it does the job.. i wanted to do the same as you.. but thought ill put carpet on it first.. and yeah it's fine..

hmmm i was thinking.. you don;t really need a fuse floor.. perhapes just some carpet over the top would do the trick..

cheers.

i was thinking.. alot easier nad cheaper.. and i did that on the floor on my tinny and it does the job.. i wanted to do the same as you.. but thought ill put carpet on it first.. and yeah it's fine..

it may be fine now but wet carpet on the floor will do the bottom of your boat no good in the long run , mouldy carpet and chance of the aluminum pitting and oxidizing from constant moisture not to mention the wet dog smell if it isn't dried properly

Ok hope this makes sense but this is what i personally would do

White out line is where the outline of the ply sheet needs to go , cut the ply out around the brace ribs on the sides ( leave enough gap for when ply is covered with carpet )

The brown line up the keel line is a piece of wood that's thickness would be determined by how high the plywood is off the keel line brace ribs ( short yellow lines ) . these will probably vary on each brace rib so pick the biggest gap and either plane it down to level the floor or cut individual pieces to match the gaps .

a few stainless screws through the plywood floor into the keel line wood ( brown line ) will create your false floor full length of the boat . Cut all the bits and pre drill the screw holes . Coat everything with sealer / paint etc . carpet over the ply and round the sides then screw the whole she-bang together and drop it into place :)

its easy to lift up one side and lean it on one gunwale to air out the bottom of the tinny after washing it etc

this is for a lift in / out false floor that has no screws into any part of the boat itself , the carpet on the edges of the ply and around the bracing should hold in in place well enough .

I have modifided your pic in my top dollar photo editing program ;)

[attachment=36375]TinnieInside.jpg[/attachment]

Thanks!!!! How High do you rckon I should go its about 1.4m deep or 1.2 I can't remember!!! I am thinking of stability here...aswell how do i fix the wood bit in the middle without destroying the boat :o? Sorry im a noob at construction!!! the next door neighbour is a 80y.o tradey he's going to give me a hand!! Thanks for the help

cheers.

Yeah I thought about that option but then I still have the rounded hull and the carpet will be damp directly on the aluminimum !

cheers.

cheers.

Yeah I thought about that option but then I still have the rounded hull and the carpet will be damp

directly on the aluminimum !

arrrhh what cha mean?

How?

do you cast net?

Thanks!!!! How High do you rckon I should go its about 1.4m deep or 1.2 I can't remember!!! I am thinking of stability here...aswell how do i fix the wood bit in the middle without destroying the boat :o? Sorry im a noob at construction!!! the next door neighbour is a 80y.o tradey he's going to give me a hand!! Thanks for the help

if its done as a false floor , the height will be where the side of your boat meet the curve of the hull .

the wood bit down the middle is attached only to the bottom of the ply by screws so it only sits ontop of the brace ribs . No screws will be needed into the hull or sides of the boat . it will stop it flexing in the middle when you walk on it .

SEE BELOW

post-2518-144598642154_thumb.jpg

if its done as a false floor , the height will be where the side of your boat meet the curve of the hull .

the wood bit down the middle is attached only to the bottom of the ply by screws so it only sits ontop of the brace ribs . No screws will be needed into the hull or sides of the boat . it will stop it flexing in the middle when you walk on it .

SEE BELOW

[attachment=36376]AWESOMESKILLS.jpg[/attachment]

NICE picture man!! thanks for the help so with the bracing ribs how do you rckon i fit them in? do I need to make them fixtures or just put them in via glue ???and...I am thinking of making the skeleton out of wood and treating it. trying to stay away from any metal

cheers.

Yeah I thought about that option but then I still have the rounded hull and the carpet will be damp

directly on the aluminimum !

arrrhh what cha mean?

How?

do you cast net?

no but no boat is completely dry , either spray from chop , rain, getting in and out with wet feet / shoes . All this will make the carpet wet and even though it may fell dry on top , the carpet will be damp against the hull and will cause issues later on . Aluminium oxidizes ( the rust version of aluminium ) and gets tiny pin size holes that will lead to leaks or a crack in the hull .

NICE picture man!! thanks for the help so with the bracing ribs how do you rckon i fit them in? do I need to make them fixtures or just put them in via glue ???and...I am thinking of making the skeleton out of wood and treating it. trying to stay away from any metal

the bracing ribs are already in you boat along the floor, they keep the sides from flexing and folding in

all you need to do is use the wood and ply to make the floor and drop it in on top of the brace ribs , no screws into the boat at all

post-2518-144598642163_thumb.jpg

LOL! Shows I know nothing...Haha oh gawd, your going to see this boat sinking on the news...:( so i lie the structure across the bracing so it doesnt flex with the brown line(wood) to create stability and no flex when standing??

Exactly champ , it will stop it from sinking in the middle when you stand on it , will make standing and walking round the boat safer .

Good luck with it all , post up any issues as the people on here are more than willing to answer any questions you may have

If with Billythekid's design, and dont want it to be removable, I would just put some Sikaflex anywhere the ply is on the hull to stop annoying vibrating sounds. Wont matter on the sides if the carpet wraps around, just along the keel line.

Archived