Batteries

johnsonMAN

Hi, im just wondering what size battery i would need to power a VHF Radio and a Live Bait

Aerator. Im wondering where is the best place to buy these on the Northside and What brand and size is best for the above uses?

Thanks

PS. What price would i be looking at for a battery that does the above.

You need to check on the amps drawn for the radio, how long your going to want to use it before recharging the battery, same with the life Aerator, how many amps it draws and how long your going to run it for.

They should both draw stuff all power, but if its going to be needed for a week fishing trip, your going to need a bigger battery than if its only for day trips.

Thanks, It will just be day trips, with the occasional holiday for about 5 days, The radio will just be a basic VHF that will be used for weather and mainly safety. The aerator will just be a basic one.

Thanks any ideas on Price or Brands?

This is what i want
/>http://www.gme.net.au/marine/transceivers/gx600.php

or this
/>http://www.shopping.com/xPC-Cobra_Cobra_Dual_Watch_VHF_Marine_Radio

Post edited by: johnsonMAN, at: 2007/06/11 19:14

Don't know if I am best to advise but I recently I have purchased 3 batteries for 2 different uses.

I upgraded my cranking battery to an oversized one so I could run some extra stuff and now I carry the old one as a spare. IE I have a 60hp but I got a battery rated to 75-125hp.

But more to your point, I picked up 2 x 100 amp hr deep cycle batteries from Battery world. I use these to run my auxcillary stuff like lights, aerators, radio, etc. I also use them for my electric motor in the tinny. I have not been able to flatten them yet.

I paid $350 each I think and they are worth it every cent.

ok, those radios draw much less than 1amp hour on stand by, up to 5amps on transmit. Unless your nickname is \"havachat\" I reckon no need to worry about what the radio draws. The live tank pump / aerators I have seen draw around 1-2 amp hours. Say you go out for a day and a night, and want some juice left in the battery (recommended not to go below 20%), that is 24 hours for a maximum draw of say 3amps per hour, means 75 amp hours for 80% discharge means a minimum battery size of 100amp hours.

If you new exactly what the equipment draws, you can be much more precise.

As Brian said, deep cycle 100 amp hour would certainly do the job. Theoretically you might easily half that if you know for sure the current drain of your equipment. Dont forget Nav lights etc have to added to drain on battery.

If your running a \"surecatch\" aerator in a bucket or old esky, 2 D cell batteries will go 4 or 5 days. A Jarvis Walker 2 speed aerator will go for 4 or 5 hours on one D cell (they really are crap aerators!)

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2007/06/11 20:26

Archived