Mud Island trip

woody1

With the great weather forecast tomorrow I am planning on taking the tinny over to mud. It's our first trip over there so anyone got any tips for finding the good ground out there? plan on drifting around throwing plastics for some snapper and throwing out a slug for some tailor.

Anyone else heading over tomorrow?

mate that will be fine. i have a 3.8m quintex with a 9.9suki with the carbi worked to make it a 15 and i can go from fishermans island to mud, then to harries and back on half a tank...

if youi want to go their watch your wether. it can get very nasty going across to mud. one trip in the big boat we came back and we were coping 2m swell and chop side on, not exactly good for a tiny.

plan your trip carrie an extra 10-20l if you are unsure but i would suggest you take it for a very good long trip so you can work the consumption out. launch at pinkinbar seeing your on the nth side and head towards the gatesway bridge. drive untill you use half a tank and then calculate the distance in mtr when you get home and you will get approx what you can use in a trip.

okay thanks!!!! i sorta know about how far i can go.. i've been from Breaky ck to the Month and driving around the month and back, and it took about 20l.. i should be fine if i think about it, just would hate to run out of fuel.. thanks madmuttet !

cheers James

I have a standard 20(ish) litre tank but took a jerry can aswell, only used about half a tank. Definately pick your weather tho! it was like glass heading over and pretty good on the eastern side, but when we came back around to head home 10-15 knots from the north meant a bit of chop from side on, nothing too bad tho.

My advise would be to see if someone from the site with a bigger boat is heading over at the same time and if it gets too bad you can just follow them back in.

Thanks for the marks Kurt. We ended up drifting the eastern side watching the sounder and poicked up a fair few small squire, just one keeper.

Cant wait to head out there again.

Saturday looks like a good day! i wont be heading out mate, I work wierd hours so am lucky enough to head out through the week when its quiet! but with a good forecast its a sure bet there will be plenty of boats out there if you run into trouble.

Archived