Barra stranded below Awoonga wall

Brian D

A mate told ma about a pile of barra stranded below the wall at Awoonga so I went for a paddle to view for myself

post-118-144598654984_thumb.jpg

On the way up from Pikes Crossing the signs were not good

post-118-144598654992_thumb.jpg

But worst was to come, I found a pool with a couple of hundred of barra not far from death

post-118-144598654999_thumb.jpg

Now don't go getting on your hight horse as there is an action plan to rescue what they can

post-118-144598655006_thumb.jpg

They wise people have blocked the escape and are going to net them tonight for release further down stream

post-118-144598655012_thumb.jpg

Some are in very poor condition so I hope they survive

post-118-144598655019_thumb.jpg

I didn't even feel like throwing a lure at hem they were so sick

post-118-144598655026_thumb.jpg

It is a shame . I would assume that Kurt Hutchby would be across the issue.

There is a similar situation below Lenthalls but they have 2 issues to deal with.

It is a major job to get approval to dredge the river bed to provide a deep water channel and if they could get approval then there is the issue of getting an excavator down to the site.

Cheers

Ray

Yeap it's a bit sad

[attachment=37676]P7270022.JPG[/attachment]

I have heard of a larger school stranded in another section of the river

[attachment=37677]P7270036.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=37678]P7270044.JPG[/attachment]

Wow that big girl in the last photo looks like a whopper!!! Is that a little forktail catfish following underneath it?

:( do you think the remaining barra should be put back in the dam to a familiar surroundings and knowledge of food source? just a thought or is there more risk of infections spreading?
they will have a better chance of healing in the salt mate
its a bit of a way to the salt and if the river aint flowing they wont make it to the salt. agree the salt would be better for healing but sounds like there is the same problem further down from the wall, they would have to be transported to just up stream of benaraby by the sounds of it..

About the oxygen into pool - not worth it in my view.

Moving them a couple of hundred yards to another pool with more water would only be another way to a slow death if it doesn't rain soon. Yes they would be better off but not ideal for long without rain.

Here's a weird bit of info I got today. Apparently all fish have been removed from the pool before but the fish have swum back into it, they must have been swimming back up stream for the winter. Dumb ships. To stop this from happening they have dumped rocks across the creek which has now blocked the way out and in for the fish. So only way out now is either human intervention or heaps of rain.

post-118-144598655137_thumb.jpg

post-118-144598655148_thumb.jpg

post-118-144598655155_thumb.jpg

Oh - the Bernaraby bit - yes the healthy fish are up near the railway bridge but have shut down so lets just leave them for the winter.

There is a weir (Eagle ridge I think) half way between Pikes and Railway has been smashed over in the floods, that is where the fresh water fish are supposed to be stuck. This seams contradictory to the swimming up stream theory so I am not convinced about this report. I might have a look next week if I don't go chasing the mackerel.

Unfortunatly this is the few barra left behind that's couldn't be saved for one reason or another by the very good crew up there doing the salvage, they have removed thousands of big fish out these areas and are already stocking many more, unfortunately they can't save em all so let's focus on the good news of the many thousands they have saved

Cheers

Archived