Niggers, Jews and Chinamen

elops

Are we Aussie fishers racist or just non PC ?

Just got banned from an international fishing forum for using Jew instead of Mulloway/Croaker et al in a thread started by a guy from WA. Was warned awhile ago not to use this but just did it without really thinking. The OP got banned as did a couple of other Aussies. Some pretty nasty comments flowed (being called Hitler the least offensive of them) after which the Aussie crew started listing some other Aussie common names , went downhill fast after that and whole thread was expunged. Funniest thing was that they thought Scotchmans Prick was made up and not a commonly used name for a fish.

I think there just needs to be a better understanding of differences in cultures. I keep thinking about Harry Connick Juniors response on hey hey when a white fella painted his face black. It was slapstick but difference in cultures meant Harry took offence whereas I would think most in Australia wouldn't blink an eyelid.It would be no different to someone saying a caucasion kept undersized fish or other races based on visual observation alone. Sometimes I think we are a world gone crazy.For you to be banned seems to display ignorance by the site involved and being an international forum maybe the mods should have a better understanding of international names differences and let forumites know this so a mountain is not made out of a molehill.

Sorry to hear this has happened to you.

I think we aussies just don't put as much focus on race, race is unimportant for us- we are more interested in an individual's character ie: whether you are a good bloke or not. I have worked with a lot of Americans and they just don't get it because they define themselves so much by their race. I have two mates who are Mexican-Americans and they are really offended by the fact they are classed as being 'white' in Australia, which I find ridiculous; their skin is white so they are white as far as I'm concerned.

They are the ignorant ones and not us aussies as far as I'm concerned. My missus is pacific islander and nobody even notices in australia, whereas overseas everybody stares at us.

Better off not being in that forum I reckon Elops, if they are that ignorant. Different colours/one people.

this has been a particularely tough winter for us aussie fisherman, having been subjected to numerous reports of the offensively named "Australian Salmon" :S

I am not really part of any minority groups so I dont really understand it, but I really think people need to be a bit less sensitive. Its all about the context, if you were using the word to call someone a tightass... I see the problem but the commonly known name of a fish, get over it!

This whole ''Racist'' thing is starting to get out of hand, its starting to get to the point where everyone is crying racism over every little comment made. Myself i take everything with a pinch of salt its like water on a duck's back to me. I have always used the word Jew and Aus just like me being called a Kiwi.

I dont care what colour or race people are, end of the day we all bleed the same colour blood, i respect everyone and never judge until crossed :dry:

I now live in Aus and have been for 5 years, i respect the Australian way & people and find its a great life style and respect there custom & ways.... And we all know that Aus just ''love'' us kiwis living here :dry: :P:lol::lol:

Thats my thoughts anyway ;)

Cheers

Darren

political correctness is such a one sided thing

No more BLACKBOARD its a chalkboard but a whiteboard is still common place

should i be offended as im white ?

Some people should go find more usefull shit to do with their time then changing common language

to make any minority feel more isolated by highlighting it constantly

• 7 years later...

Archived