Outboard motor blown - options?

matsmad

My mid 90s Johnson 90hp v4 failed yesterday due to oil pump failure. The rest of the motor and tilt trim is immaculate. Im thinking about changing the powerhead, so thought id do an upgrade at the same time. Now would a 140hp powerhead fit or is the 115 the largest i can go on the same leg? Just cant afford another motor at this stage. Input would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

i was in ur position earlier this year matt.

i had an 03 johnson 140 (suzuki) that was going to be an expensive rebuild/fix, and at the end of the day i still had a motor that was near on 10 year old and nothing ruins a fishing trip more than worrying about the motor getting u home.

so it was an easy decision for me as i had lost all confidence in the old donk after 3 on water breakdowns, got trade in on the old motor and somehow made my funds work so i could afford the repayments on a new suzuki 140.

it wasnt ideal as i had not planned to buy a new motor within 6 months of owning the boat!

but now i have, i know the complete history of the motor and now know that it will be looked after immaculately.

what is the estimated price of repairing yours?

anyway something to think about...i would go a new donk if u can make it work

cheers, zane

I cant afford a new motor and i dont want to take on any sort of finance either. My mortgage is far big enough already. I have had Johnsons before and find them reliable if maintained properly. Thats why im hoping to find a good tested powerhead and do the swap. Just wanting to know if a 115 or 140hp powerhead will fit on the 90hp leg. cheers ;)

Mate it is worth looking on ebay and for second hand deals, I scored my yammie 02 Saltwater series 150 2 stroke for $5500 with hydraulic steering, it cost me about $1000 for the pre purchase inspection, mobile mechanice to pick it up, service it and fit it to my boat, it is very very reliable and very very powerful, so worth looking for a second hand one too.

/>http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/150hp-johnson-outboard-/220820461949?pt=AU_Boat_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3369ecd97d

Mate it is worth looking on ebay and for second hand deals, I scored my yammie 02 Saltwater series 150 2 stroke for $5500 with hydraulic steering, it cost me about $1000 for the pre purchase inspection, mobile mechanice to pick it up, service it and fit it to my boat, it is very very reliable and very very powerful, so worth looking for a second hand one too.

/>http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/150hp-johnson-outboard-/220820461949?pt=AU_Boat_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3369ecd97d

:cheer: wow thats a good price! Been lookin on ebay but most are ealier models for that sort of price

Archived