I SEE RED!!!!

dansike

o after a cracker sesh on Thursday with a surprise 56cm Jack, as well as a heap of other species, I just HAD to go back and give it another go last night. There was a bit of surface action, which was just small Trevs hitting prawns. The tide was running out pretty quick so we started working plastics all around the bridge to see where if the fish were holding Out deep, close under the lights or underneath the bridge. Andrew was first on with a big run and he dropped a nice Tarpon half way up to the bridge. This happened a couple more times before I kept one hooked up for long enough to get him on the bridge. Nice sized Tarpon about 60 cms, and pretty fat. The tarpon were "thick" and if your plastic didnt make it to the bottom quick enough then they would hit it at the surface every time. We were there to fish for Jacks and Jew so we wanted our placcy's closer to the bottom. The Tarpon were amazing fun though, and one hell of a sportsfish when they get a bit of size!! So we had already caught a few small Jewies and some nice flatties and Trevs along with all the Tarpon and the night was going just great. Then I had a hit Which I thought was another Tarpon, but only for about 3 seconds. My Loomis "buckled" over and I knew this weren't a Tarpon. After a bit of a tense struggle on 8lb I was amazed to see ANOTHER big Jack!!! That's 2 "winter jacks" in 2 days!! That's Unheard of for me. We beached him under the bridge and he went 57cm!! My PB SE QLD Jack!! I took him home for a feed because they taste amazing. I haven't got one in a while either. No photos of the Tarpon etc due to bad phone cameras, sorry. Jack photo taken the next day.

Thanks for reading,

Dan..

post-2056-144598655273_thumb.jpg

post-2056-144598655286_thumb.jpg

Ive never caught a Jack let alone a tarpon, so can you give me a few pointers on where to fish and the best time, originally from Sydney, like my deep sea fishing, still learning the estuary side of fishing, thanks Barge

Welcome to SE QLD, 90% of the time I'm fishing landbased, so i recommend you decide what kind of fish you want to target and then maybe browse the forums on the site. Personally, when i'm trying new spots i like to find structure first. That could be anything from bridge pylons, rock bars, sunken trees and floating pontoons. Different places up and down the coast fish better on different tides, so it's just a case of try and see what works. It's helpful to keep a log, you'll be glad you did one day in the future. Record the date, moon phase, tide, catch etc..

Good luck, Dan

Archived