Anyone chasing Black Marlin this year??

BassTracker

My big goal for this year is to chase some of the black marlin that come in around the Gold Coast starting around september october. Ive never really fished for black marlin but Im not going to let that staop me giving it a try. Ive been reading up on techniques for baiting and finding them. Is there anyone else thats thinking of doing the same this year? Decky spots will be available on my boat and Id love to decky for some one else whos chasing them or have a chat about tactics.

Brad

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know you've got the Fraser trip organised but lets organise it, will be wicked to get a nice marlin on board

yeh mate for sure... just wish queels, avanon, patches, pressure point bands and ginger worked on my sea sickness....

You get sea sick Kurt :lol: never thought out of all people it would be you :dry: :)

I know you've got the Fraser trip organised but lets organise it, will be wicked to get a nice marlin on board

yeh mate for sure... just wish queels, avanon, patches, pressure point bands and ginger worked on my sea sickness....

You get sea sick Kurt :lol: never thought out of all people it would be you :dry: :)

yeh yeh i no... i own 2 boats and i get sick... yes its the story of my life... its only in the ocean though. it can be rough as hell in the bay and i wont get sick... go figure

If you have a rough idea on where the marlin are hanging out you cannot go past slow trolling live bonito and slimies.

Bonito are by far the best trolled live bait.

Large yakkas or cowanyoung are ok on some days as well but generally not the preferred baits if there is good schools of slimies or bonito hanging around.

They are a great fish to target and catch and contrary to a lot of peoples beliefs they are as easy to catch as any other fish once you work them out.

If you are towing lures around the main thing you need to do is have all lures set on the wave window and if fishing inshore waters for juvenile fish under the 100kg mark I have always found the smaller lures like Pakula Cockroaches are by far the best producing lures.

Marlin would be my dream fish to catch. I promised myself when I relocated here that I'd at least go after them before I have to leave.

I'd be keen for one of your deckie spots when you go out! Just let me know when and what supplies you need me to bring :)

Mate thats a curse, someone who loves fishing as much as you gets sea sick thats nasty mate, on the bright side if we feed you up on cat food and tuna oil the day before we wont have to worry about burley

Mate thats a curse, someone who loves fishing as much as you gets sea sick thats nasty mate, on the bright side if we feed you up on cat food and tuna oil the day before we wont have to worry about burley

hahaha never hear that one :silly:

If you have a rough idea on where the marlin are hanging out you cannot go past slow trolling live bonito and slimies.

Large yakkas or cowanyoung are ok on some days as well but generally not the preferred baits if there is good schools of slimies or bonito hanging around.

They are a great fish to target and catch and contrary to a lot of peoples beliefs they are as easy to catch as any other fish once you work them out.

If you are towing lures around the main thing you need to do is have all lures set on the wave window and if fishing inshore waters for juvenile fish under the 100kg mark I have always found the smaller lures like Pakula Cockroaches are by far the best producing lures.

Mate thats priceless advice, thanks for that, Ive heard the same thing, they are not hard onc you have them sussed, but I can only get them so sussed reading haha. I will be chasing the young ones under the 100 kilo mark for a start, I know they are ususaly around in good numbers, Ive got some lure set out plans from a couple of blokes and Im going to test that out in the bay and get used to setting the lures out like that so Im not trying to learn it on the water. I'll look into those Pakula Cockroaches now!

hahaha never hear that one :silly:

;);) i like to be original haha, its like when someone says, "forgot my keys " and you say you wont get far without those

Last year blokes were getting them in the seaway at the goldy, but they are in close, I know guys that were chasing the <100kg in tinnies. So if there is a good turn up again this year it should be pretty easy to access the spots, my only limit on distance is fuel! Im not set up to chase 100kg+ models, but under that I should be ok. Already started making live bait rigs!! Just got to learn a few of the baiting tricks and practice them!

i wouldnt mind getting onto a marlin! that is definatly something that interests me!

how far out do u generally need to go to find them?

or does it differ from year to year?

Hey Aussie, what size cockroaches would you suggest, and any color work well, hot purple looks cool!

Mate th would be on the cards for sure, im pretty sure kurt would be keen and sounds like a few other guys too. Be a good learning expierience for everyone

Count me in for the marlin would be great to hook up a multi boat trip and cover some ground. Also a newbie to marlin fishing but more than keen to give it a good crack.

I've caught them 1km off the beach but its depends on the warm water how close it pushes into the coast each season and where the bait is holding up in good numbers i've caught plenty only 3 miles out

i wouldnt mind getting onto a marlin! that is definatly something that interests me!

I've caught them 1km off the beach but its depends on the warm water how close it pushes into the coast each season and where the bait is holding up in good numbers i've caught plenty only 3 miles out

There was crazy amounts of bait around last year!!

Roaches in the Evil pattern are probably the most consistent fish raising lure,black and red is awesome and most with purple in the skirts like purple and brown.

In the end they are no different to any other fish on lures,one day they will readily take say an Evil pattern and the next a pink pattern.

Chasing marlin on lures is what often turns people off them as it can be a very expensive exercise.

Lures,rigging gear and hooks cost a lot of money and then theres a hundred or two litres of fuel a day burned up wandering around the ocean like a lost sheep.

Live baits on the other hand costs half a dozen Tarpon hooks,a couple of baits jigs and stuff all fuel for a days fishing.

My best year on marlin was over 200 fish released,74 tagged in one week and best day in that week was 22 hooked,13 were landed and tagged and all in 4.5 hours and 200m from shore at anchor in 22m of water.

You will probably catch 20 marlin on baits to one on lures and slow trolling baits is far more pleasant than belting around the ocean at 7-10 knots in choppy water.

With your bait traces,the most effective are by far the simplest trace setups,150 to 250lb mono with a 6/0 tarpon crimped on.

Forget your stainless hooks as they are too costly to sharks and mackeral and any gut hooked fish.

Make your traces a minimum of 15ft,they must be longer than the fish you are targeting so the tails dont rub through your main line plus you have the extra security when fish jump and land back on your line.

Just a bit of trivial information,Mercury motors used to raise 50% less fish than any others and OMC motors consistently out fished all brands of motors.(time to put the crash hat on) :P:P:P

If anyone needs any help or advice on game fishing just ask,I am more than happy to help out or offer any advice.

Got to agree that the big boys have bucket loads of diferent lures and change them regularly if the fish aren't biting so it does become expensive trolling all over the ocean. I've caught all mine on either live or fresh baits but i'm not just targetting marlin they tend to be a bye catch for me when i'm hunting mackerel, cobia and dollies etc

We might give it a crack on a trip I have off the Ribbon Reefs in September.

The skipper we are going with targets a lot of billfish up there but I think most people going on the trip are itching to do more popping on the actual reef for GT's red bass etc...

Angus

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly:

Aussie thanks for the advice, Ive rigged a few double 6/o's on 300 pound with about 3 meters of trace. hoping that works well, and angus the ribbon reefs are where you'll get the thousand pounders or lots of tuna!

And Kurt sounds like this is going to be a goer so I'll have a chat to angus about how to organise a bit of a social, theres pleanty of guys on here with the right boats who are keen, be awesome to get a few boats out there and hit it up for a day or weekend

Aussie thanks for the advice, Ive rigged a few double 6/o's on 300 pound with about 3 meters of trace. hoping that works well, and angus the ribbon reefs are where you'll get the thousand pounders or lots of tuna!

And Kurt sounds like this is going to be a goer so I'll have a chat to angus about how to organise a bit of a social, theres pleanty of guys on here with the right boats who are keen, be awesome to get a few boats out there and hit it up for a day or weekend

hell yeh, at least if the billies dont pay we can chase other palagics

Archived