Anyone chasing Black Marlin this year??

BassTracker

If they come back thick again this year I think people will be lining up around the block for deckie spots.. thats great so many people are keen.. pretty lucky to live is such a good part of the world where we can chase these things right on our doorstep

If you want a deckie some time Brad just yell out,I could be conned into it sometime.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Just reading everyones comments. But the looks of everything that has happened this year its looking like a cracker. The last time there was plagues of billies around there was a good run of grinners around and theres been great shows off frogmouth pillies around our usually haunts for billies. You guys should have a look at a place called the trench. Its not far from moreton infact its well before hutchies..

On another note i would almost go as far as saying a grander will be caught this season out on the shelf.

Close to the coast you tend to get the smaller marlin that i've seen anyway around these parts those big fellas are caught more often up north around the outer reef its a big fish a 1000 pounder to big for most of our gear

the ribbon reefs have been the only place ive ever heard of 1000poundrs!

You might be able to start awhale watching marlin catching charter tugger! ;);) :cheer:

• 1 month later...

Ditto

If you have a rough idea on where the marlin are hanging out you cannot go past slow trolling live bonito and slimies.

Bonito are by far the best trolled live bait.

Large yakkas or cowanyoung are ok on some days as well but generally not the preferred baits if there is good schools of slimies or bonito hanging around.

They are a great fish to target and catch and contrary to a lot of peoples beliefs they are as easy to catch as any other fish once you work them out.

If you are towing lures around the main thing you need to do is have all lures set on the wave window and if fishing inshore waters for juvenile fish under the 100kg mark I have always found the smaller lures like Pakula Cockroaches are by far the best producing lures.

Im not going to be trolling much, I'll be using livies, Might do a bit of trolling but I rate my chances being better finding some good reef dropoffs and hanging off them. I have a few gps marks for the goldy been hanging to try them out. Im a total novice when it comes to marlin so if I dont get one this season I wont be too disapointed but Im hoping so

If you are fishing livies your best bet by far is to sound out bait balls and fish livies directly in the zone. Have tried trolling pakula skirts last year a few sessions. Raised two blacks but they wouldn't strike. Trolling skip gar will yield much more consistant results.

good thread guys, i cut my teeth on gamefishing in the solomon islands where i spent 16 years of my life, and really want to land a billfish from my skeeter by teasing one up and switchbaiting it. but would need the support of another boat to help raise one. i dont think anyone has done this before out of a skeeter and would love to be the first.

i will mainly be trawling live baits slowly, switch baiting or making up some skip baits. from all the bill fisherman i know, switch baiting and fishing with livies will encounter 3 times as many billies than skirts, not saying skirts dont work.

i have all the gear from outrigers, skirts, teasers, taging pole ect.

need to pump the sea sick tablets into me for this one tho.

and MANNI on a good day your tinny is fine, i also have a 3.8m quitrex and it has gone to the 36's before and to curramuni reef and many more....

good thread guys, i cut my teeth on gamefishing in the solomon islands where i spent 16 years of my life, and really want to land a billfish from my skeeter by teasing one up and switchbaiting it. but would need the support of another boat to help raise one. i dont think anyone has done this before out of a skeeter and would love to be the first.

Would love the be the paired boat to come along for the ride plugger :D I think my stella 10000 will hold them :D and after paying close attention to how it was done on our recent trip up north, I know how to rig gar to skip around now as well :)

I will have a go but not too seriously. I prefer to hit the up the reefies at first light and then have a half ar$ed troll when the bite shuts down.

I usually troll minnows not skirts so the odds don't really favour me. Prefer to go after wahoo, tuna but if I see marlin I usually switch to skirts. I also end up usually being much further offshore than the early season juvenile marlin.

Having sad that I will probably do a trip or two in december/january close in off the gold coast if there are good reports from down that way.

Would love the be the paired boat to come along for the ride plugger :D I think my stella 10000 will hold them :D and after paying close attention to how it was done on our recent trip up north, I know how to rig gar to skip around now as well :)

the stella would be perfect mate, and your welcome to come you have a spot onboard anytime mate. also looking for someone who is handy with a camera would like to get it all on video also lots of stills.

the stella would be perfect mate, and your welcome to come you have a spot onboard anytime mate. also looking for someone who is handy with a camera would like to get it all on video also lots of stills.

You need a camera man & video producer, I would gladly come along :)

nah mate no teaser,just pakulas,green and purple,usually the teaser we use is about a footlong with 6 sections that spin,just a custom one found on the net,works a treat as long as u can get it in quick enough once it gets spotted ;) Changed trolling speeds continuously, went str8 through a patch of tuna,was also chasing hoo as well but struck out.Sometimes wehn those hoo are one out there you will get nothin but,and big ones to.Last year the dollies were one after another as well.Havent heard reports of them tho,but as i said in an earlier post the sailys will be on soon if they arent already here,last season very solid ones were gettin caught off caloundra wide and upwards into the spring shootout fraser area.The season was that good last year a few mornings we were out there,there was a boat with bush and beach photographers takin photos of all the catches,basically everyone was working together over the radio rounding the schools,everything was moving together..it'd be tuna,tuna tuna,hoo,hoo,dollie then your occasional black would come up for a look.on the right day people are gettin 5 or so blacks early morning,nothing huge but still 50lb or so

last year around hutchies we were gettin about 6 or so a morning,not huge but around 6ft mark,all on pakulas,purple on green.No witchdoctor teasers or nething just slow troll around pinnacles using tld25's,there were reports by charters of granders on the shelf last year tho

6 in a morning hey? Thats pretty amazing fishing.. and thousand pounders of seq?

You sure about that?

Battlescar,

When you say tempest 40 do you mean the 40 fathom line or 40m. i.e. around shallow tempest? Assuming you mean the former.

Basstracker,

There are granders hooked off SEQ but they are blues not blacks and it doesn't happen all that often.

multiple catches in a morning,anyone who hangs out on theyre own marks will be able to back that.a normal day trolling for a good amount of time youll have at least have 5 encounters if your in the right place at the right time,thats not sayin itll happen all the time but.The grander reports were from charters,not from my own experiences,but i dnt see why they wouldnt be out there.Follow the local big game clubs or the ANSA tagging records,you'd be surprised whats around from time to time.

Archived