Jewy at Scarborough

ryanyoung

G'day all,

Well it has been a while since I have posted a report, as I have generally tagged along with the mafia on most occasions of late. This arvo, after putting up with five weeks of madness with work :S , and needing to blood my new 2-5kg T-Curve, I decided to head up to Scarborough, and give the yak a long overdue run on the reefs in close. The targets for the arvo were bream and squire, and I had some pretty high hopes of getting at least a couple.

I got there with an hour or so left of light, and the tide was very low, starting to run in. Plastics were the order of the day, with 3" Damiki's and Gulps getting a run.

I soon got frustrated, as all I could manage were pike, of which there were a fair few. Past dark, and paddling back to the ramp, I decided to have a flick over some pretty shallow reef, and managed to get this little fella....

post-5695-144598656422_thumb.jpg

He only went 38cm or so, but not too bad for my first jewy lol!!!! This species has been a target of mine for a couple of years now, and it was great to get off the board, even though I was targeting squire and bream :woohoo:

Sorry about the long report for one sort of notable fish ha ha ha!!!

Cheers,

Ryan.

Well done mate, its good when thefirst of species you get is huge (like that snapper you caught way up the river at the yatch club haha)but thats a nice fish none the less

Ha ha ha!!! Yep, and I still haven't beat that monstrous snag either (low 40's) :P . It is a goal of mine though, to get a decent one in the very near future.

Sweet B) The key with up there is to let your plastic hit the bottom, if its not on the bottom the resident pike will hassle you. I tend to fish the reef edges to avoid getting snagged but get the plastic in tight. If you go there during the day you can see the gabs in the rocks and weed etc thats basically where I aim and drag the fish out.

Archived