What lures do you guys use for bass??

t_dogga90

Depends where you are fishing mate. If you are in small creeks use any surface walker, sammy 65 etc.

In dams spinnerbaits or lipless crankbaits are good.

Bass are very aggressive fish (I have had countless times in the creeks where a fish will hit a lure all the way from 1 side to the other until hooked), so the most important factor is to get the lure close to where they are sitting. Hit every snag, weed bed and undercut bank you can and you are bound to get them on anything they can get in their mouth.

As someone else said, it depends where you're fishing and when. Most of your hard body lures that are advertised as Bream lures are great for Bass, and these are perfect for creeks and rivers where there aren't too many snags/weeds and you want to fish from just below the surface down to about 3m.

When it gets a bit snaggy and/or if you want to hop your lure down a bank or along some structure then you might want to try spinnerbaits and soft plastics. I find softies rigged on pony head/bladespin jig heads or with beatlespin/jigspins attached work great for Bass. Also try rigging softies weedless to get right in where the fish are hiding, or try weedless surface lures like soft frogs to fish through the surface weed. (you might even get lucky with a Saratoga if they're there).

For trolling in the deep water (dams and big rivers) you want some deep diving bibbed lures like Predatek Boomerangs, Ridgebacks or something like that... Although you can troll with other types of lures too.

Bibbless crankbaits like TN50 and TN60s are good for the dams too, as are Redfin jigs.

Get yourself some Bream type blades too, these are very versatile and will catch Bass when others fail.

Oh yeah, and surface lures, you gotta try them too, especially in low light and when snags prevent using other types of lure. All surface types seem to work, but I seem to have more luck with poppers. My personal opinion is that surface lures are great fun when the fish hit them, but I think sub surface lures are more effective for Bass. A shallow diving bibbed minnow that floats will draw a surface strike just before or as you begin the retrieve anyway, and if the fish are taking surface lures they'll almost certainly take these types too, but with the added benefit of drawing out the fish that are reluctant to hit the surface. I tend to go to surface lures when it gets dark and you want to see exactly where your lure is and what it's doing, or in very shallow or snaggy water where other types don't work so well.

Bass are great cos they'll take almost anything you throw at them on a good day. Just have a good variety of types so that you can pick one based on the water you want to target - depth, structure etc.

A huge variety of brands and colours I don't think is too important, it's more important to have all your varieties or types of lures covered. e.g. bibbed minnows that float, sink, and suspend at various depths and various weights, a bibless crankbait or 2 of various weights, a couple sizes of blades, a few varieties of surface lure, a few spinnerbaits of light to medium weight, and a few varieties of soft tails with a selection of jig heads. And throw in some redfin jigs, some Tassie Devils/Cobras, and some inline spinners and chatterbaits, and that's about got you covered!!

Anyway, my favourites are:

- Stike Pro Bass X

- Strike Pro Smelta

- R2S Cnk40 Deep

- R2S Cnk40 Shallow

- Berkley Frenzy Firestick shallow

- Atomic Hardz Shad50 Deep

- Atomic Hardz Crank38 Deep

- TT blades (4-6g, 40mm)

- Ecogear Shrimp blade (ZX-35)

Good luck :-)

-Steve.

As someone else said, it depends where you're fishing and when. Most of your hard body lures that are advertised as Bream lures are great for Bass, and these are perfect for creeks and rivers where there aren't too many snags/weeds and you want to fish from just below the surface down to about 3m.

When it gets a bit snaggy and/or if you want to hop your lure down a bank or along some structure then you might want to try spinnerbaits and soft plastics. I find softies rigged on pony head/bladespin jig heads or with beatlespin/jigspins attached work great for Bass. Also try rigging softies weedless to get right in where the fish are hiding, or try weedless surface lures like soft frogs to fish through the surface weed. (you might even get lucky with a Saratoga if they're there).

For trolling in the deep water (dams and big rivers) you want some deep diving bibbed lures like Predatek Boomerangs, Ridgebacks or something like that... Although you can troll with other types of lures too.

Bibbless crankbaits like TN50 and TN60s are good for the dams too, as are Redfin jigs.

Get yourself some Bream type blades too, these are very versatile and will catch Bass when others fail.

Oh yeah, and surface lures, you gotta try them too, especially in low light and when snags prevent using other types of lure. All surface types seem to work, but I seem to have more luck with poppers. My personal opinion is that surface lures are great fun when the fish hit them, but I think sub surface lures are more effective for Bass. A shallow diving bibbed minnow that floats will draw a surface strike just before or as you begin the retrieve anyway, and if the fish are taking surface lures they'll almost certainly take these types too, but with the added benefit of drawing out the fish that are reluctant to hit the surface. I tend to go to surface lures when it gets dark and you want to see exactly where your lure is and what it's doing, or in very shallow or snaggy water where other types don't work so well.

Bass are great cos they'll take almost anything you throw at them on a good day. Just have a good variety of types so that you can pick one based on the water you want to target - depth, structure etc.

A huge variety of brands and colours I don't think is too important, it's more important to have all your varieties or types of lures covered. e.g. bibbed minnows that float, sink, and suspend at various depths and various weights, a bibless crankbait or 2 of various weights, a couple sizes of blades, a few varieties of surface lure, a few spinnerbaits of light to medium weight, and a few varieties of soft tails with a selection of jig heads. And throw in some redfin jigs, some Tassie Devils/Cobras, and some inline spinners and chatterbaits, and that's about got you covered!!

Anyway, my favourites are:

- Stike Pro Bass X

- Strike Pro Smelta

- R2S Cnk40 Deep

- R2S Cnk40 Shallow

- Berkley Frenzy Firestick shallow

- Atomic Hardz Shad50 Deep

- Atomic Hardz Crank38 Deep

- TT blades (4-6g, 40mm)

- Ecogear Shrimp blade (ZX-35)

Good luck :-)

-Steve.

Good advice mate!

and when they are off the bite you can work hard all day for barely a touch no matter what you use, and then the same spot next day, you gotta hide behind a tree to tie the lure on 'coz they just about launch out of the water for whatever you throw at them

and when they are off the bite you can work hard all day for barely a touch no matter what you use, and then the same spot next day, you gotta hide behind a tree to tie the lure on 'coz they just about launch out of the water for whatever you throw at them

That is extremely true, thats what makes bass fishing so much fun

My go-to lure is the Rapala skitter-pop in the brown frog colour but i will also try walk-the-dog lures before going below the surface with a lipless around 500mm-60mm, floating divers or spinnerbaits. PM me if you are keen to hook up for a fish after sept 1 and i can do my best to pass on what i have learned.

Most important thing is to have the lure doing the right thing WITHIN the strike zone though. Lure choice is a distant second place to that requirment.

>http://www.australianfishing.com.au/shop/hard-body-lures/6-hard-body-lures/P39-damiki-napjaru-60mm

100% success rate with this lure.... 1 trip bass fishing with it, for 1 fish :-)

Suprised you didn't post the barra photo :whistle: In cas anyone missed it, Booty caught a bass

post-1039-144598658066_thumb.jpg

Archived