Best bait for Red Cray?

Gordo

Hi all

Reading all the great reports from North Pine dam, i thought i might have a crack at it next weekend or so. I'm planning to go for a bit of a bass session but i thought i might as well throw in a trap or two to catch some red cray. Any tips on what bait to use and spots to put them (near mud, deep holes, shallow?).

Gordo

from my experience....cat food or pillies and dont even bother during the day..night is the go..and as far out as ya can get em(like dazza said)...i've seen kids swimming the traps way out...in summer of course

but in fishing,there is always exceptions..thats why we love it so much:) ....good luck and let us know how ya do gordo

When we had boating access always did best in 10 to 15 feet of water preferably near weed beds . We used dog food pellets, small tins of cat food, fish frames with fish frames the most productive. Never had much success with rockmelon,watermelon, half cooked potatoes, mango or cabbage leaves which have all been recommended by different people.( I think that they didnt want us to catch any).

Ray

Every disposed trap there has cat food cans in them so I'm thinking that would be the go.

Also watch out for thieves and don't leave them there. Not that I'm saying you would, but someone else reading may, the place is a SH$#$hole with all the traps there.

Cheers

Tim

Thanks for the advice guys. SOunds like cat food is the way to go. I'm not planning to leave the pots over night just for a couple of hours when i'm out fishing. I'll try it out hopefully next Friday and tell you how it goes.

Regards

Archived