PB Bluefin Tuna - Bribie

Woolybugger

post-5345-144598658667_thumb.jpg

post-5345-144598658678_thumb.jpg

Hi all,

Went out this morning to try and land myself one of those Tuna on some Surf Candy flies I had just made up. Up early and headed out the passage in the search of any life or signs of Tuna and the like. I just got out the heads and it didn't take long to se birds working the surface, looking for their morning breaky.

Was looking good so I armed the rods up and got them at the ready. From recent sightings on previous fishing outings, I noticed that they were working in small packs and with only small showings of bait, I knew that they would be moving fast and not staying in the one place for too long. With this in mind, I had one hand on the wheel and the other on the rod with the fly between the fingers (very awkward in the slightly choppy conditions)

Anyway within 5 minutes I saw a school of Tuna right in front of me approx 40metres and they were feeding and heading staight for me. I knocked the boat out of gear, swiveled the boat quickly, got onto the platform and casted which all happened in record time. 1st cast and WHACK!!!! zzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz What the f@cK!!! it was like I hooked onto a freight train heading towards Melbourne. Unless you have caught a Tuna you couldn't imagine the power of these magic fish, my smallest too date was around the 60cm mark but this was making my knees shake. After about 30-40 LONG! minutes and heart braking, heart stopping moments when he swam towards me and the line went slack, I saw him and OMG! The last 10 minutes was the hardest, he tried all his tactics, he circled the boat, he went under the boat, he went deep, he turned quickly towards me and changed directions however he was beat (and me too!)

Then I thought, how am I going to get him in, I was by myself and with a 9ft fly rod and he was big, heavy and strong. I had to be quick because I wanted to get him back into the water alive. The last 5 minutes was pretty much a tuck of war, he was knackered and I was knackered so I just grabbed the fly line and dragged him in.

Got him into the boat and took a quick photo and back into the water within 20 seconds. I didn't see him come back up so hope he survived. "Thanks for the thrill of a life time, old boy!".

Anyway, lots of small schools passing by however as the sun was getting up and a few boats in the area they where alot more wary and hard to get close to. So off I went and caught a few small squire and whitting on plastics near by.

Apologies for the bodgy photos but when you are by yourself, shaking and in a hurry to get the fish back, this is all I could do.

[attachment=37985]BluefinTuna113cm.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=37986]Tuna.jpg[/attachment]

Hi all,

Went out this morning to try and land myself one of those Tuna on some Surf Candy flies I had just made up. Up early and headed out the passage in the search of any life or signs of Tuna and the like. I just got out the heads and it didn't take long to se birds working the surface, looking for their morning breaky.

Was looking good so I armed the rods up and got them at the ready. From recent sightings on previous fishing outings, I noticed that they were working in small packs and with only small showings of bait, I knew that they would be moving fast and not staying in the one place for too long. With this in mind, I had one hand on the wheel and the other on the rod with the fly between the fingers (very awkward in the slightly choppy conditions)

Anyway within 5 minutes I saw a school of Tuna right in front of me approx 40metres and they were feeding and heading staight for me. I knocked the boat out of gear, swiveled the boat quickly, got onto the platform and casted which all happened in record time. 1st cast and WHACK!!!! zzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz What the f@cK!!! it was like I hooked onto a freight train heading towards Melbourne. Unless you have caught a Tuna you couldn't imagine the power of these magic fish, my smallest too date was around the 60cm mark but this was making my knees shake. After about 30-40 LONG! minutes and heart braking, heart stopping moments when he swam towards me and the line went slack, I saw him and OMG! The last 10 minutes was the hardest, he tried all his tactics, he circled the boat, he went under the boat, he went deep, he turned quickly towards me and changed directions however he was beat (and me too!)

Then I thought, how am I going to get him in, I was by myself and with a 9ft fly rod and he was big, heavy and strong. I had to be quick because I wanted to get him back into the water alive. The last 5 minutes was pretty much a tuck of war, he was knackered and I was knackered so I just grabbed the fly line and dragged him in.

Got him into the boat and took a quick photo and back into the water within 20 seconds. I didn't see him come back up so hope he survived. "Thanks for the thrill of a life time, old boy!".

Anyway, lots of small schools passing by however as the sun was getting up and a few boats in the area they where alot more wary and hard to get close to. So off I went and caught a few small squire and whitting on plastics near by.

Apologies for the bodgy photos but when you are by yourself, shaking and in a hurry to get the fish back, this is all I could do.

Well done mate.

Archived