new braid rod ready to SP

poohbear

Hi Guys,

Just invested in a new shimano catana light rod 2-4kg for my soft plastic adventure, wish me luck!

anyway just wanted to ask if everything is done correctly.

I had some 6-8lb fireline braid put in the reel and have attached about 1 rod lengths of berkley vanish leader with a double uni knot. then this will eventually attach to a soft plastic. Now with that knot, what should I look out for? can that special knot be reeled to the spinning reel and then casted? or should that preferably be outside of the reel?

Other than that i bought some 1/8 jighead hws with 1/0 hooks and some gulp 3' minnow paddletales.

Anything else missing (other than the fish in the water :P )

Any tips/hints is appreciated..

Sounds like you are pretty well covered to start out. When you spooled up the reel did you put a mono backing on it? If not the fireline may actually spin on the spool if you get onto a decent enough fish that can give it a workout. Maybe grab a couple of different size jigheads as well so you can change up if conditions don't suit, but what you have will definitely get a flattie or three. As for the knot, personally I like to have it on the spool, reckon it just allows a bit of momentum before the knot starts flying through the guides, but I'm sure others have their own preference. Other than that like I said I reckon you are ready to go catch a fish, good luck :)

few tips for ya.

1.Make sure your plastics sits straight on the jighead when you rig them or they may spin n not look natural on the retrieve.

2. fish slow.

3. Hug the bottom. Make sure your lure is on the bottom unless you're chasing things like tailor or salmon etc. (i've fished with heaps of people where their plastic hasn't hit the bottom and i'm outfishing them)

4. watch the line. Alot of the time you may feel the hits but you still get those hits that you don't feel and you can actually see them by a small tick on the line (usually on the drop)

and lastly practice practice practice. Get out there and put some hours in.

cheers

Sounds like you are pretty well covered to start out. When you spooled up the reel did you put a mono backing on it? If not the fireline may actually spin on the spool if you get onto a decent enough fish that can give it a workout. Maybe grab a couple of different size jigheads as well so you can change up if conditions don't suit, but what you have will definitely get a flattie or three. As for the knot, personally I like to have it on the spool, reckon it just allows a bit of momentum before the knot starts flying through the guides, but I'm sure others have their own preference. Other than that like I said I reckon you are ready to go catch a fish, good luck :)

Well the shop (tackle warehouse) actually spooled the line, so I'm not sure if there is mono backing on it ? What other jighead size? would it be smaller than 1/4? like 1/18 and 1/16?

So that braid-mono knot can still be ok when its in the spool when casting? ( i guess i will find out when i next get the chance to fish :silly: )

Well thanks for the tips!

@Dell,

thanks for the helpful tips, will sure take them on.

Might rig some jigs and take a few pics..

So what do you feel when sink heats the bottom? would expect the line to go slack ? (hoping its not a windy day)

and also when you're on, what do you do? just strike or just keep the retrieval? and do you expect any bites as if it was a livebait ??

thanks again guys~~really looking forward to throw a few plastics!! :woohoo:

@Dell,

thanks for the helpful tips, will sure take them on.

Might rig some jigs and take a few pics..

So what do you feel when sink heats the bottom? would expect the line to go slack ? (hoping its not a windy day)

and also when you're on, what do you do? just strike or just keep the retrieval? and do you expect any bites as if it was a livebait ??

thanks again guys~~really looking forward to throw a few plastics!! :woohoo:

When the plastic hits the bottom you should see slack as you mentioned. If it doesn't stop you most likely have a fish on :). I use more of a steady lift into the fish rather then striking it like you would with a bait.

Bites can range from nibbles (like fishing bait), to a subtle thud or even a full out grab that almost rips the rod outa your hands. So be prepared for anything.

Try some nice light weight jigheads if you are chasing bream, 1/32 - 1/20 is probably a good start for calmer conditions, but there are so many different size jigheads on the market now it can be easier just to grab a few different ones and start chucking, you'll find what works. The hardcore bream guys here will have more of an idea on jigheads than me. Yeah the knot will be ok on the spool, most guys use around 2 rod lengths of leader so you'll be fine. Don't get too caught up in making sure everything is perfect just get out there and practice.

@zan0_15, Dell

Thanks guys for the great tips, really looking forward to my first proper SP !!!! can't wait!

and will definitely let you guys know how it all went !

@surfingant:

1/32, aren't they really light? would they affect how far i can cast? and I would imagine it will take longer to sink?

and i guess i will need to wait until the reel stops spinning before i lock the reel??

and yes i'm just feeling insecure about the first ever double uniknot i've made.. made a few practise ones from mono to mono, just seems like a small clump of knots. So by the comments from everyone else, i can still cast if this braid-to-mono knot is still in the reel?

Now regarding the rigged soft plastic, what do you usually do with them after you finish? soak them back to the packaging? or just let it dry??

and how do you usually change the soft plastic? snip them off and tie a new knot every time?

thanks guys, hopefully this is all i need to know for now before i get all too excited :lol:

@zan0_15, Dell

Thanks guys for the great tips, really looking forward to my first proper SP !!!! can't wait!

and will definitely let you guys know how it all went !

@surfingant:

1/32, aren't they really light? would they affect how far i can cast? and I would imagine it will take longer to sink?

and i guess i will need to wait until the reel stops spinning before i lock the reel??

and yes i'm just feeling insecure about the first ever double uniknot i've made.. made a few practise ones from mono to mono, just seems like a small clump of knots. So by the comments from everyone else, i can still cast if this braid-to-mono knot is still in the reel?

Now regarding the rigged soft plastic, what do you usually do with them after you finish? soak them back to the packaging? or just let it dry??

and how do you usually change the soft plastic? snip them off and tie a new knot every time?

thanks guys, hopefully this is all i need to know for now before i get all too excited :lol:

yes 1/32 is really light so you cant cast as far and takes longer to sink but is alot more life like rather then just a piece of plastic with a sinker. i use the 5 turn surgeons knot and is extremely easy to tie if you dont feel comfortable about the uni to uni. and once your finish put it straight back in the packet if still usable especially with gulp and make sure the seal is completely tight otherwise you just throw 10 dollars down the drain, good luck look foraward to the reports mate

yes 1/32 is really light so you cant cast as far and takes longer to sink but is alot more life like rather then just a piece of plastic with a sinker. i use the 5 turn surgeons knot and is extremely easy to tie if you dont feel comfortable about the uni to uni. and once your finish put it straight back in the packet if still usable especially with gulp and make sure the seal is completely tight otherwise you just throw 10 dollars down the drain, good luck look foraward to the reports mate

Do you put the rigged plastics back in the bag with the jighead? its ok with seawater on it as well?

and would they work if they were dried up ??

post-9493-144598659943_thumb.jpg

well i think i did it, just not sure if it looks right :P

Will give the surgeons knot a go as well if this fails ..

any way to test it beforehand?

Your finished knot should be a little smaller than that I think mate. If it's too big then you will have endless trouble with it getting caught on your guides. Practice makes perfect though. The improved albright is also a good one to use.

Take your jig head off the plastic to stop it getting hooked up in the packet, and also, no they don't work once they're dried up. Some plastics will not dry up when out of their packet, but others like Gulp's will.

/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qE67Hg2CBg

Your finished knot should be a little smaller than that I think mate. If it's too big then you will have endless trouble with it getting caught on your guides. Practice makes perfect though. The improved albright is also a good one to use.

Take your jig head off the plastic to stop it getting hooked up in the packet, and also, no they don't work once they're dried up. Some plastics will not dry up when out of their packet, but others like Gulp's will.

thanks for the heads up~

so you think i had too many loops? i used about 5-6 rounds on each uniknot, is that ok still?

OK, i had a flick for a few hours today near southport, just outside grand apartments/marine parade.

:woohoo: Was exciting i must say but didn't catch anything, Had a few decent nibbles, saw a what looked like a salmon chasing the lure up near the platoon but didn't hook on. I used 1/4 and 1/6 jigheads with some pumpkinseed 2in minnow grub and camo 2in jigging grub. One of the grub lures seem to have been bitten off.. :whistle: or maybe just by other structures under the water..

i tried slow retrieve (seem to roll on the bottom feeling like bites but are not), draw and pause and also flicking the rod mixed with retrieving on each flick.

When I did have a few bites (some were felt, some spooled the reel as i set the reel quite loose) but were only short lasting.

What does everyone do when they have a bite/nibble or think they are on? do you stop ? or just keep retrieving?

post-9493-14459866077_thumb.jpg

OK, i had a flick for a few hours today near southport, just outside grand apartments/marine parade.

:woohoo: Was exciting i must say but didn't catch anything, Had a few decent nibbles, saw a what looked like a salmon chasing the lure up near the platoon but didn't hook on. I used 1/4 and 1/6 jigheads with some pumpkinseed 2in minnow grub and camo 2in jigging grub. One of the grub lures seem to have been bitten off.. :whistle: or maybe just by other structures under the water..

i tried slow retrieve (seem to roll on the bottom feeling like bites but are not), draw and pause and also flicking the rod mixed with retrieving on each flick.

When I did have a few bites (some were felt, some spooled the reel as i set the reel quite loose) but were only short lasting.

What does everyone do when they have a bite/nibble or think they are on? do you stop ? or just keep retrieving?

Mate i like to keep retrieving my ''lure'' or ''sp'' even when it keeps getting hit on the retrieve :)

Cheers

Darren

Mate i like to keep retrieving my ''lure'' or ''sp'' even when it keeps getting hit on the retrieve :)

Cheers

Darren

@kimiboy

thanks mate

How fast do you recommend retrieving? been researching and looks like slow is best.

i have been thinking, maybe my hook size is too small?

the tail of the minnow grub seems to be quite long, the fish would have to swallow at least 40% of the SP to get hooked? or not really?

Mate i try different speeds i have ''No'' set speed in retrieve rates. I find sometimes a slow retrieve works well and other days a faster retrieve works better.

My advise look what bait fish are around where your fishing and try match the colour and size to the sp your using, mix it up brother try different things.

Hope this helps, this is my 2cents of advise anyway ;)

Cheers

Darren

Mate i try different speeds i have ''No'' set speed in retrieve rates. I find sometimes a slow retrieve works well and other days a faster retrieve works better.

My advise look what bait fish are around where your fishing and try match the colour and size to the sp your using, mix it up brother try different things.

Hope this helps, this is my 2cents of advise anyway ;)

Cheers

Darren

thanks darran and etran.. will keep trying,

while i'm at it, mind checking my rig please?? cheers!

post-9493-144598661093_thumb.jpg

Archived