Fly Combo

dan25

Hey all

Thinking of buying a Fly combo, have been wanting too for awhile now, looks pretty cool and seems like theres a bit of an art too it. B) Have no idea what too get. Wouldn't mind giving it a crack though on bream and bass. Also wouldn't mind giving carp a crack on fly, and i heard talipia take the fly well too. B)

Cheers

Dan

i think an important question would be - how much do u want to spend? another thing is whether you'd be just dabbling in it for laughs or whether you're getting into it seriously, coz if you're just wanting a short experience, i'd say borrow a cheap combo off someone. Fly fishing with low end gear is a killjoy, and personally I think that that's why soo many people get turned off after trying it once or twice. Starting with mid range gear makes it so much more enjoyable and makes the learning soo much more easier and much much faster.

i'd recommend a 5 or 6wt rod if you were going for a general bream/bass rod.. at the least a redington or Temple Fork Outfitters (TFO) outfit. If budget permits, get a Sage starting outfit. a world apart from those nasty cheap combos that terrorize the unwary angler that is attracted to fly fishing.

i think an important question would be - how much do u want to spend? another thing is whether you'd be just dabbling in it for laughs or whether you're getting into it seriously, coz if you're just wanting a short experience, i'd say borrow a cheap combo off someone. Fly fishing with low end gear is a killjoy, and personally I think that that's why soo many people get turned off after trying it once or twice. Starting with mid range gear makes it so much more enjoyable and makes the learning soo much more easier and much much faster.

i'd recommend a 5 or 6wt rod if you were going for a general bream/bass rod.. at the least a redington or Temple Fork Outfitters (TFO) outfit. If budget permits, get a Sage starting outfit. a world apart from those nasty cheap combos that terrorize the unwary angler that is attracted to fly fishing.

awesome advise for u dan, let us know how u go. i have a combo that hasn't seen much action lately, and would be keen to hit some bass come season opener.

Archived