"Salmon and Tailor"

hokianga

Over the last couple of weeks have had the kids over from NZ on School Holidays... have taken my 8 yr old daughter out for a couple of beach/flicks from Surfers up to the Spit.

On our first outing, we were actually at the beach for a swim but conveniently, the rods were in the back of the car.....just in case :whistle:

The water was like glass, wind non existent, no sweep to speak of, very few wave formations, and no-one else fishing (Probably because it was mid arvo, and the "Knowledgeable Fisherman" was waiting till dusk..)

After about an hour of swimming, the kids had returned to the beach for a bit of sunbathing, which was the moment I had been waiting for...Quick sprint back to the car, back onto the beach and rigging up before they had time to realize what had hit them...Luckily for me my daughter gets just as much excitement from fishing as I do :cheer:, so as long as she had a rod she was happy...Every time I've taken her out, not only have I been out fished by her but 80% of the time hers are always the bigger fish... She'd been in the water for about 5 mins, I'd just thrown my line in when.....whack zzzzzz!!! d*mn she's done it again!!!! I noticed what the line was doing, and realized she'd hooked up on a tailor or a salmon, and it was whipping up a bit of curry...was giving her some encouragement because she was finding the going a little tuff, and after a 5 min struggle, she managed to beach a 39cm Chopper (First time fishing in Aus, Tailor after 5 mins WTF!!!)...While I was taking her fish off the hook, to bleed, I asked her to hold my rod..The moment I bent over to pick her fish up.....Whack zzzzz!!!

"Yeah typical :huh: " However in this instance, the fish was a little bit too big for her to hold onto so being the supportive parent that I am.... and not wanting her to injure herself, I regrettably had to take over :whistle: :whistle:

There was a couple in one of the high rises behind us that had seen what was happening, came down in an elevator, crossed the street, and even had time to walk down the beach just as I pulled in a 68cm Salmon.

post-9426-144598660058_thumb.jpg

post-9426-144598660065_thumb.jpg

post-9426-144598660075_thumb.jpg

Second session a few days later,

Went down to Phillip Park for a 5am tailor hunt...Got there and rigged up ready to go by 5.30, it looked as though the weather was going to be another cracker... Good gutters all the way up to the Spit, not a cloud in the sky and again the sweep was very minimal.. Would have seen up in the distance about 10 Fisho's trying their luck.. So we were into it...We'd been going for about an hour with no luck, because of the sweep I had rigged with the "Running ball sinkers" Somehow the bl**dy things had become tangled in the current...Ok tangled up to the top eyes of both rods, and while I'm trying to free them, my team mate is yanking away on her rod..."Hurry dad, I've got a fish and you're in my way :huh: "

Just got the time to say.. "I'm trying".. then....whack zzzz!!! no. 2 goes off... Good one...Tangled, both hooked up and the fish are headed in opposite directions...

Decision time...

snip/untangle/hand line???

Decision made..."What do you think you're thinking dad???, just grab it with your hands and pull mine in, I was first!!!"

:huh::huh: Turn to see, little miss smarty pants, one hand on the hip the other on the rod...."Well, hurry up!!"(after looking at the expression on her face,and that posture, wasn't a good time to argue :whistle: )....Ok hand line hers about 50 meters down the beach to come up with a nice salmon, I'm thinking I have definitely dropped whatever it was I had, so I start making my way back, when...

"Hurry up...run!! I can't do everything"

Somehow, she's untangled the rods grabbed mine and is winding it in... :blink::huh:

Got back just in time to have her wind another Salmon into the shallows and onto the beach..

"Thats two for me daddy :P:P "

:whistle: :whistle: :huh::huh::blink::blink: ...Ok Vic breathe...

Right, over that little mishap, we're into it again, re-bait my mate, cast, myself, cast.... as soon as the bait hits the water...whack, zzzz!!! ooooohhhh, this ones got a bit of weight....zzzzzz, second run, yeah this is all good!!!, getting right into it when..

"Daddy, daddy help!!"... You've got to be kidding, spin around to see my mates rod pointed straight into the water, and she going in after it.. By the time I've, slammed my rod into the holder and turned she's already up to her waste and I can see she's contemplating letting it go :unsure::unsure:

Get to her just in time, pulled her back onto the beach have knelt behind her, and now we're trying to get whatever it is in...."Ok my baby...wind....lift....wind...lift" wow this one feels like a real goody

"Dad I can't do it :unsure: "

"Yes you can...wind...lift...look, its coming not too far...lift....wind,thats it ....look here it... :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

"THEY.... COME???"...She had hooked a, Bream and a Salmon on the one gang hook B) :woohoo: And she thought she was "BULLET PROOF AFTER THAT" I was that proud of her effort I'd forgotten about my rod, gave her a cuddle was looking at her fish and thinking....d*mn...when..

"Um are you going to wind yours in now, your fish is jumping out of the water look!!"

Doh.. get it in and its about a 52cm tailor... What a great morning session... Left soon after very proud of the effort...doesn't get much better than that I have to admit :woohoo: :woohoo:

post-9426-144598660081_thumb.jpg

post-9426-144598660086_thumb.jpg

post-9426-144598660091_thumb.jpg

Archived