bumping along the bottom

poohbear

Slow retirevals along the bottom can be deadly on a lot of species. You still want to keep the jig head as light as possible though and dont use it over snaggy territory as you will loose a lot of gear.

In the Noosa river I get a lot of Jew, flathead, trevally and Jacks using this method on the sand bank drop offs, working the plastic from shallow to deep.

In general I like to sit down stream, cast up onto the flats and bring the plastic back into the deep hugging the bottom. Sometimes I use the current only to bring the plastic back and let it swoop past you untill it gets tight down current, then give it a few flicks and retireve. The fish sometimes tend to follow it and strike on the flick.

In particular prawn patterns work exceptionally well for me using this retireve. Favourite prawn pattern is the DOA prawn. Hope this is helpfull to you.

thanks guys, that helps a lot will keep trying :)

any tips if i'm land based ? i find that if i use a light jighead, i tend not to cast very far..

Yep exactly my issue as well. Even with 6lb braid and a fluorocarbon leader still doesn't go far enough for me to say Im covering the area well enough.

I find bumping along the bottom works well for flathead, but make sure you still pause and twitch every now and again. Like mentioned above the lighter jighead the better, I am predominantly a land based fisherman and never use a jig head over 1/8 and more often than not use 1/16 or less, I find you can cast these sizes plenty far enough even in wind. What combo are you guys currently using? This maybe the issue with casting lighter weights.

I find bumping along the bottom works well for flathead, but make sure you still pause and twitch every now and again. Like mentioned above the lighter jighead the better, I am predominantly a land based fisherman and never use a jig head over 1/8 and more often than not use 1/16 or less, I find you can cast these sizes plenty far enough even in wind. What combo are you guys currently using? This maybe the issue with casting lighter weights.

What do you mean by combo ? you mean reel/rod?

yep. what rod and reel you use is very important to being able to cast lighter weights further. Even what type of braid you use is important.... even the leader knot you tie will affect your casting distance.

Using an average 2-5kg rod and average 2500 sized reel with a 1/4th jighead, I'd be able to cast a plastic with a 1/24 or 1/16 plastic almost as far with the super light rod, 1000 sized high end reel and high end line....

yep. what rod and reel you use is very important to being able to cast lighter weights further. Even what type of braid you use is important.... even the leader knot you tie will affect your casting distance.

Using an average 2-5kg rod and average 2500 sized reel with a 1/4th jighead, I'd be able to cast a plastic with a 1/24 or 1/16 plastic almost as far with the super light rod, 1000 sized high end reel and high end line....

Well for plastics i actually bought a new rod specifically to try it out.

I use a 2500 size reel with a catana shimano rod, on 4 or 6lb (forgot!!) fireline braid + double uniknot to berkley vanish. How does that go?

i've actually only tried down to 1/8.. it just seems too light if i go smaller? but i guess i should give it a try~~

It sounds like your set up is fine, 4,6,8lb braid is perfect for targeting flathead, I am not sure of anyone else's opinion but I find the original fireline a little stiff and not great to cast. My favorite braid for casting plastics is fins original or Berkley Exeed. What kg and action is your rod? I like using 1-3kg or 2-4kg with a medium to stiff action and just over 7ft long for land based.

Well for plastics i actually bought a new rod specifically to try it out.

I use a 2500 size reel with a catana shimano rod, on 4 or 6lb (forgot!!) fireline braid + double uniknot to berkley vanish. How does that go?

i've actually only tried down to 1/8.. it just seems too light if i go smaller? but i guess i should give it a try~~

You're on the right track mate. Thats at the start of the combos to get into luring. What weight rating is your catana? it'll tell you something like 4-8lb or 4-10 lb or something like that.

Come to a social event or meet up, or go for a fish with one of the guys on this site and they'll be able to show you the gear more specific to lighter fishing.

You're on the right track mate. Thats at the start of the combos to get into luring. What weight rating is your catana? it'll tell you something like 4-8lb or 4-10 lb or something like that.

Come to a social event or meet up, or go for a fish with one of the guys on this site and they'll be able to show you the gear more specific to lighter fishing.

Yeah mate would love to do that.

My rod says 2-4kg, the length is 2.13 meters...(SHIMANO CATANA 702)

2 pound roughly equals 1 kg??

yeah, you'd be struggling to throw the lighter stuff. Not like you can't catch fish with what you're throwing out right now. Your set up is pretty perfect for chasing flatties, trevs and tailor if they're around.

what do you mean by struggling to throw the lighter stuff? is there anything i can change to make the cast further to gain my chances?

I've got a the same Rod with a 2500 Soltace on it. Love the rod but the reel not so much because of the same reasons, I am going to try and match it up with a cheap stadic seen them on special awhile ago. I'm hoping the special comes around again soon.

As for the OP, I agree with what most have said Light Jig heads, slow retieve along the bottom with the occasional flick and into the current where possible seems to be working for me especially with flatties.

Hey mate,

I started with the combo you are using and it was great value... Still use it occasionally.

But like Do$tylz is saying it can be a little more difficult to throw lighter plastics around. My suggestion is become accustomed and comfortable with what you are using, that is catching fish regularly because once you start it is a slippery slope. I've upgraded twice now and the second time I did without the minister knowing until it was too late.

Persistance is the key, if one technique isn't providing results try another... Everyone will have there own technique, findout what works for you and gives you confidence.

Cheers

Freshy

Archived