SD cards for videos

daveylad

For the tech heads and those with video cameras with sd cards, I've been looking for sd cards 32gb they have to be class 6 or above, most cards seem to class10 just wanted to check if these are okay sounds a bit silly if I'm right its only the write speed that is the class so it shouldnt bother the reading...Please help Tech people. ;)

Davey i was told by 5 differend camera places that for the Panasonic FT-2 & FT-3 you need at least a class 6 and above. So when i brought my FT-3 camera i brought a LEXAR Platinum 2 8GB SDHC 100x Class 6.

I know S*** all about SD Cards but this is the card i have for my FT-3 :)

Cheers

Darren

thanks darren,looking for the tachyon video cam, also it has to be a micro card so if anyone can help with that, the card I have at the moment is a class 4 and its a bit grainy so 6 or above would help

Anytime mate, i have had a Tachyon camera before and they are great. Just google youtube and see some of the under water videos to see how great this unit is :)

Cant wait to test out my FT-3 in the water :)

Mate have you used "Super LoiLoScope" video edit yet that you got with the FT-3 ?

Cheers

Darren

Mate, you want Class 6 or above.

It effects both the record/write speed and the download/read speed.

For example, if you want the best quality for HD recording, you want a class 10. That's if you have an HD cam to capture and the software to download and convert to full HD (1920/1080).

A Class 10 allows images to be captured and written at approx 30 Mb/sec meaning that there is more detail and "true" HD.

If you have a mid-range camera and you don't have the software to retain full HD quality, a Class 6 is more than sufficient.

Hope this helps.

Mate, you want Class 6 or above.

It effects both the record/write speed and the download/read speed.

For example, if you want the best quality for HD recording, you want a class 10. That's if you have an HD cam to capture and the software to download and convert to full HD (1920/1080).

A Class 10 allows images to be captured and written at approx 30 Mb/sec meaning that there is more detail and "true" HD.

If you have a mid-range camera and you don't have the software to retain full HD quality, a Class 6 is more than sufficient.

Hope this helps.

Doobsy i have a LEXAR Platinum 2 8GB SDHC 100x Class 6 card for my FT-3 full HD under water camera, is this any good or would i get better video pictures and shots with a different card. If so what card do you recommend ?

Cheers

Darren

Mate, I'm not sure what format your cam records in so I couldn't say but if it's not up near 1080/60p, A Class 6 is fine.

It really is dependant on what format you record in and the software you've got to download and edit your movies.

There's no point in spending a premium on a class 10 card if you're gonna end up with a 560 or 720p picture.

If you're gonna get serious and spend the coin on a "pro-sumer" editing software suite that will give you 1080p at the end then get a Class 10.

As for what cards, I've always used SanDisk for my DSLR and Camcorders. Haven't failed me yet. (touch wood! :dry: )

Can anyone give me some advise on a good program editing software for pictures & videos ?

I have the new FT-3 Lumix camera, it dose come with a free 30 day ''Super LoiLoScope'' video edit. It looks like its for kids lol.

Some advise on edit programs for videos & pictures for windows would be great :)

Cheers

Darren

Been looking at program editing software for my under water camera. Been looking at two programs....Super LoiLoScope & PowerDirector 9 Deluxe....Not sure what video editing program is better, 1 of them dose not do AVCHD is that bad ?....What the hell dose AVCHD mean or do and dose it matter if the program dose not come with AVCHD when making videos ?

Your help plzzzzzzzz :)

Cheers

Darren

Been looking at program editing software for my under water camera. Been looking at two programs....Super LoiLoScope & PowerDirector 9 Deluxe....Not sure what video editing program is better, 1 of them dose not do AVCHD is that bad ?....What the hell dose AVCHD mean or do and dose it matter if the program dose not come with AVCHD when making videos ?

Your help plzzzzzzzz :)

Cheers

Darren

AVCHD (Advanced Video Coding High Definition - it was developed by Sony & Panasonic

So in very basic terms Kiwi it allows you to record in full HD at around 24 megabits per second

Most non Panasonic or Sony editing suits will read this file type but check with the app your looking to buy to ensure it does. I would suggest for you that the app that doesn't do AVCHD is not the app for you as it won't read the file :)

I have used I Movie on my MacBook Pro, very basic editing tool whit some good features, although i'm upgrading to Final Cut Pro as i'm wanting to do more advanced editing on my mac.

If your just starting out then go basic, i.e. if you've got editing software with your camera then use it as a starting point to get your head around basic editing.

To be honest editing is only limited by your skills in using the technology out there, not your imagination !!

With Final Cut & Motion 5 these apps are beasts and you need a good understanding of editing to get real use out of it.

For a PC Apps like "Movie Maker" that comes with windows can be pretty sweet but can crash with really big files (which you will have if you have recorded long HD clips) but this happens more because of PC processing power rather than the app. when it works it's great, you can create titles, add music, edit the clip etc... and whip up a vid in 10 minutes ;) it will come down to how fancy you wanna do it !!

This vid was done on I movie and i recorded it with a Go Pro and Sony HD camera which recorded in AVCHD, about 30 minutes of footage recorded and edited down to 7 odd minutes and took about 4 hours to make

/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMmG_-Q1D2A

It's not perfect but shows you what you can do with basic tool like I Movie :)

Vids like this one below can be made in 5 minutes, not even lol with some basic touches added :)

/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0KGRKLyX_Y

Mind you it can also take ages to upload your vids to your PC as you may have multiple gigabits to transfer so consider this when transferring files :)

Start playing around mate, youtube is also good for tutorials :)

Thankyou Manni you have been a big help ;):)

Looking on youtube at the tutorials now

Cheers

Darren

No worries mate, editing movies can become addictive and consume some time lol enjoy

looking forward to a vid in the future mate

Cheers mate, i will take your advise and go with the ''AVCHD'' program called Super LoiLoScope that you can buy for $88.00. It comes with the Panasonic FT-3 Lumix Camera but only for 30 days free, buy it for $88.00 :)

Have enjoyed your videos Manni :)

Cheers

Darren

Thankyou Manni you have been a big help ;):)

Looking on youtube at the tutorials now

Cheers

Darren

No worries mate, editing movies can become addictive and consume some time lol enjoy

looking forward to a vid in the future mate

Cheers mate, i will take your advise and go with the ''AVCHD'' program called Super LoiLoScope that you can buy for $88.00. It comes with the Panasonic FT-3 Lumix Camera but only for 30 days free, buy it for $88.00 :)

Have enjoyed your videos Manni :)

Cheers

Darren

Yeah good starting point mate !!!

Cheers :)

Thanks for that information Doobsy, just realised that I ordered a sd card last week 32gb sd sandisk, its just arrived they've sent me a different one but its fine they sent a 32gb micro card with sd adapter so i should be able to use it in both devices.

Hey Dave,

You will have zero issues using micro SD with an adapter.

For future reference if you are not buying from overseas check out:

www.umart.com.au

www.msy.com.au

You will struggle to get cheaper computer gear in Oz.

I have a handycam just need to get a camera mount so we can film us smashing into the wahoo when summer comes around.

Should be all good to go soon.

Archived