Cooked or Raw Prawn as bait?

Gordo

Hello everyone

Just wondering whats more effective as bait. I have also used cooked prawn as bait and with some success but i went out fishing on Sunday with a couple of mates using raw prawns and we caught 15 fish in 2 hours. Are raw prawns (more natural) more effective then cooked prawns or are they the same?

Regards

As a rule I'd agree with Angus :)

But I've heard of some strange baits being used :pinch:

Raw chicken for Trevalley

hard boiled eggs for Murray Cod

rice bubbles for mullet just to name a couple

any one got some more odd baits

I haven't seen to many Trevalley at KFC :laugh:

Gaz

i have seen good catches of bream in scarbrough harbour on cooked prawns...but the bream in there eat the poo that comes outta the boats moored ther, so that tells ya somthing i reckon:P

murray cod also like cheese i hear, but i cant find a good peice to troll around yet:P .....

Do cooked prawn stay on the hook better than frozen and thawed?

Apparently the cooked ones are good stuff around trawler moorings and surrounds as the fish are used to them from when the boats get cleaned.

I have a munber of people come into work telling me their fav or \"secret\" bait...the winner seems to be chicken flesh for bream and squire, particularly around Fishermans Island and the rock walls of the Bris river.

Finger licking good even when you don't have fingers:laugh:

Bread molded onto the hook or dough made from flour, cheese and cotton wool has also been a bream bait recommended to me.

I will give all of them a go...so many experiments, so little fishing time:(

Let me know if you have tried any of these and how you went.

rocket-i have had success on chicken snitzels on the summer whiting in deception bay....when u say success i mean i got a feed (several times) but of course live yabbies or even peeled raw prawns got me more fish....another weird bait i have had success is lamb sausages on the brem in nudgee canal..but like i said b4 about bream and what they eat:P .....bored one day out at mud island chasing snapper on soft plastics, i put on a sour worm (lolly) on a jig head and caught many grinners:lol: ....

Bread is always a desperation winner for me. I was once fiswhing off Cylinders Beach at Straddie with my lil overhead estuary rod using bread as bait (coz we forgot bait). Next me were blokes with surf rods, prawns and worms as bait.

No word of a lie, for about an hour those guys got nothing, i got 2 30cm bream.

Also, left over sausages from a bbq do pretty well. We used to use those off West End after a weekend lunch and would always be surprised with the amount of fish we'd catch.

Cooked prawns are a top bait for winter whiting. Will outfish raw prawns 3 to 1.They are much tougher and you peel them and cut into small pieces.

Boiled egg for murray cod. Top bait boil the egg for at least half an hour, peel it and thread line down the centre and then tie it to hook and slide egg down on top of hook and fish under a float. The egg slowly disintergrates and acts as a burley and the cod love them. Its an old bushies trick.

Ray

I like prawns, any fish that wants to get my cooked prawns will have to get through me first!!!

Cooked Prawns are for burley only, after you eat the meat that is.....

I met a guy down near West end a few times who used to fish exclusively with Chicken(raw) and he used to do really well on Bream...

Archived